Things I like about Millennials

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Re: Things I like about Millennials

Post by eumaas » 16 Aug 2017, 9:31am

you cannot stop me from killing
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 16 Aug 2017, 10:16am

eumaas wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 9:31am
you cannot stop me from killing
It is all I was programmed to do.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Nov 2017, 12:10pm

So earlier this week, rapper Lil Peep OD'd. I'd never heard of the guy until, coincidentally, the week previous, when students told me about him being this controversial guy in the game. I brought up his death in class yesterday and several told me that the online chatter was, in essence, why should I have any sympathy for a guy who always talked about ODing and then does? I said that that was really harsh—addiction is a medical problem, not a moral one—and mentioned an observation here that was made by, I'm pretty sure, Wolter, that of the big singers from the grunge scene, only Eddie Vedder is left and maybe we shouldn't have been so snide in dismissing these when they spoke about depression and their struggle to be happy. I didn't read a lot of sympathy in the room to that comment. In previous years, students have also zeroed in on Cobain and expressed little sympathy.

Are Millennials more hard hearted about this stuff? Does being wired up all the time on social media desensitize? I'm a pretty emotionally guarded person (does irritation count as an emotion?), but I'm taken aback at the near contempt of so many comments.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 18 Nov 2017, 8:38pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:10pm
So earlier this week, rapper Lil Peep OD'd. I'd never heard of the guy until, coincidentally, the week previous, when students told me about him being this controversial guy in the game. I brought up his death in class yesterday and several told me that the online chatter was, in essence, why should I have any sympathy for a guy who always talked about ODing and then does? I said that that was really harsh—addiction is a medical problem, not a moral one—and mentioned an observation here that was made by, I'm pretty sure, Wolter, that of the big singers from the grunge scene, only Eddie Vedder is left and maybe we shouldn't have been so snide in dismissing these when they spoke about depression and their struggle to be happy. I didn't read a lot of sympathy in the room to that comment. In previous years, students have also zeroed in on Cobain and expressed little sympathy.

Are Millennials more hard hearted about this stuff? Does being wired up all the time on social media desensitize? I'm a pretty emotionally guarded person (does irritation count as an emotion?), but I'm taken aback at the near contempt of so many comments.
This sounds a lot more like my parents' mentality than millennials...my 'rents seem more than happy (almost to a point of schadenfreude) to allow people to die if they're going to be so stupid as to get addicted to heroin or whatever. I finally got my mom to at least think about reconsidering her view on safe injection sites when I brought it home to her by telling her that the risk of her line cook at the bar & grill having hepatitis might not be desirable. But as for having zero sympathy or empathy about folks dying—seems much more boomer to me. At least in my experiences with younger millennials.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Nov 2017, 9:05pm

Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:10pm

This sounds a lot more like my parents' mentality than millennials...my 'rents seem more than happy (almost to a point of schadenfreude) to allow people to die if they're going to be so stupid as to get addicted to heroin or whatever. I finally got my mom to at least think about reconsidering her view on safe injection sites when I brought it home to her by telling her that the risk of her line cook at the bar & grill having hepatitis might not be desirable. But as for having zero sympathy or empathy about folks dying—seems much more boomer to me. At least in my experiences with younger millennials.
Of course I don't want to paint with some kind of totalizing brush—like that hack, Matisse, amiright?—but for a generation that's less religious and more pro-legalization than than older folks, I'm nevertheless struck when I come across that coldness towards addiction in young folk.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!