MLB 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: MLB 2017

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 7:26am
revbob wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 6:30am
Funny how this has developed. ARod has reinvented himself as an appealing and knowledgeable broadcaster, while Jeter has become, so far, a harsh executive, not caring a whit about how it looks or loyalties to the franchise.
Yeah non-player ARod is an okay guy and you certainly can't say the same for Jeter. There's no reason for him to be as cold/ruthless as he's been towards Dawson and Perez. I wonder if this is a personal vendetta of some sort.
Jeter's always been a cold bastard. When he came up, it was treated as modesty or shyness or good manners, but there have been plenty of examples that suggest he isn't Mr. Wonderful. The interview where ARod said it was easier for Jeter because he was surrounded by so many good teammates—duh!—that ended their friendship because Jeter took it as a deep insult. When he dislocated his shoulder sliding into catcher Ken Huckaby's shinguard and wouldn't accept the latter's apology because he decided the injury was intentional. Being team captain and not using his status to tell the media and fans to lay off ARod. But the media loved Jeter and rarely criticized him. Kind of like DiMaggio in that respect—another cold and proud man who wasn't especially close to any teammate by was protected by the press.
Idle speculation: one of the interesting things about Jeter vs. A-Rod is that A-Rod's weirdness/dickishness seemed rooted in trying to get everyone to like and appreciate him. Jeter's dickishness, by contrast, seemed much more rooted in selfishness and ego.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 8:41pm
Idle speculation: one of the interesting things about Jeter vs. A-Rod is that A-Rod's weirdness/dickishness seemed rooted in trying to get everyone to like and appreciate him. Jeter's dickishness, by contrast, seemed much more rooted in selfishness and ego.
This seems sensible. Everything we know about ARod suggests a weird and needy kid, desperate for approval, which is utterly bizarre given his gifts—who wouldn't sacrifice goats and virgins to have his talent? And how would Jeter have turned out if he hadn't lucked into being on a great team in his early years, when the media was eager to romanticize the Yankees legend? If he's born ten years earlier and plays on all those good but not good enough Yankees teams of the 80s, when the press is just as likely to be hostile because of Steinbrenner, what kind of person does he become without the media build-up? Talented guy (duh) but his formative years as a major leaguer was non-stop ballwashing in a way few ever experienced. Even DiMaggio got the shiv from the media and public when he held out early in his career.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Aaron Boone the next Yankees manager. Did not expect that *at all.* But I'm thankful not to hear his plugged sinuses on Sunday Night Baseball.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... ts+Twitter
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 9:29pm
Aaron Boone the next Yankees manager. Did not expect that *at all.* But I'm thankful not to hear his plugged sinuses on Sunday Night Baseball.
I like this choice. I hate him and I think he will suck at the job. It’s win-win all around for me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 11:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 9:29pm
I like this choice. I hate him and I think he will suck at the job. It’s win-win all around for me.
I support this position.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fuck yuse guys I hope you wind up with Grady Zimmer Valentine. Fuck the Sox, the rivalry is back!

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:08am
Fuck yuse guys I hope you wind up with Grady Zimmer Valentine. Fuck the Sox, the rivalry is back!
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm re-reading Roger Angell's The Summer Game, a collection of his New Yorker writing on baseball in the 60s. Really lovely stuff, treating baseball players more like actors following some mysterious script, baseball as art. Included is a piece about the '62 Mets, hilarious disaster in progress, which concludes with this footnote:
The boyish optimism of this dawn report on the Mets can be explained partly because it was written too early in the year (the Mets didn’t hit their real stride until July, when they won six games and lost twenty-three), and partly because, as a sometime, nonprofessional Mets-watcher, I often missed their most memorable performances. I missed the game of June 17, for example, against the Cubs, when Marv Throneberry, the new first baseman, began working on his own legend. Early in the game, the Mets caught a Chicago base-runner in a rundown between first and second, and Throneberry managed to collide with him while not having the ball in his possession; reprieved by the interference call, the Cubs scored four times. In the bottom half, Marv attempted to make amends. With two mates aboard, he hit a drive to the right-field bullpen and chuffed happily into third, only to be called out because he had failed to touch first base. Ordinarily, there is hot protest over this kind of appeal play, but the Met bench did not exactly erupt, since it was perfectly plain that Throneberry had also failed to touch second. The Mets lost the game by one run.
He doesn't mention that the next batter hit a home run and Casey Stengel ran out of the dugout to instruct him to touch all the bases. I would have loved to be a Mets fan in that first season. The entertainment value for the ticket price was seriously lopsided for the fan.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:18am
revbob wrote:
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn
Judge has nearly bested Horn's HR and BB totals in just one season. I wont bother with the nerd stats at this point.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 1:47pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn
Judge has nearly bested Horn's HR and BB totals in just one season. I wont bother with the nerd stats at this point.
You forgot to mention strikeouts.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 3:38pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn
Sam Horn doesn't have bolts in his neck or wear a ratty green suit, either.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn
I havent but Judge has also surpassed Horn's runs scored and RBI totals in just a little over 1 season. So bad comparison. Judge has effectively surpassed Horn's career in a single season.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 4:47pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Aaron Judge = Sam Horn
I havent but Judge has also surpassed Horn's runs scored and RBI totals in just a little over 1 season. So bad comparison. Judge has effectively surpassed Horn's career in a single season.
You sound like a priest at a failed exorcism.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Three days ago, I started watching the 2013 ALCS, and just fired up Game 4. If I'm a Tigers fan this series has to just fucking haunt. Yes, the Sox pitching was good, but the Tigers pitching was great. Just amazing that Boston won that series.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 2:26pm
Three days ago, I started watching the 2013 ALCS, and just fired up Game 4. If I'm a Tigers fan this series has to just fucking haunt. Yes, the Sox pitching was good, but the Tigers pitching was great. Just amazing that Boston won that series.
I had no high hopes there. That should have been Detroit’s year.