I miss you guys

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: I miss you guys

Post by Mimi »

I'm not knocking anyone's dislike for any food (I hate okra) but I've discovered the average person does not know how to make vegetables to bring out their natural goodness.

Veggies are just kick-ass when prepared well, unless you just don't like it.

I'm doing a lot of experimenting lately. The results are :cool:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:I'm not knocking anyone's dislike for any food (I hate okra) but I've discovered the average person does not know how to make vegetables to bring out their natural goodness.

This is very true. My mother was/is/always will be an awful cook (boils the fuck out of everything), and it took being with B for me to realize that I like a lot of veggies that I'd written off.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:I'm not knocking anyone's dislike for any food (I hate okra) but I've discovered the average person does not know how to make vegetables to bring out their natural goodness.

This is very true. My mother was/is/always will be an awful cook (boils the fuck out of everything), and it took being with B for me to realize that I like a lot of veggies that I'd written off.
Look at all the broccoli hate on these boards too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Same. And I just learned over the past few months how to cook them.

Broccoli: I've found that blanching it (throw it in salted boiling water for a minute or two then shock it in an ice bath) makes it taste awesome. It's my favorite veg and I like it plain just fine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My dislike for broccoli isn't taste-related, but texture. I don't like pears for the same reason. The taste is great—I'm fine with pear flavouring—but the texture of a pear is off-putting. I'd guess that 75% of the foods I don't like are about texture rather than taste.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just like with music, everyone is always convinced everyone would like the same food they like as long as they have it in perfectly controlled conditions.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My dislike for broccoli isn't taste-related, but texture. I don't like pears for the same reason. The taste is great—I'm fine with pear flavouring—but the texture of a pear is off-putting. I'd guess that 75% of the foods I don't like are about texture rather than taste.
Wonder Twin powers -- ACTIVATE!

I'm weird about textures too. Like, don't put nuts and fruit bits in Jello.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:Just like with music, everyone is always convinced everyone would like the same food they like as long as they have it in perfectly controlled conditions.
IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!

!!!!!!!!!! <----I mean business. :shifty:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:Just like with music, everyone is always convinced everyone would like the same food they like as long as they have it in perfectly controlled conditions.
Yeah, expecting people to cook things properly is really expecting too much.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Mimi wrote:
Broccoli: I've found that blanching it (throw it in salted boiling water for a minute or two then shock it in an ice bath) makes it taste awesome. It's my favorite veg and I like it plain just fine.
She's choppin' broccoli...choppin' broccoli...choppin' broccoli...
She choppin' broccolay...she chop...uh...

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Yeah, expecting people to respect that others have given food items a fair shake and like and don't like certain things is really expecting too much. It always HAS to be that they didn't prepare [insert food I like] properly.

I resent the idea that the only reason I don't like the things I don't like is because I haven't been smart enough to follow a recipe correctly. I'm 27, I've cooked a lot of dishes in a lot of different ways (and, conversely, had foods prepared for me lots of different ways). I'm always willing to revisit a food item, but when I say I don't like [insert food here], it's not because I've just spent my life eating that food boiled to death.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Wonder Twin powers -- ACTIVATE!

I'm weird about textures too. Like, don't put nuts and fruit bits in Jello.

And I'll ditto what Flex said. I'd never make the claim to being a food sophisticate—there are very few foods that I really love; it's mostly a utilitarian thing for me—but my evaluations and preferences aren't automatically a matter of ignorance or opportunity.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, expecting people to respect that others have given food items a fair shake and like and don't like certain things is really expecting too much. It always HAS to be that they didn't prepare [insert food I like] properly.

I resent the idea that the only reason I don't like the things I don't like is because I haven't been smart enough to follow a recipe correctly. I'm 27, I've cooked a lot of dishes in a lot of different ways (and, conversely, had foods prepared for me lots of different ways). I'm always willing to revisit a food item, but when I say I don't like [insert food here], it's not because I've just spent my life eating that food boiled to death.
You really just need to blindly listen to your elders.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:You really just need to blindly listen to your elders.
The last time I did that I ended up with the complete discographies of KISS and Bruce Springsteen. :yuck:

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:You really just need to blindly listen to your elders.
The last time I did that I ended up with the complete discographies of KISS and Bruce Springsteen. :yuck:
:cool:

Also, respect your west coast friends when it comes to all things culinary.