I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Marky Dread » 29 Nov 2017, 2:07pm

Kory wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:49pm
threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:39pm
threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 2:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 12:08pm
Back in February, my external hd that held all my ripped music, movies, and tv shows went splat. Disheartening, but I still had disc copies of almost everything else, so I got a new drive and started the long process of ripping everything again. I finally finished a couple days ago. Now I'm going thru a process of backing up everything onto 50GB blu-ray discs, so that when this drive eventually fails, it'll be easier to restore. I figure it'll be about 70 of those discs and a good three weeks of burning those. Fun and tears with technology, kids.
Fuck. You'd think archiving would be easier in this day and age. Few people realize how all their optical media is basically on a slow self destruct.
The other thing to do is regularly test the hd's health and be ready to copy to a new one as it nears failure. But I don't trust myself to be that responsible.
I never have the cash for backup HDs or I would clone my media drive. One day... :disshame:
This is the way to do it. I have all my music on two 2TB hard drives (one at home, one in the trunk of my car) and an account with Backblaze, which uploads everything to a remote server. If you don't have your data in at least 3 different places, you're tempting fate.
I have mine under the bed, in the loft and in the cupboard. Well you can't be too certain these days.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi » 09 Feb 2018, 6:51pm

So how do you lot find your avatar pics? 125x125 is pretty small. Do you re-size/crop them or is there an easier way to find them without looking at hundreds of Google images to find one small enough? No idea how I did it in the past, think I just lucked out and found ones small enough...

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione » 09 Feb 2018, 11:16pm

I usually resize mine.