Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71525
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Dr. Medulla » 11 Nov 2017, 6:27pm

Finished watching up the second season this afternoon. A few observations …
• Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present day, so what's the significance of being some thirty years ago?
• I was impressed at how so many storylines were handled, weaving in and out and building to the main story. It really was strong construction.
• That said, I was a bit disappointed by how minimized Eleven was used in relation to that main story. She's not quite a deus ex machina, but she doesn't join the main narrative until the end to help save the day. At the same time, knowing that this is just one "book" of a large story, it's defensible if the next season's central story is related to her personal development in this one.
• Billy looks a lot like Robert Downey, Jr. in the mid-80s.
• Man, Rudy got fleshy.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5367
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by revbob » 11 Nov 2017, 7:19pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 6:27pm
Finished watching up the second season this afternoon. A few observations …
Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present ....
Well Im guessing they didn't want to be caught up in all the trappings of modern technology. I could see this happening more and more in the future with writers.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5367
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by revbob » 11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm

JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71525
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Dr. Medulla » 11 Nov 2017, 8:02pm

revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 6:27pm
Finished watching up the second season this afternoon. A few observations …
Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present ....
Well Im guessing they didn't want to be caught up in all the trappings of modern technology. I could see this happening more and more in the future with writers.
I'm skeptical. It's possible, but there are plenty of ways for writers—especially as good as these guys clearly are—to avoid technological outs. Admittedly, a cultural historian is going to look for a cultural historical answer here, but I can't help but think that a point is being made about the Reagan years here. The quality of the work leads me to think that there's something deliberate in the time setting.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7509
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Kory » 15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm

revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
Last edited by Kory on 15 Nov 2017, 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7509
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Kory » 15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm

Double post
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5367
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by revbob » 15 Nov 2017, 11:07pm

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm
revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
You raise a good point. I could see not knowing Siouxsie and I suppose thinking Kiss would be somewhat logical in that sense. Im thinking back as I would have been roughly the age of the character at the time. And i wasnt familiar with her at the time either. Not sure what I would have thought. The record store I went to had some punk but not a lot and that was in the NYC suburbs.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15460
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by JennyB » 16 Nov 2017, 11:53am

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm
revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
That is a very good point.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7509
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Kory » 16 Nov 2017, 1:32pm

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:07pm
Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm
revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
You raise a good point. I could see not knowing Siouxsie and I suppose thinking Kiss would be somewhat logical in that sense. Im thinking back as I would have been roughly the age of the character at the time. And i wasnt familiar with her at the time either. Not sure what I would have thought. The record store I went to had some punk but not a lot and that was in the NYC suburbs.
JennyB wrote:That is a very good point.
And the crowd goes wild! I sort of just assumed Jonathan belonged to a tape club or something.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests