WIFI BOFFIN NEEDED -- printer keeps interrupting connection!

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

WIFI BOFFIN NEEDED -- printer keeps interrupting connection!

Post by Chuck Mangione »

An unsecured network "HP-Print-53-Photosmart 5520" printer somewhere near my house has been interrupting my high-speed Charter internet lately for like the past 6 months. It happens every day, like every half hour to full hour. Weird how it happens repeatedly and chronically.. This gets very frustrating especially when in the middle of serious matters, like online poker which I do play.

My connection gets messed up by it because my laptop sees it and, of course, goes to automatically connect to it. When I go to knock it off the Manage Wireless Connection list it's not even there.

Not really knowledgeable about wifi, I hope some of you are. Is it even possible block my neighbors wifi? And it's not as simple of just unchecking the "Connect automatically" box as yahoo answers suggests. That helplessly does nothing.. reopen the same "Internet access" box again and it is still god damn checked.

I even did command prompt shit like "netsh wlan block" and whatnot yet it keeps getting interrupted.

How can I block this device from my network connections? I have a laptop. I think it's Windows 7.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: WIFI BOFFIN NEEDED -- printer keeps interrupting connection!

Post by Heston »

Your best bet is dd, the top boffin on here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Burn each neighbor's house down until "HP-Print-53-Photosmart 5520" stops bothering you. It's the only way to be sure. :shifty:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:Your best bet is dd, the top boffin on here.
Cool. I'll wait til he gets on then.
Rat Patrol wrote:Burn each neighbor's house down until "HP-Print-53-Photosmart 5520" stops bothering you. It's the only way to be sure. :shifty:
Not something I didn't consider myself doing, in a crazed, distressed fantasy.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Chuck Mangione wrote:An unsecured network "HP-Print-53-Photosmart 5520" printer somewhere near my house has been interrupting my high-speed Charter internet lately for like the past 6 months. It happens every day, like every half hour to full hour. Weird how it happens repeatedly and chronically.. This gets very frustrating especially when in the middle of serious matters, like online poker which I do play.

My connection gets messed up by it because my laptop sees it and, of course, goes to automatically connect to it. When I go to knock it off the Manage Wireless Connection list it's not even there.

Not really knowledgeable about wifi, I hope some of you are. Is it even possible block my neighbors wifi? And it's not as simple of just unchecking the "Connect automatically" box as yahoo answers suggests. That helplessly does nothing.. reopen the same "Internet access" box again and it is still god damn checked.

I even did command prompt shit like "netsh wlan block" and whatnot yet it keeps getting interrupted.

How can I block this device from my network connections? I have a laptop. I think it's Windows 7.
Try to connect to the unsecured network printer. If you are successful, it should then show up in Manage Wireless Connections while you are connected and you should be able to remove it.

Otherwise you can try this software which automates the netsh commands to help you remove it. I have not tried it but it says it works with Windows 8 and 7.:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToDele ... ource.aspx

Do you get prompted for any other networks when you go to areas with lots of wifi available connections ?

Hope this helps

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

dd_ wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:An unsecured network "HP-Print-53-Photosmart 5520" printer somewhere near my house has been interrupting my high-speed Charter internet lately for like the past 6 months. It happens every day, like every half hour to full hour. Weird how it happens repeatedly and chronically.. This gets very frustrating especially when in the middle of serious matters, like online poker which I do play.

Try to connect to the unsecured network printer. If you are successful, it should then show up in Manage Wireless Connections while you are connected and you should be able to remove it.

Otherwise you can try this software which automates the netsh commands to help you remove it. I have not tried it but it says it works with Windows 8 and 7.:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToDele ... ource.aspx

Do you get prompted for any other networks when you go to areas with lots of wifi available connections ?

Hope this helps
It goes to connect on its own when it interrupts and then can't and brings up a troubleshooting box, so I don't even think it's possible to connect to it. But if I did, I would check if it showed on MWC and then I'd try removing it.

And I normally don't bring my laptop anywhere so I'm not sure about other wifi areas per se, but as far as networks go, a neighbor's router (not sure if it's the same neighbor) occasionally shows itself in the internet access box but never prompts for me to connect or it/interrupts me.

I'll give the link a shot, though. I hope it works.

In the meantime, thanks for the help.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

After you connect, be sure to print a few dozen pages of furries pr0n on their printer. It has the added benefit of wasting their entire ink cartridge, which costs more to refill than the damn wi-fi interfering printer cost itself.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Thanks. I'll let you know if anything worked.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Thanks. I'll let you know if anything worked.
Great! Let me know. I don't have a Wifi connection here at home except for my iPod so I cannot really test it (but I do have an HP wireless printer with the same unsecured connection). Your question/problem is very intriguing actually. I would love to hear your experiences with the options I gave you. Please report back. Thanks. DD

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Ok, I downloaded the WLAN Optimizer on the martin-majowski link and disabled background scan and everything but I'm still getting small time jumps, not 1355ms, but 221ms, 65ms, 90ms here and there.. Even downloaded a Vista version and disabled bg scan on there.

Keep in my mind that I can't "test" this by trying to connect to the printer. So I have no idea if it worked. I'm judging solely on the timeskips and, that is, if the timeskips are even related to the problem. But like I said, I have no control over the interruption. It picks me, I don't pick it (in other words, my computer chooses to "attempt to connect" to the unsecured network, I can't opt to connect to it). The best way to see if this method worked is to wait it out. Tonight my connection has been very well behaved, but that doesn't mean it's gone.. some days I think that very notion and then in the middle of something important it'll interrupt out of the blue for short instances. And I don't know why that is, maybe they have the printer turned off those days.

If the problem is still here after a couple of days (as soon as tomorrow probably) then I'll let you know. I'll give that first link a try now.

I hope some of that made sense.

Thanks a bunch for the help so far.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

2nd night in a row, no interruption. Maybe the disable background scan thing did work!

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Silly me! How could I be so optimistic?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Double post.
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 26 Nov 2013, 6:21pm, edited 3 times in total.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Damn! I just did some searching and found a site where I think you should post your problem:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Ne ... Networking

Meanwhile, I will keep looking.