I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston »

By the way Flex, which version are you using?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:Cheers Flex, I've been looking at those, is it handy for watching YouTube stuff etc?
Yeah, I can easily watch youtube videos, stream pandora and last.fm radio, etc.

I'm running the latest version of the Droid OS (2.1 I think). It's pretty sweet.

EDIT: Spelling.
Last edited by Flex on 11 Jul 2010, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:Cheers Flex, I've been looking at those, is it handy for watching YouTube stuff etc?
Yeah, I can easily watch youtube videos, stream pandora and last.fm radio, etc.

I'm running the latest version of the Drois os (2.1 I think). It's pretty sweet.
OK cheers. I'd rather take the recommendation of someone I trust over these greasy phone dealers.

Thanks again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Question: Anybody use a laptop cooling pad? The one thing I hate about the MacBook Air is that it gets quite hot, so I'm thinking about a cooling pad to help it out. Recommendations, advice, thoughts?
If you don't need a coolung pad for your lap, and don't want spend around a hundred bucks or whatever for a top-of-the-line item, this is a model which works well:
Thanks, F. I've looked at that one, but I'm increasingly antsy about the fan-driven models because they all seem to suck air away from the laptop, all of which reduces the air available to the computer to absorb the heat in the first place. The search will continue …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ended up getting a Belkin cooling pad off eBay. I'll report back the results after it arrives.

Also, I bought a second monitor today for my iMac. Yesterday we visited with a historian who is part of B's research grant group. Her husband is a web designer / computer consultant with a terrifying Mac set-up—seven monitors (it makes it simpler when he needs to test pages on multiple platforms and browsers). Anyway, he convinced me that a second monitor, flipped on its side so it's tall rather than wide, would be especially beneficial when I'm doing layout work or working with scanned research and writing (as I'll be doing this week). So, I bought an 18" monitor for $100 and, damn, I'm kinda kicking myself that I'd never thought of the benefits of doing something like that before. The new monitor becomes dedicated exclusively to reading material (it's also pretty sweet for reading comics off of). Geekalicious …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Ended up getting a Belkin cooling pad off eBay. I'll report back the results after it arrives.

Also, I bought a second monitor today for my iMac. Yesterday we visited with a historian who is part of B's research grant group. Her husband is a web designer / computer consultant with a terrifying Mac set-up—seven monitors (it makes it simpler when he needs to test pages on multiple platforms and browsers). Anyway, he convinced me that a second monitor, flipped on its side so it's tall rather than wide, would be especially beneficial when I'm doing layout work or working with scanned research and writing (as I'll be doing this week). So, I bought an 18" monitor for $100 and, damn, I'm kinda kicking myself that I'd never thought of the benefits of doing something like that before. The new monitor becomes dedicated exclusively to reading material (it's also pretty sweet for reading comics off of). Geekalicious …
Yeah, I have a multi-monitor setup and I basically can't imagine functioning without it anymore. Welcome to a brave new world, Doc.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Yeah, I have a multi-monitor setup and I basically can't imagine functioning without it anymore. Welcome to a brave new world, Doc.
After an hour and a half, I'm already wondering how I did without in the past. This guy's set-up was ridiculous. Apart from the whole house being wired (albeit wirelessly) and run from any one of the Macs in the house, the guy had 16TB of storage. Yeah, it's his job and all and there's no way I could justify having a set up like that, but I had serious geek envy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm declaring this the catch-all computer thread. And in that vein, The Onion nails the Cult of Jobs perfectly: http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple- ... oyal,2772/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm declaring this the catch-all computer thread. And in that vein, The Onion nails the Cult of Jobs perfectly: http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple- ... oyal,2772/
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

My phone never did dry out, I tried rice, Super Noodles, I even wrapped it in pastrami.

Anyway, I've ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy X, has anyone had any experience of these? It's due to land on my doormat tomorrow.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

A Warning:-

Don't play Lee "Scratch" Perry's "Super Ape" at full blast through Apple earbuds unless you enjoy a farting Bass sound after the right one blows up... :(

Don't know about Samsung phones but they do sponser a fuckin' great football team... :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm declaring this the catch-all computer thread.
I thought this was the catch-all board prostitution ring thread?

Nevermind, then. :shifty:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:

Can't it be both?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

Can't it be both?
I want to go on record as preferring a dedicated board prostitution ring. Also a thread about it.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

Can't it be both?
I want to go on record as preferring a dedicated board prostitution ring. Also a thread about it.
I thought that's what they did in the Association Football (round) thread.