I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Flex »

So, anyways, after you remove the infected files there's still a warning that your computer is infected?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: :lol:

At least they got a good boffin'.
That smiley was me next morning.
Which orifice?
All seven.
I'll send Kiss™ flowers to your funeral.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:So, anyways, after you remove the infected files there's still a warning that your computer is infected?
File-------Infection---------Result
c:users...VBS/Generic.....Infected

Then I moved the infections to virus vault. Is this action enough? Doing a scan at the moment too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:So, anyways, after you remove the infected files there's still a warning that your computer is infected?

Then I moved the infections to virus vault. Is this action enough? Doing a scan at the moment too.
Yeah, that should do it. If a scan turns up any more infected files, just do the same thing (move to vault).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, that should do it. If a scan turns up any more infected files, just do the same thing (move to vault).
You've been a good boffin, Flex. Cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:Hey Flex, what is that spyware checking software that was free that was good? I had it on my old computer and now my work computer is buggy and AVG and S&D are coming up empty.
Ad-Aware and Spybot are both good. SpywareBlaster is good for prevention, but doesn't do scans.
Malwarebytes is part of the toolkit, too

AVG, S&D, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Malwarebytes

that's the cadence of choice
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On the recommendation of my nephew, I bought an AppleTV. Damn neat, damn cool. The only downside is having to convert avi's to m4v's, but it lets me watch downloaded tv shows on our tv without first burning to dvd. (Better quality, too.) I can also play music thru the home theatre system a lot more easily than before, too.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anybody here super competent with Photoshop? A historian friend of mine has a couple documents—rather, pictures of documents—where the text is blurry, and asked whether I could clean it up, CSI-style. I've played around with the Sharpen feature but can only make the text darker, not less blurry. If anyone here can give it a whirl, PM me, s'il vous plait.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Anybody here super competent with Photoshop? A historian friend of mine has a couple documents—rather, pictures of documents—where the text is blurry, and asked whether I could clean it up, CSI-style. I've played around with the Sharpen feature but can only make the text darker, not less blurry. If anyone here can give it a whirl, PM me, s'il vous plait.
I am not an expert, but did you use the Sharpen or Unsharpen feature? I have used the Unsharpen in the past for images but not text:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... p-mask.htm

Hope this helps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

dd_ wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Anybody here super competent with Photoshop? A historian friend of mine has a couple documents—rather, pictures of documents—where the text is blurry, and asked whether I could clean it up, CSI-style. I've played around with the Sharpen feature but can only make the text darker, not less blurry. If anyone here can give it a whirl, PM me, s'il vous plait.
I am not an expert, but did you use the Sharpen or Unsharpen feature? I have used the Unsharpen in the past for images but not text:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... p-mask.htm

Hope this helps
One of the tutorials I found online cited using the unsharp mask technique, but I couldn't improve the readability. Either I'm a dolt or the text is too blurry to fix. I'm pretty sure it's the former because the text doesn't seem that far away from being passable.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Can anyone recommend a good free Flac to mp3 converter, mine seems to have stopped working.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Can anyone recommend a good free Flac to mp3 converter, mine seems to have stopped working.
This works for me ol' pal.

http://avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Converter. ... 4860757919

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:Can anyone recommend a good free Flac to mp3 converter, mine seems to have stopped working.

Cheers me old mucker. :approve:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:

Just tried this Marky, but it leaves a voice logo on the converted file. Unless you pay them $39.......

Is this happening for you?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just tried this Marky, but it leaves a voice logo on the converted file. Unless you pay them $39.......

Is this happening for you?
No. ahh wait a minute I did but some software from them a while back so maybe it's part of the package. I was sure I got this as freeware though, sorry mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia