MLB 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2017

Post by Dr. Medulla »

See, in the AL, you'd have a competent guy rushing the stage while Beckett sits back and downs his chicken and beer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 8:03pm
See, in the AL, you'd have a competent guy rushing the stage while Beckett sits back and downs his chicken and beer.
I love the postseason when the AL guys have to rush the stage themselves.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

My friend Eli made me laugh out loud.

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Funny how this has developed. ARod has reinvented himself as an appealing and knowledgeable broadcaster, while Jeter has become, so far, a harsh executive, not caring a whit about how it looks or loyalties to the franchise.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 6:30am
Funny how this has developed. ARod has reinvented himself as an appealing and knowledgeable broadcaster, while Jeter has become, so far, a harsh executive, not caring a whit about how it looks or loyalties to the franchise.
A weirdly satisfying turn of events, imho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Flex wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A weirdly satisfying turn of events, imho
The Bromance with Ortiz did a lot to redeem him in my eyes. Also just the simple fact that he's actually really insightful. But also I still want to punch him in his stupid face.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah non-player ARod is an okay guy and you certainly can't say the same for Jeter. There's no reason for him to be as cold/ruthless as he's been towards Dawson and Perez. I wonder if this is a personal vendetta of some sort.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah non-player ARod is an okay guy and you certainly can't say the same for Jeter. There's no reason for him to be as cold/ruthless as he's been towards Dawson and Perez. I wonder if this is a personal vendetta of some sort.
Jeter's always been a cold bastard. When he came up, it was treated as modesty or shyness or good manners, but there have been plenty of examples that suggest he isn't Mr. Wonderful. The interview where ARod said it was easier for Jeter because he was surrounded by so many good teammates—duh!—that ended their friendship because Jeter took it as a deep insult. When he dislocated his shoulder sliding into catcher Ken Huckaby's shinguard and wouldn't accept the latter's apology because he decided the injury was intentional. Being team captain and not using his status to tell the media and fans to lay off ARod. But the media loved Jeter and rarely criticized him. Kind of like DiMaggio in that respect—another cold and proud man who wasn't especially close to any teammate by was protected by the press.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://deadspin.com/former-mlb-player- ... 1820900328

Inder, I'm sure, can back me up in being completely, utterly, wholly, totally unsurprised that Zahn is a neanderthal.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 8:41pm
https://deadspin.com/former-mlb-player- ... 1820900328

Inder, I'm sure, can back me up in being completely, utterly, wholly, totally unsurprised that Zahn is a neanderthal.
There are some pretty gross stories getting out on Twitter now — stuff like sending invites to random women on Twitter for a "party"... that was actually a sex party.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

re2pect

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 1:29pm

re2pect

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Baseball Network has been running Ken Burns' Baseball documentary, so I've cheated ahead with my own copy. I'm watching the Extra Innings that came out a few years ago. Four comments:
(1) Goddamn but I love Ichiro and Pedro. Within the steroid era were two skinny guys who still excelled.
(2) That 2001 WS was insanely dramatic. I remember watching, never surprised when the Yankees won all those come-from-behind games and stunned when Arizona got to Mo in the 9th. Just crazy.
(3) Okay, historical significance aside, none of the Red Sox WS wins this century were actual good series. The first two were boring, the third so-so. Yet the four that they lost in seven games (1946, 1967, 1975, and 1986) were all stone-cold classics of drama and, at least 1975, significance.
(4) Seeing the Angels beat Barroid is still satisfying.

edit:
(5) 2003 still hurts. I hate Grady Little so much.