IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2017

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 10:55am
Was a fan up to For Those About to Rock and lost touch from there, but yeah, earlier stuff with Scott is their best. For a heavy rock band, always thought they had a great sense of rhythm, fairly basic formula but they did it damn well.
Exactly my position. I thought FTATR was a very poor follow up to the brilliant Back In Black.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 11:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
Was a fan up to For Those About to Rock and lost touch from there, but yeah, earlier stuff with Scott is their best. For a heavy rock band, always thought they had a great sense of rhythm, fairly basic formula but they did it damn well.
Exactly my position. I thought FTATR was a very poor follow up to the brilliant Back In Black.
There are fun numbers here and there "Thunderstruck" "Heatseeker" Satellite Blues" "Rock 'n' Roll Train" but yeah I agree with the above pretty much.

R.I.P. Malcolm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I was never a huge fan, but I enjoyed their music - especially the early stuff before they became too repetitive. Malcolm was one of the greatest rhythm guitarists to ever pick up a guitar. Guy was a great song-writer and an absolute powerhouse!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah FTATR isn't great though I think the title track, with that great intro, is up there with their best songs. Back in Black is fantastic, especially considering it came only a year after Scott's death, I'd have it behind Highway to Hell but not by much.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:28pm
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah FTATR isn't great though I think the title track, with that great intro, is up there with their best songs. Back in Black is fantastic, especially considering it came only a year after Scott's death, I'd have it behind Highway to Hell but not by much.
There are many who believe Bon Scott had a big hand in Back In Black, me included. Johnson joined in early April 1980, and the recording sessions started in mid-April, lasting until the end of May. I find it hard to believe the full album could have been written in that timescale, yet Johnson gets a credit on every song. If Scott did contribute it would explain their sudden fall off the cliff after this album.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Got to see them in 2010 which was fun. Great band and I LOVED covering their songs with my cover band I was in. Just great grooves. Angus gets a lot of attention, but I'm sure Malcolm had a big hand in those riffs. The dementia downfall was probably really rough on his friends and family and it's probably good it didn't linger too much longer.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:02pm
Got to see them in 2010 which was fun. Great band and I LOVED covering their songs with my cover band I was in. Just great grooves. Angus gets a lot of attention, but I'm sure Malcolm had a big hand in those riffs. The dementia downfall was probably really rough on his friends and family and it's probably good it didn't linger too much longer.
They were the second band I ever saw, caught them 2 nights in a row on the Back In Black tour. Absolutely brilliant they were.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:07pm
matedog wrote:
They were the second band I ever saw, caught them 2 nights in a row on the Back In Black tour. Absolutely brilliant they were.
I too saw them on the BiB tour at the Hammersmith Odeon and concur. Superb band at the height of their power and great fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:55pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
There are many who believe Bon Scott had a big hand in Back In Black, me included. Johnson joined in early April 1980, and the recording sessions started in mid-April, lasting until the end of May. I find it hard to believe the full album could have been written in that timescale, yet Johnson gets a credit on every song. If Scott did contribute it would explain their sudden fall off the cliff after this album.
It does sound most plausible, given there's only 5 months between Bon's death and the album release. And You Shook Me in particular does seem for all the world like a quintessential Bon Scott song. Not sure why they'd have felt the need to whitewash Scott's contribution, whatever it was, guess they had their reasons if that was the case.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:10pm
Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:07pm
matedog wrote:
I too saw them on the BiB tour at the Hammersmith Odeon and concur. Superb band at the height of their power and great fun.
Had a few chances to see them, all spurned for one reason or another, regret to say. Always thought Brian sounded a bit weak vocally on the live recordings I've listened to, but that maybe just in the past couple of years or so.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:29pm
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It does sound most plausible, given there's only 5 months between Bon's death and the album release. And You Shook Me in particular does seem for all the world like a quintessential Bon Scott song. Not sure why they'd have felt the need to whitewash Scott's contribution, whatever it was, guess they had their reasons if that was the case.
Apparently it really was a bang-bang quick job that attempted to fresh-write while they had momentum, and that had been the plan all along ever since the last tour with Scott ended. So there probably isn't much of anything on there dating to the Scott era, other than maybe some instrumental fragments that were collected from unrecorded tour rehearsal jams. I think the opening riff to "Back In Black" was something Angus had been hoarding since '79 (there are recordings of him riffing it alone with tape running), but it hadn't been fleshed out into a full arrangement.

