2016 Great Pacific Northwest IMCT Meetup

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: 2016 Great Pacific Northwest IMCT Meetup

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Crickets and grasshoppers? And you give Heston shit about what he eats? Man, the line between trendy, craft foodie fair and a post-nuclear annihilation diet, scrabbling for survival off pests and vermin has really blurred, hasn't it?
Heston would just boil the shit out of his insects.
And put them in a pie.

But seriously James the only ones you're hearing saying they eat insects are Hoy and Kory. It's been well established that Hoy is Hoy (and you're well aware of the myriad of odd things that entails ) and Kory hates the Ramones so neither are the norm for the north American contigent.
Kory and Matey are the members most likely to enjoy fashionable hipster grub, yeah. Or "offal" as it was previously called.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I eat my insects straight from the packet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:I eat my insects straight from the packet.
Cromwell's Old Fashioned Beetles, Midges, and Katydids. They're not just for teatime.™
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:Hi crazy kids and cretins...the Vans Hagar are going to be in Seattle from December 22-27. Kory - will you be in town? Anybody else want to meet up?
Just beware, Kory will probably make you watch the Ben Affleck Daredevil film. Multiple times.
The "multiple" only comes in if you fall asleep.

I will be in town! What are you guys coming up for? As I recall, you have a friend up here. Just a visit?
Cool! Yes, one of my best friends from college lives there and it's been a few years since we visited her. She lives in Fremont - is that close to you? Would love to meet for a drink or ten.
Ten is certainly closer to my usual. Yes, Fremont is just on the other side of Queen Anne Hill, where I live. Should be no problem! Shall we set a proper date as it gets closer? I'll be unavailable from the 24th–26th, but otherwise I should be free.
Sounds like a plan!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I've got to admit I've never eaten crickets/grasshoppers, but from what I hear they're an excellent source of protein and far better for the environment than using a clear-cut rainforest as pasture for beef cattle.

And, I have eaten my share of shrimp, which I suspect is biologically similar enough that I shouldn't be as squeamish about eating bugs as I still am.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

When I was in Beijing, I got to try scorpions:

Tasted like musty dirt. Pretty nasty.
The guac I had used crickets like this:
Nothing too big and juicy.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend once gave me a lollipop with a scorpion embedded in the middle. I'm not sure whether I was actually expected to consume the whole thing, so I left it in its wrapper. Not sure whether I still have it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:A friend once gave me a lollipop with a scorpion embedded in the middle. I'm not sure whether I was actually expected to consume the whole thing, so I left it in its wrapper. Not sure whether I still have it.
I've seen those at airport gift shops in places. Seems more like a conversation piece than an edible.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:I've got to admit I've never eaten crickets/grasshoppers, but from what I hear they're an excellent source of protein and far better for the environment than using a clear-cut rainforest as pasture for beef cattle.

And, I have eaten my share of shrimp, which I suspect is biologically similar enough that I shouldn't be as squeamish about eating bugs as I still am.
I've been reading a lot about this too, but of course there's plenty of people that will contradict it. It's hard to tell who's telling the truth.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:I've got to admit I've never eaten crickets/grasshoppers, but from what I hear they're an excellent source of protein and far better for the environment than using a clear-cut rainforest as pasture for beef cattle.

I've been reading a lot about this too, but of course there's plenty of people that will contradict it. It's hard to tell who's telling the truth.
I'd don't trust the insect lobby.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'd don't trust the insect lobby.
I'll put my Big Mac against anything Big Insect tells me I have to do. *spit on the ground and crack open a Bud*

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

If I step on a raw shrimp I don't think a bunch of beige-is goo will squirting out of the equivalent of the thorax/abdomen.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Crickets and grasshoppers? And you give Heston shit about what he eats? Man, the line between trendy, craft foodie fair and a post-nuclear annihilation diet, scrabbling for survival off pests and vermin has really blurred, hasn't it?
Heston would just boil the shit out of his insects.
And put them in a pie.

But seriously James the only ones you're hearing saying they eat insects are Hoy and Kory. It's been well established that Hoy is Hoy (and you're well aware of the myriad of odd things that entails ) and Kory hates the Ramones so neither are the norm for the north American contigent.
Kory and Matey are the members most likely to enjoy fashionable hipster grub, yeah. Or "offal" as it was previously called.
It's really more that I'll try anything at least once. As I mentioned before, the grasshoppers weren't quite as I'd hoped.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I envy you all that can do this. While I'd love to meet all of you, I'd be terrified of coming out and asking to meet up. And then the idea of trying to carry a conversation... X(

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:I envy you all that can do this. While I'd love to meet all of you, I'd be terrified of coming out and asking to meet up. And then the idea of trying to carry a conversation... X(
I've only ever met Flex and he's a robot so you'd be wise to be terrified. He rules the greater Dillon area with an iron fist. As long as he has a steady supply of booze drugs and lose women you won't get much trouble. But once one of those things runs out...

I missed the chance to have pizza, crickets and IPA with Kory last year because I largely don't pay attention to where everyone lives and didn't find out until after I'd returned from Seattle.

I'm hoping to meetup with BBE in a few weeks when I take Manhattan.

I mainly go places where IMCT people don't live.

Where do you call home Mimi ?