The Job Search Woes Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Job Search Woes Thread

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:30pm
Need a change in career. Need something where I can actually climb a ladder as opposed to staying in the same crappy situation for the next 40 years. Feel I've just wasted the last 8 years since graduating uni going from the same nowhere job to the next. Money is far from the most important thing in the world but things aren't exactly great and no signs of that changing unless I get the bollocks to change career and find something new. No idea where to start.
I was in this situation about 7 years ago, it was working retail, living in agony trying to figure out what I wanted to take the risk on going back to school for. Among the options were zoology, sommelier school, and when I got desperate, even stuff like real estate. I had been doing design on the side for a couple years and a friend suggested that I just do that, which was like a light bulb moment. I suspect if you keep it in mind, you'll have a similar situation.

If you want the good life, I recommend going to school for coding/programming, though. It's where the bucks are and once you're good at it, it's pretty fun and easy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
Need a change in career. Need something where I can actually climb a ladder as opposed to staying in the same crappy situation for the next 40 years. Feel I've just wasted the last 8 years since graduating uni going from the same nowhere job to the next. Money is far from the most important thing in the world but things aren't exactly great and no signs of that changing unless I get the bollocks to change career and find something new. No idea where to start.
Aren’t you a qualified butcher, what did you study at Uni?
Why not aim to get your own butchers shop or business.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:54pm
Mimi wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:51pm
JennyB wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:43pm
Mimi wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:16pm
Didn't know how many creepy/scary people frequented libraries, so I'm looking for a new gig. Fuck this shit.
Oh no, Meemz. I'm sorry. It's true, though. I used to take VH, Jr. to the library to meet with his math tutor. There were always a shit ton of pedo types there.
Right? I cringe when I see kids in the library unsupervised. It is not a safe place.
I just finished a novel where the bad guy posed as a children's librarian to kidnap and murder young girls!
:scared: :scared:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:00pm
Mimi wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:51pm
JennyB wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:43pm
Mimi wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 4:16pm
Didn't know how many creepy/scary people frequented libraries, so I'm looking for a new gig. Fuck this shit.
Oh no, Meemz. I'm sorry. It's true, though. I used to take VH, Jr. to the library to meet with his math tutor. There were always a shit ton of pedo types there.
Right? I cringe when I see kids in the library unsupervised. It is not a safe place.
And it wasn't always like that. I've noticed in the last 15 years that sketchier and sketchier people hang out in public libraries. Is this (partially) the result of free internet in libraries?
It could be.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Well, I've been unemployed since June.

But I'm keeping busy with music and traveling. I just returned on Tuesday from a three-week motorcycle trip to Central and Eastern Europe.

If all goes as planned, I will return to a writing job that I had from January to June of this year. That job was at the Minnesota Legislature, in the Public Information Office. It was a very enjoyable, but only temporary, gig. It exists only when the legislature is in session.

I've been doing my usual summer job, which used to be on top of my full-time job of 20+ years, which is to teach motorcycle classes April through September.

Then, I will do my winter part-time job, which is to teach downhill skiing.

So, my two part-time gigs are my only gigs from June until February.

I guess I'm semi-retired now.

And that's okay by me.

I am becoming a better musician ... I have a lot more time to practice now.

Silver lining and all ...
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 3:37pm

But I'm keeping busy with music and traveling. I just returned on Tuesday from a three-week motorcycle trip to Central and Eastern Europe.

If all goes as planned, I will return to a writing job that I had from January to June of this year. That job was at the Minnesota Legislature, in the Public Information Office. It was a very enjoyable, but only temporary, gig. It exists only when the legislature is in session.

I've been doing my usual summer job, which used to be on top of my full-time job of 20+ years, which is to teach motorcycle classes April through September.

And that's okay by me.

Plus your clothing budget is minimal.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:10pm
BitterTom wrote:
Aren’t you a qualified butcher, what did you study at Uni?
Why not aim to get your own butchers shop or business.
Qualified yeah, and with 8 years experience. Money is shocking though. Studied history at uni so not something I can just get work in sadly. Thinking of an accountancy course at the moment, touched on paperwork in the butchers and think it could be something I could potentially do. Need to do more research though before I dive into any problems.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:02pm
BitterTom wrote:
I was in this situation about 7 years ago, it was working retail, living in agony trying to figure out what I wanted to take the risk on going back to school for. Among the options were zoology, sommelier school, and when I got desperate, even stuff like real estate. I had been doing design on the side for a couple years and a friend suggested that I just do that, which was like a light bulb moment. I suspect if you keep it in mind, you'll have a similar situation.

If you want the good life, I recommend going to school for coding/programming, though. It's where the bucks are and once you're good at it, it's pretty fun and easy.
Thanks Kory, like I said to 101, I'm thinking of an accountancy course, been ok with numbers so something I may look into. Good to hear though that someone else has been through exactly what I'm feeling, just feels never ending though it'll get there.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Thanks Kory, like I said to 101, I'm thinking of an accountancy course, been ok with numbers so something I may look into. Good to hear though that someone else has been through exactly what I'm feeling, just feels never ending though it'll get there.
What about teaching? Probably easy conversion if you already have the degree?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 5:01pm
BitterTom wrote:
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

What about teaching? Probably easy conversion if you already have the degree?
My mum, dad and brother teach funnily enough, though seeing their work related stress growing up really put me off. My mum especially had it hard, having kids physically attack her and dealing with dickhead parents drove her to counselling. Thankfully they both lecture now and are much happier, but my brother is adamant he wants to change career.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Spiff wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 3:37pm

And that's okay by me.

That is the life mate, sounds like a whale of a time.

I had an interview at work a few months back which would have involved moving from my manual job into an office and getting a substantial pay rise. I made it through to the last two candidates but the other guy pipped me at the post. I'm guessing one of the reasons was he had age on his side (he's 25). He has since gained a stone and lost a rather noticeable amount of hair. He also has this haunted look about him, and a fixed rictus grin. I don't think I'll bother next time the position comes up.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BitterTom wrote:
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

You've inspired me. I'm going to enroll in an online accounting course. I was going to do it over the summer, but talked myself out of it. Now I wish I had done it. I would have been so much further ahead. This gives me something to aim for and it's a legitimate reason to cut back my hours.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 9:23am
You've inspired me. I'm going to enroll in an online accounting course. I was going to do it over the summer, but talked myself out of it. Now I wish I had done it. I would have been so much further ahead. This gives me something to aim for and it's a legitimate reason to cut back my hours.
I'm rooting for you, M. :approve:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 9:37am
Mimi wrote:
I'm rooting for you, M. :approve:
:kiss:

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Mimi wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Kory wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Yep that's been me, been on and off the idea so many times. I need to do it though or things will never change. Best of luck Mimi!