INDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
101Walterton
The Best

INDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 101Walterton »

Where's the poppy?

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Re: INDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by biopunk »

Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Really?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

On your lapel, as you reflect personally on what Remembrance Day means to you and your loved ones?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Since the Terror Attack That Changed This City Forever™, the poppy crowd have been a lot more belligerent than usual. As is, Ottawa's a military town, and the National Defence HQ is right beside campus, so not wearing the poppy is often met with scowls. I don't doubt I'd be berated (or worse) if I took the extra step of wearing the white peace poppy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I have worn a poppy since I was a kid in the Cubs. I used to attend Remembrance Day in England and now I go to the Anzac Parade (it is a half day holiday in NZI).
I know for a lot of people the poppy has been 'hijacked' and does not have the same meaning as it does to me.
I have no problem with others opinion of the poppy and respect for example James McLeans stance.
My comment to Inder was a little tongue in cheek as we get the snow at Christmas and the Pirahna for EET but no poppy. Don't want to to start a wrong / right to wear a poppy debate it is too personal for that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nah, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to wear a poppy, even tho I think its meaning has been stealth mutilated into jingoism. My resentment is towards those who treat pacifism as necessarily shitting on all soldiers. They make their choices, I make mine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I always attend the local Anzac Parade which is well attended by all the schools and groups in the neighbourhood. The speech at the service is always written and given by the Head Boy or Girl at the local college and usually has local connections. This year's speech was about 6 friends from the loccal rugby club who won the cup final in 1939 and the next day joined up and went off to war in the club blazers. They somehow survived together until 1945 when one of them was killed and buried in Libya just before the end of the war.
The five remaining friends returned home and in honour of their lost friend the rugby club named their player of the year trophy after him and it still is today.
He was again in the news a few years ago when a number of graves in Libya were vandalised and his was one of them.
At the end of the speech they read out the names and families of the men and their address and it turns out I live in his family home.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Wow -good story, 101w. I bet this was an Anzac Parade day you'll remember.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:Wow -good story, 101w. I bet this was an Anzac Parade day you'll remember.
Thanks John.
Anzac Day is on 25th April which was the date of the Anzacs landing at Gallipoli.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Do your anyone else know what the character limit is on here? I know the default is 60,000...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mr. D has 10 nominations at Sunday’s Canadian Screen Awards!
http://www.cbc.ca/television/posts/mr.- ... een-awards

This country produced a lot of good comedic actors at one time. X(

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

To be fair, he did let me limp to the nurse's office after I was obliterated by a low-tier hurdle.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:To be fair, he did let me limp to the nurse's office after I was obliterated by a low-tier hurdle.
You could destroy his career and save Canadian humour by accusing him of Cosby-ing you. Just putting that out there.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Is possible to get emojis on here?