I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 10:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:46am
Flex wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 8:55am
"You people all have PhDs. How are you so incompetent with this?"
The first sentence in the message answers the second pretty nicely imho :shifty:
Sadly, yes. I've often said that most people with doctorates couldn't get a job pushing a broom because their competence in that sub-sub-sub-field has come at the expense of everything else.

(I once worked as a janitor, so I'm clearly an alpha.)
Hello,

I have more than one colleague who would screw stuff like this up and then, when pointed out, would act like "Oh, it's just email...these rules are so pedestrian! ".
Ah, like the rules about not tripping someone as they walk by or not signing them up to a libertarian PAC mailing list.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The first sentence in the message answers the second pretty nicely imho :shifty:
Sadly, yes. I've often said that most people with doctorates couldn't get a job pushing a broom because their competence in that sub-sub-sub-field has come at the expense of everything else.

I really believe this hyper specialization often come at the expense of common sense.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I really believe this hyper specialization often come at the expense of common sense.
Entirely. Succeeding in a bubble usually means not being able to work in the wider world. And academics are dorks who don't really fit in anyway, so it just accelerates that inclination. A prof once told me that rising within academia mostly requires real world competence. That's the rare skillset. When I was a student, on the outside, I thought he was joking—and to a degree he was—but there's a lot of truth there.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 11:23am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Entirely. Succeeding in a bubble usually means not being able to work in the wider world. And academics are dorks who don't really fit in anyway, so it just accelerates that inclination. A prof once told me that rising within academia mostly requires real world competence. That's the rare skillset. When I was a student, on the outside, I thought he was joking—and to a degree he was—but there's a lot of truth there.
I see it in IT at certain levels, its not as homogenous of a field as most people think. I think as people are further removed from the physical they lose a certain sense of things and the cause/effect relationship of the physical.

I used to do more electro mechanical type work and I found those people to have more common sense, I think because the work has a strong foundation in the physical realm.

But I also see how politics and paranoia have turned some of that on its head.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 12:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

I see it in IT at certain levels, its not as homogenous of a field as most people think. I think as people are further removed from the physical they lose a certain sense of things and the cause/effect relationship of the physical.

I used to do more electro mechanical type work and I found those people to have more common sense, I think because the work has a strong foundation in the physical realm.

There's the stereotype of engineers as incapable of understanding emotion, that they want the world to be run by objective laws and predictable cause and effect. I often think of my nephew, who is an engineer but he's also a musician and a highly empathetic individual. He's more emotion-driven than most people I know.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 12:07pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There's the stereotype of engineers as incapable of understanding emotion, that they want the world to be run by objective laws and predictable cause and effect. I often think of my nephew, who is an engineer but he's also a musician and a highly empathetic individual. He's more emotion-driven than most people I know.
Ive known/know those that fit that sort of Vulcanesque(?) approach to things but in my experience most know when to apply that and when not to.

Im pretty emotional myself (anger is still an emotion right?). I do think of myself as fairly well rounded though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Ive known/know those that fit that sort of Vulcanesque(?) approach to things but in my experience most know when to apply that and when not to.

Im pretty emotional myself (anger is still an emotion right?). I do think of myself as fairly well rounded though.
The capacity to turn things on and off based on the situation. I want a rigorous engineer working on shit; I don’t want to have a casual conversation with one. In my classroom, I want people to treat popular culture critically; outside, just shooting, like we do here, it can be dumb fun. How many people would stick around if we had to discuss music like the survival of the species was riding on it?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 1:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The capacity to turn things on and off based on the situation. I want a rigorous engineer working on shit; I don’t want to have a casual conversation with one. In my classroom, I want people to treat popular culture critically; outside, just shooting, like we do here, it can be dumb fun. How many people would stick around if we had to discuss music like the survival of the species was riding on it?
A society of Rothko's.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 8:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

A society of Rothko's.
Or a society of Pitchfork writers.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 8:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A society of Rothko's.
I'm dubious that those people care about music.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 8:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

A society of Rothko's.
I'm dubious that those people care about music.
I agree. When I've read Pitchfork reviews, I've never gotten the impression that they actually like music. It's about playing cultural critic, which is to confirm their status as Enlightened Knower of Stuff.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think the culture at pitchfork changed some years back and they pulled themselves out of their asses a bit. Either way, sad what's happened to it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 3:42pm
I think the culture at pitchfork changed some years back and they pulled themselves out of their asses a bit. Either way, sad what's happened to it.
They got to you, didn't they! Answer me, you Quisling!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 3:52pm
Flex wrote:
I give this accusation a 2.7. extremely pedestrian example of post-core noiseshite
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 4:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 3:52pm
Flex wrote:
I give this accusation a 2.7. extremely pedestrian example of post-core noiseshite
You should namedrop a cultural theorist to back up your douchery.