There are confirmed zero Scott lyrics or lyric fragments on the album. And he did have a whole notebook's worth of writings at time of death that for all we know have never been used anywhere since. That decision was a unanimous (incl. Johnson) band vote that none of Scott's writings could be used on the album to avoid any appearance of profiteering off the dead, and Johnson made it a condition of his hire because he was too uncomfortable with the prospect. So those writing credits are all legit, and Johnson says he nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to write a full album's worth that quickly with a bunch of guys he didn't know and a dictator of a producer like Mutt Lange. Given what's verified about the details of those sessions, it makes it all the more remarkable that he slid into the role so smoothly. If Scott had anything credit-worthy on the album, it would have to be some instrumental part they jammed with him which he advocated for using...and that starts going right down a splitting-hairs wormhole.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:

Apparently it really was a bang-bang quick job that attempted to fresh-write while they had momentum, and that had been the plan all along ever since the last tour with Scott ended. So there probably isn't much of anything on there dating to the Scott era, other than maybe some instrumental fragments that were collected from unrecorded tour rehearsal jams. I think the opening riff to "Back In Black" was something Angus had been hoarding since '79 (there are recordings of him riffing it alone with tape running), but it hadn't been fleshed out into a full arrangement.

There are confirmed zero Scott lyrics or lyric fragments on the album. And he did have a whole notebook's worth of writings at time of death that for all we know have never been used anywhere since. That decision was a unanimous (incl. Johnson) band vote that none of Scott's writings could be used on the album to avoid any appearance of profiteering off the dead, and Johnson made it a condition of his hire because he was too uncomfortable with the prospect. So those writing credits are all legit, and Johnson says he nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to write a full album's worth that quickly with a bunch of guys he didn't know and a dictator of a producer like Mutt Lange. Given what's verified about the details of those sessions, it makes it all the more remarkable that he slid into the role so smoothly. If Scott had anything credit-worthy on the album, it would have to be some instrumental part they jammed with him which he advocated for using...and that starts going right down a splitting-hairs wormhole.
I've read the same thing regarding Johnson not wanting to use Scott's writings. I think that the fact he had to write this album in super quick time was the reason it's so good. The pressure not allowing for any skackness to set in. Amazing he didn't crack up as you mentioned. This also explains why the follow up is nowhere near as good having put his all into the previous album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 2:01pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 1:47pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I've read the same thing regarding Johnson not wanting to use Scott's writings. I think that the fact he had to write this album in super quick time was the reason it's so good. The pressure not allowing for any skackness to set in. Amazing he didn't crack up as you mentioned. This also explains why the follow up is nowhere near as good having put his all into the previous album.
I can honestly see why the questions would be asked, Johnston never proved himself as a lyricist of much quality so the notion that he produced a brilliant albums worth in a few weeks is questionable, to me at least. But there are no facts to prove it either way and I'd have no issue with Brian Johnston at all. It's his voice on the album, he's the one doing credit to those songs and he does such a good job that I can't even conceive anyone else, let alone Bon Scott, singing on that album. I've always been curious about the title track, though. It reads like it should be a tribute to Scott, but try as I might I can't decipher how exactly that tribute is supposed to go. Maybe it's intended to be subtle, but AC/DC were never meant to be a subtle kind of band.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive never gone down this road and the internet is the internet but I know ive seen some stuff online claiming to be Bon Scott singing some versions of a few of these songs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

David Cassidy in multiple organ failure and a medically induced coma.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft