The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:31pm
Thanks, gang. I've been in the job 4 years and historically enjoyed it as much as a normal person can enjoy working for a big corporation, but my department is getting restructured and I was already last man standing from the old regime, so knew the guillotine was a likely scenario. Having a meeting soon to discuss severance, which will hopefully tide me over through the summer as I job search.

Plus side is even more time for me to get Extremely Online for the next little bit!
Extremely Online, you say...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:02pm
Are you and the missuz committed to staying where you are or open to moving? Not that I'm suggesting anything, just curious about where your inclinations lie right now.
Our plan was, and remains, to move to the Denver metro area and out of the mountains where the job market is much larger for both of us. But I don't see us leaving Colorado, besides loving it here both of our professional networks are here and, at least for me, my skill and knowledge set is really all locally and regionally based.

Both of our respective sets of parents are in Colorado too, it'd be tough to leave the support network.
That all makes sense. Apart from wanting to be close to family. :shifty:

In the meantime, start door-knocking for Biden.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 3:41pm
Getting laid off! Fun and exciting times ahead, no doubt.
Sucks balls.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
Thanks, gang. I've been in the job 4 years and historically enjoyed it as much as a normal person can enjoy working for a big corporation, but my department is getting restructured and I was already last man standing from the old regime, so knew the guillotine was a likely scenario. Having a meeting soon to discuss severance, which will hopefully tide me over through the summer as I job search.

Plus side is even more time for me to get Extremely Online for the next little bit!
You're eminently hireable. Looking for work sucks, but I know you'll find something even better than where you started.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Good luck on the job search and maybe you can have some fun doing it. Ya' never know!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Flex wrote:
Moar Pex Lives!

Also sorry bud, i know how much this sucks. I've got some folks in the Denver area, let me know if you need help with the job search.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex takes a part time umpiring job.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sorry about the bad news, Flexy — good luck on the job hunt!

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Flex wrote:

Sorry for the turn of events, Flex, and best of luck in relocating to and finding a new job in Denver.

Just be sure to get a place with a fold-out couch, eh?

'Coz I'm still gonna return to Colorado when the time is right to ski/see a concert and drunkenly crash at your place. :mrgreen:

I think I've already mentioned it here on IMCT, but I was re-organized out of a job (along with about 40 of my colleagues) in July 2018.

I got a good severance package, and found a good job fairly quickly (as these things go), but it was at the state Capitol, and only lasted while the Minnesota Legislature was in session, from January through June.

So, once again, as of two weeks ago, I am on the hunt for a new job ... :meh:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Spiff wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:57am
Sorry for the turn of events, Flex, and best of luck in relocating to and finding a new job in Denver.

'Coz I'm still gonna return to Colorado when the time is right to ski/see a concert and drunkenly crash at your place. :mrgreen:

I think I've already mentioned it here on IMCT, but I was re-organized out of a job (along with about 40 of my colleagues) in July 2018.

I got a good severance package, and found a good job fairly quickly (as these things go), but it was at the state Capitol, and only lasted while the Minnesota Legislature was in session, from January through June.

Sorry to hear that Spiff- will you have that job open to you come next January or was it a one off?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Spiff wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:57am
Flex wrote:

I'm so sorry, Spiff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rats, very sorry to hear about this Spiff. Was this a surprise or did you know that once the session ended you'd be hitting the pavement again?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 12:09pm
Rats, very sorry to hear about this Spiff. Was this a surprise or did you know that once the session ended you'd be hitting the pavement again?
Not a surprise. I signed on knowing that this was a session-only job and that it would end in June.

And, I was a model employee, so I can get 5 straight months or so of work next year when the 2019-2020 biennial session resumes, if I so choose.

But, that's definitely Plan B, as I'd like to find something else soon.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 12:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 12:09pm
Not a surprise. I signed on knowing that this was a session-only job and that it would end in June.

And, I was a model employee, so I can get 5 straight months or so of work next year when the 2019-2020 biennial session resumes, if I so choose.

But, that's definitely Plan B, as I'd like to find something else soon.
Definitely, but it's good to have that in your back pocket. And another round of the work could lead to transitioning into something permanent. I'm always optimistic about the prospects of people here. :cool:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

These things have a habit of having a silver lining, good luck Spiff and Flex.