Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Stranger Things [SPOILERS]

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished watching up the second season this afternoon. A few observations …
• Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present day, so what's the significance of being some thirty years ago?
• I was impressed at how so many storylines were handled, weaving in and out and building to the main story. It really was strong construction.
• That said, I was a bit disappointed by how minimized Eleven was used in relation to that main story. She's not quite a deus ex machina, but she doesn't join the main narrative until the end to help save the day. At the same time, knowing that this is just one "book" of a large story, it's defensible if the next season's central story is related to her personal development in this one.
• Billy looks a lot like Robert Downey, Jr. in the mid-80s.
• Man, Rudy got fleshy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 6:27pm
Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present ....
Well Im guessing they didn't want to be caught up in all the trappings of modern technology. I could see this happening more and more in the future with writers.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 10:31am
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
Yeah that struck me as really odd too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 6:27pm
Have the creators explained why it's set in the mid-80s? The show is so well constructed that I can't believe that it's just a gimmick or appeal to some kind of nostalgia. The story could mostly be told in the present ....
Well Im guessing they didn't want to be caught up in all the trappings of modern technology. I could see this happening more and more in the future with writers.
I'm skeptical. It's possible, but there are plenty of ways for writers—especially as good as these guys clearly are—to avoid technological outs. Admittedly, a cultural historian is going to look for a cultural historical answer here, but I can't help but think that a point is being made about the Reagan years here. The quality of the work leads me to think that there's something deliberate in the time setting.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
JennyB wrote:
Why did Jonathan, who would fit right in here on IMCT, mistake someone's Siouxsie Sioux Halloween costume for a KISS costume? I guess he's the Heston of Hawkins?
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
Last edited by Kory on 15 Nov 2017, 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Double post

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:18pm
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
How available was that stuff in the midwest though? Especially in that tiny-ass town that probably doesn't have a record store. Just because he knows a few bands doesn't mean he's going to know all of them.
You raise a good point. I could see not knowing Siouxsie and I suppose thinking Kiss would be somewhat logical in that sense. Im thinking back as I would have been roughly the age of the character at the time. And i wasnt familiar with her at the time either. Not sure what I would have thought. The record store I went to had some punk but not a lot and that was in the NYC suburbs.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
That is a very good point.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:07pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
You raise a good point. I could see not knowing Siouxsie and I suppose thinking Kiss would be somewhat logical in that sense. Im thinking back as I would have been roughly the age of the character at the time. And i wasnt familiar with her at the time either. Not sure what I would have thought. The record store I went to had some punk but not a lot and that was in the NYC suburbs.
JennyB wrote:That is a very good point.
And the crowd goes wild! I sort of just assumed Jonathan belonged to a tape club or something.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Surprised that no one mentioned that in addition to SISOSIG, a bit of “This Is Radio Clash” is played during an episode in season 2.

Also, in an interview w/ Charlie Heaton, who plays Jonathan Byers, he says that Winona Ryder gave him a Clash tour t-shirt. Wonder which shirt.

“I can't remember how far [into filming] we were, but she was like, ‘Charlie! I got you a present!.’ And because Jonathan's really into the Clash, [she gave me] a Clash tour t-shirt. An original she got when she had gone to see them when she was younger. She was like, ‘I used to go and watch the Clash a lot and I got this shirt, but I want you to have it.’ So that was such a special present. I still have it -- I've got it on me.”

“I would wear that everywhere. I found it kind of funny though that the Clash was Jonathan’s favorite band. Are you a big fan yourself?”

“No. I know the Clash, but no. Not really, ha.”

http://www.papermag.com/charlie-heaton- ... 44253.html

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 May 2018, 6:29pm
Surprised that no one mentioned that in addition to SISOSIG, a bit of “This Is Radio Clash” is played during an episode in season 2.

Also, in an interview w/ Charlie Heaton, who plays Jonathan Byers, he says that Winona Ryder gave him a Clash tour t-shirt. Wonder which shirt.

“I can't remember how far [into filming] we were, but she was like, ‘Charlie! I got you a present!.’ And because Jonathan's really into the Clash, [she gave me] a Clash tour t-shirt. An original she got when she had gone to see them when she was younger. She was like, ‘I used to go and watch the Clash a lot and I got this shirt, but I want you to have it.’ So that was such a special present. I still have it -- I've got it on me.”

“I would wear that everywhere. I found it kind of funny though that the Clash was Jonathan’s favorite band. Are you a big fan yourself?”

The last time the Clash played in the US, Winona was 12 years old, lucky to have seen them if that's the case.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2018, 7:09pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

The last time the Clash played in the US, Winona was 12 years old, lucky to have seen them if that's the case.
Yeah, probably not a tour tee.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 May 2018, 7:25pm
Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

i saw them when i was 12, didn't see winona there though
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

tepista wrote:
26 May 2018, 7:42pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

‘I used to go and watch the Clash a lot...’

A lot?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 May 2018, 8:55pm
tepista wrote:
26 May 2018, 7:42pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

‘I used to go and watch the Clash a lot...’

A lot?
well thats what he said that she said, she might not have said that, and she might have bought the shirt 5 years ago.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak