Oh Canada!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 3:19pm
Hello,

I have never tried this.

Coca cola maple.PNG
What's amusing about this is that Quebeckers are notorious for their preference for Pepsi (I've come across the term les Pepsis to describe them).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 3:19pm
Hello,

I have never tried this.

Coca cola maple.PNG
7-11's in some NY stores used to have an iced tea with maple syrup. Good stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 9:44pm
Okay, real Canadian content here. I was working in my office upstairs and I smelled toast. I went downstairs, saw the toaster, and told The Boss that I was relieved. She immediately understood what I meant and laughed. Why?

Context:
Canadians who grew up watching television in the 1990's are, by and large, more alarmed by the smell of burnt toast than almost anyone else on Earth.

"Do you guys smell that?" they've been known to ask, "or am I about to have a seizure?"

The phenomenon has been well-documented online over the years, prompting dozens of explanations about olfactory hallucinations (phantom smells) and their many, non-seizure-related causes.

And yet, the image of Dr. Wilder Penfield performing his revolutionary "Montréal Procedure" on an exposed brain as his patient proclaims "I can smell burnt toast!" endures in the hearts and minds of millennials across the country thanks to a Canadian Heritage Minute aired in 1991.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/canada ... zure%3F%22

So, yeah, to understand Canadian Xers, all you need to know is Degrassi and Canadian Heritage PSAs. And probably Bryan Adams and Loverboy is in there.
And April Wine.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, real Canadian content here. I was working in my office upstairs and I smelled toast. I went downstairs, saw the toaster, and told The Boss that I was relieved. She immediately understood what I meant and laughed. Why?

Context:
Canadians who grew up watching television in the 1990's are, by and large, more alarmed by the smell of burnt toast than almost anyone else on Earth.

"Do you guys smell that?" they've been known to ask, "or am I about to have a seizure?"

The phenomenon has been well-documented online over the years, prompting dozens of explanations about olfactory hallucinations (phantom smells) and their many, non-seizure-related causes.

And yet, the image of Dr. Wilder Penfield performing his revolutionary "Montréal Procedure" on an exposed brain as his patient proclaims "I can smell burnt toast!" endures in the hearts and minds of millennials across the country thanks to a Canadian Heritage Minute aired in 1991.

So, yeah, to understand Canadian Xers, all you need to know is Degrassi and Canadian Heritage PSAs. And probably Bryan Adams and Loverboy is in there.
And April Wine.
Truthfully speaking, I've never met an April Wine fan. They must have been out there, but I think they must have been a band for Boomers.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:34pm
Spiff wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Context:

And April Wine.
Truthfully speaking, I've never met an April Wine fan. They must have been out there, but I think they must have been a band for Boomers.
They aren't on Tears Are Not Enough, so they must be second rate even by Canada's bottom of the barrel standards for culture.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 12:34pm
Spiff wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Context:

And April Wine.
They aren't on Tears Are Not Enough, so they must be second rate even by Canada's bottom of the barrel standards for culture.
Ha! And yet, in terms of mid-80s Canadian music culture, that is the right metric. Tho Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot are on there, so it's not a perfect measuring stick.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

FB reminded me of this gem:
Wolter wrote:
02 Feb 2011, 12:27pm
Canada: taking the most boring elements of British and American culture, combining them poorly, and then spending their entire existence being smug that they're not us.
Source thread was something about a deep Sandinista barely a songh B-Side Radio 5 or something and we ended up just shitting on Canada: viewtopic.php?p=230412#p230412
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 7:27pm
Wolter wrote:
Canada: taking the most boring elements of British and American culture, combining them poorly, and then spending their entire existence being smug that they're not us.
Source thread was something about a deep Sandinista barely a songh B-Side Radio 5 or something and we ended up just shitting on Canada: viewtopic.php?p=230412#p230412
I'm sorry, I can't hear you above my sobs. :cry:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 7:27pm
Wolter wrote:
What a bastard I am to those poor canadians. I need to be careful. I might actually say something that mean to someone from a real country.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 7:50pm
I don't read this thread: http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 39#p703239

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 7:53pm
revbob wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 7:50pm
I don't read this thread: http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 39#p703239
Harumpf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Very bizarre local story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/m ... 07?cmp=rss

There was an episode of House that worked the same territory. A building collapsed and one woman who survived but in very beat-up shape and in a coma was misidentified for one who actually died.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 10:06am
Very bizarre local story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/m ... 07?cmp=rss

There was an episode of House that worked the same territory. A building collapsed and one woman who survived but in very beat-up shape and in a coma was misidentified for one who actually died.

Context clues