Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2017, 2:10pm

Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:45am
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:14am
I have never ever ever never never ever heard it called anything but kickball. As far as I'm concerned central and eastern Canada has forfeited all legitimacy over this.
I find it hard to believe. Although I can imagine my Canadian cousins saying that along with the other goofy things they used to say.
There's always regionalisms, but they're usually semi-comprehensible. Soccer baseball makes no goddamned sense at all. How would that catch on when the more sensible term kickball was in circulation and free for use?
So, do you call a hoodie a "bunnyhug"?
But of course—there's something quite adorable about the term. The University of Saskatchewan sells bunnyhugs with the name and definition on them. We've purchased a few for friends over the years.
EDIT: the most annoying one for me (other than "pencil crayons") was learning half of Canada says poster board and half says Bristol board, because speaking as an artist, those are two different things.
I've asked the board about pencil crayons before, mainly because I goofily thought it was a universal term. I don't think I've ever used the term poster board before; growing up, it was Bristol board. So I don't know the difference between the two.

Another regionalism that I don't think I've shared here. Not sure if it's across Canada, but in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, underwear is gotch or gitch (as in, "Don't get your gitch in a knot"), while in Alberta it's gonch. And a wedgie is a gotchie pull.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Inder » 26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm

... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5282
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by revbob » 26 Aug 2017, 6:18pm

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?
Last I knew they were two separate things, pencils and crayons, not soccer-pencils, maple -crayons nor whstever other crazy term you canucks might dream up.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2017, 6:50pm

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?
I think they said colored pencils.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49229
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Wolter » 26 Aug 2017, 7:15pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?
I think they said colored pencils.
Yes.

And Bristol board is an artist quality heavy paper board, not the flimsy thing that poster board is.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2017, 7:32pm

Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?
I think they said colored pencils.
Yes.

And Bristol board is an artist quality heavy paper board, not the flimsy thing that poster board is.
Poster board isn't the same as construction paper, is it?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Inder » 26 Aug 2017, 8:08pm

Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2017, 8:29pm

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:08pm
Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?
Crayons are coloured wax (or some wax substitute); pencils and pencil crayons are graphite. Coloured pencil is a more accurate description.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Inder » 26 Aug 2017, 8:48pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:29pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:08pm
Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?
Crayons are coloured wax (or some wax substitute); pencils and pencil crayons are graphite. Coloured pencil is a more accurate description.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_pencil
Unlike graphite and charcoal pencils, colored pencils' cores are wax- or oil-based and contain varying proportions of pigments, additives, and binding agents

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2017, 9:15pm

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:29pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 8:08pm
Isn't the stuff of pencil crayons the same thing as crayons, but encased within a pencil? Thus, a pencil crayon?
Crayons are coloured wax (or some wax substitute); pencils and pencil crayons are graphite. Coloured pencil is a more accurate description.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_pencil
Unlike graphite and charcoal pencils, colored pencils' cores are wax- or oil-based and contain varying proportions of pigments, additives, and binding agents
Huh. Pencil crayons are certainly harder than regular crayons, more like a #2. I just assumed they were regular pencils but dyed.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49229
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Wolter » 26 Aug 2017, 11:27pm

The very fact that you don't understand how dorky "pencil crayons" sounds is why the rest of the world makes fun of Canada.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49229
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Wolter » 26 Aug 2017, 11:30pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:32pm
Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 6:50pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 5:48pm
... what does everybody else call pencil crayons?
I think they said colored pencils.
Yes.

And Bristol board is an artist quality heavy paper board, not the flimsy thing that poster board is.
Poster board isn't the same as construction paper, is it?
No. It's a cheap, lightweight card stock paper, usually glossy on one side.

Bristol board is a higher quality artist grade card stock paper. It's sometimes glossy on one side, though I prefer the vellum finish, as gloss picks up fingerprints and that can make inking difficult.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by JennyB » 29 Aug 2017, 1:21pm

Can we all agree though that adult kickball (or baseball soccer, if you will) leagues are terrible?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 29 Aug 2017, 1:28pm

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 1:21pm
Can we all agree though that adult kickball (or baseball soccer, if you will) leagues are terrible?
Some games are for kids; kickball is one of them.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5282
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by revbob » 29 Aug 2017, 8:54pm

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 1:21pm
Can we all agree though that adult kickball (or baseball soccer, if you will) leagues are terrible?
Baseball soccer is worse by virtue of its naming convention.

Kickball has gotten pretty big around here. I used to think it was for those with very limited skills/atheletic ability. That turned out not to be true so I thought it was just people who didn't want to be all serious but that also turns out to not be true. So yeah, I don't get it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drowninghere, Google [Bot] and 2 guests