I miss you guys

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: I miss you guys

Post by Wolter »

True Story: I'm making Brussels sprouts today. Because I make them well.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:True Story: I'm making Brussels sprouts today. Because I make them well.
Do you use a garbage disposal for that or just throw them right into a garbage can?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:True Story: I'm making Brussels sprouts today. Because I make them well.
Do you use a garbage disposal for that or just throw them right into a garbage can?
Have you had them since childhood? Because I hated them as a kid, then realized as an adult they were just slightly bitter.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Have you had them since childhood? Because I hated them as a kid, then realized as an adult they were just slightly bitter.
Had them (accidentally) about five years ago. I was lucky that the assault charges against me were dropped.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

A taste for brussel sprouts are one of those things that are probably tied up heavily in genetic predisposition: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/ ... prout-gene
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:A taste for brussel sprouts are one of those things that are probably tied up heavily in genetic predisposition: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/ ... prout-gene
Then I accede, given my genetic hatred of cilantro.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:A taste for brussel sprouts are one of those things that are probably tied up heavily in genetic predisposition: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/ ... prout-gene
I don't disagree with that necessarily, but I do wonder of Flex and Doc have actually had well prepared sprouts. Because the old school way of boiling them or microwaving them is just nasty. I have a killer recipe for sliced sprouts, sauteed with glazed pecans. Lots of butter and pepper too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
I don't disagree with that necessarily, but I do wonder of Flex and Doc have actually had well prepared sprouts. Because the old school way of boiling them or microwaving them is just nasty. I have a killer recipe for sliced sprouts, sauteed with glazed pecans. Lots of butter and pepper too.
I have had brussel sprouts in many different dishes, prepared many different ways (I probably have dishes with brussel sprouts a couple times a year). I'm sure I've had some badly cooked sprouts in my life, but I've had them at high enough quality restaurants and otherwise prepared by people I trust enough in the kitchen that I can't lay my dislike at the feet of preparation.

I'll admit, I've had a dish or two where there's so much other stuff in the mix (i.e. tons of butter or sausage or whatever) that it masks the sprout taste enough for me to enjoy the dish. My sister (a pro chef) is pretty good at finding recipes that so obliterate the sprout taste that I can enjoy it. Pretty sure those recipes don't end up in the net gain column for health benefits, though.

I'd rather just have some uncooked broccoli in my salad, to be honest.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Couldn't I just have glazed pecans, maybe with butter and pepper, and ignore the shitty sprouts?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote: I have a killer recipe for sliced sprouts, sauteed with glazed pecans. Lots of butter and pepper too.
I have a pretty good one for pan cooked and quartered sprouts that has caramelized onions, garlic, turmeric, and thyme.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote: I have a killer recipe for sliced sprouts, sauteed with glazed pecans. Lots of butter and pepper too.
I have a pretty good one for pan cooked and quartered sprouts that has caramelized onions, garlic, turmeric, and thyme.
That sounds amazing. Pan cooking and getting them slightly darkened is awesome, but I have yet to perfect that method.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:I'd rather just have some uncooked broccoli in my salad, to be honest.
That'll do me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Brussel sprouts on the stalk have to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Whenever I see them @ Trader Joe's, I think, "Yuck."

The sprouts don't look bad on that pizza, though. I'd probably try that.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Peel the outer few layers and put a deep cross cut into the stalk. Steam them so they soften but not mushy and eat with roast dinner and gravy :approve:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:Peel the outer few layers and put a deep cross cut into the stalk. Steam them so they soften but not mushy and eat with roast dinner and gravy :approve:
Aye, that's the way I have them.

I couldn't stand them as a kid, to the point that I would leave my dinner if a stray sprout had accidentally touched my plate. Don't mind them at all now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board