The IMCT observations thread

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Re: The IMCT observations thread

Post by Wolter » 24 Jul 2010, 6:16pm

Olaf wrote:For some reason, I still associate eummie with the Debord avatar.
I associate him with Korngold.

And you with Rio Reiser.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 24 Jul 2010, 7:39pm

Silent Majority wrote:When I was going through a day of repeat listening to Fragments of a Rainy Season, I was going to make my avatar John Cale. But there's no way that wouldn't be taken as stealing some of eumaas' riffs.
Glad you dig it.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jul 2010, 8:22am

An IMCT Observation: Justin Halpern's dad (of Shit My Dad Says fame) is an older version of Tep. I'm reading Halpern's book, and it's like the Quotable Tepista thread.

Some examples:
On Spending the Night at a Friend’s House for the First Time

: “Try not to piss yourself.”
On Being Teased

: “So he called you a homo. Big deal. There’s nothing wrong with being a homosexual…. No, I’m not saying you’re a homosexual. Jesus Christ. Now I’m starting to see why this kid was giving you shit.”
On Sportsmanship

: “You pitched a great game, you really did. I’m proud of you. Unfortunately, your team is shitty…. No, you can’t go getting mad at people because they’re shitty. Life will get mad at them, don’t worry.”
On Making a Christmas List: “You ranked the twenty-five presents you want, in order of how much you want them? Are you insane? I said tell me what you want for Christmas, not make a fucking college football poll.”
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf » 29 Jul 2010, 5:24pm

[youtube]
[/youtube]

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista » 29 Jul 2010, 6:00pm

Dr. Medulla wrote: On Making a Christmas List: “You ranked the twenty-five presents you want, in order of how much you want them? Are you insane? I said tell me what you want for Christmas, not make a fucking college football poll.”
good one
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff » 30 Jul 2010, 9:18am

It really doesn't matter what the thread titles are, all IMCT threads eventually become indistinguishable from one another.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jul 2010, 9:36am

Spiff wrote:It really doesn't matter what the thread titles are, all IMCT threads eventually become indistinguishable from one another.
I think we're unconsciously demonstrating an intrinsic truth about the physical universe.

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 30 Jul 2010, 9:42am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:It really doesn't matter what the thread titles are, all IMCT threads eventually become indistinguishable from one another.
I think we're unconsciously demonstrating an intrinsic truth about the physical universe.
But with more Batman references.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jul 2010, 9:51am

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And periodic frenzied tribal worship of "Play To Win."

Wolter

Post by Wolter » 30 Jul 2010, 9:52am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And periodic frenzied tribal worship of "Play To Win."
Batman ALWAYS plays to win, sir.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf » 30 Jul 2010, 9:55am

Q.E.D.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 30 Jul 2010, 12:51pm

Olaf wrote:[youtube]
[/youtube]
That belongs in the not so guilty pleasures thread.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 30 Jul 2010, 1:12pm

Not always. Sports threads and artist-specific threads maintain their identity. I agree with this as a general rule with notable exceptions, and that these exceptions follow patterns in a predictable fashion.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 30 Jul 2010, 1:16pm

eumaas wrote:
Not always. Sports threads and artist-specific threads maintain their identity. I agree with this as a general rule with notable exceptions, and that these exceptions follow patterns in a predictable fashion.
Thread drift.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff » 30 Jul 2010, 2:50pm

eumaas wrote:
Oh, look at you! With your fancy-pants logic 'n' stuff.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?