I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Silent Majority »

Hello, my name's James and I'm a big fan of the Clash.

My laptop plays noise through the speakers and my headphones. If my headphones are in, there's nothing I want less than noise through the speakers.

So far I have:

Updated drivers.
Manged the audio device, making Headphones the primary output.
Ditto, for the Speakers and Headphones option.
Fucked about with the sound card.

Any other options?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Silent Majority wrote:Hello, my name's James and I'm a big fan of the Clash.

My laptop plays noise through the speakers and my headphones. If my headphones are in, there's nothing I want less than noise through the speakers.

So far I have:

Updated drivers.

Any other options?
I suggest becoming bitterly disillusioned with The Clash and blaming Mick Jones for not giving you a better computer.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Rat Patrol wrote:

So far I have:

Updated drivers.

Any other options?
I suggest becoming bitterly disillusioned with The Clash and blaming Mick Jones for not giving you a better computer.
What he said.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:

So far I have:

Updated drivers.

Any other options?
What he said.
I've used that argument to successfully beat a murder charge and avoid child support payments for four kids. The judge practically wanted to make the little bastards pay me when I spoke about Ellen Foley.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:Hello, my name's James and I'm the leader of the Clash.

So far I have:

Updated Bernie.
Manged the audio device by sacking our drummer.
Replaced the best musician in the band with two new players .
Fucked about with the sound of our latest album.

Any other options?
Split up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Silent Majority wrote:
Manged the audio device?
Hello, James.

I like the Clash two!

James, you should never, ever, give electronic audio components mange!

We'll need to determine the type first. There are two.

Demodectic mange - these are mites that usually live on the hair follicles of dogs.
The dog will appear to have inflamed red patches of skin.
This form isn't generally contagious and not really of great concern to humans, as cases are quite rare.

Sarcoptic mange - these burrowing mites are also called canine scabies.
They will cause intense itching, resulting in hair loss and infection.
You definitely do not want these in your home, around your pets or in your audio equipment!

But seriously:

Are the headphone jacks and plugs clean?
Are you using noise cancelling headphones?
Are the input/output levels set to "high" in your sound preferences?
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Can anyone help? In the past week the scrollbar on the side of my computer has changed. I used to be able to click on an arrow thing at the bottom of the bar and scroll down slowly, but now there's just open space at the bottom of the bar and it jerks quickly down the page when I click on it. Hope I've explained this right. Cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

Heston wrote:Can anyone help? In the past week the scrollbar on the side of my computer has changed. I used to be able to click on an arrow thing at the bottom of the bar and scroll down slowly, but now there's just open space at the bottom of the bar and it jerks quickly down the page when I click on it. Hope I've explained this right. Cheers.
Is this only while in Internet Explorer window (or another Internet browser)? If so, click on the Maximize button (square box, middle button) in the top right corner of the window.

Heston

Post by Heston »

dd_ wrote:
Heston wrote:Can anyone help? In the past week the scrollbar on the side of my computer has changed. I used to be able to click on an arrow thing at the bottom of the bar and scroll down slowly, but now there's just open space at the bottom of the bar and it jerks quickly down the page when I click on it. Hope I've explained this right. Cheers.
Is this only while in Internet Explorer window (or another Internet browser)? If so, click on the Maximize button (square box, middle button) in the top right corner of the window.
No joy. It's as if the bottom task bar is covering where I used to scroll down. Google Chrome by the way.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Google Chrome's most recent update removed those buttons. I just use the scroll wheel of my mouse, so I didn't even notice they were gone until pretty recently.

You can add an extension to bring them back. More details here: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/18/restor ... le-chrome/
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Google Chrome's most recent update removed those buttons. I just use the scroll wheel of my mouse, so I didn't even notice they were gone until pretty recently.

You can add an extension to bring them back. More details here: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/18/restor ... le-chrome/
Worked straight away. I want to have your robot babies.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:

Worked straight away. I want to have your robot babies.
It was Flex's evil Chrome Robot buddy that caused your pain in the first place.

Good work Flex.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Just downloaded a disc burning program called CDBurner XP, and first it gave me a tool bar I didn't wasn't, made that go away, but now random words on various pages are highlighted with links to fuck knows what.
Anybody know what's up with this and how to make it go away?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

muppet hi fi wrote:Just downloaded a disc burning program called CDBurner XP, and first it gave me a tool bar I didn't wasn't, made that go away, but now random words on various pages are highlighted with links to fuck knows what.
The problem isn't CDBurnerXP per se, but that you (probably) downloaded the program from a site like download.com or similar. Go to add/remove programs and sort the installed programs by date installed. You should find the offending software as having been installed the same time as CDBurnerXP. It may be called "Text Enhance" or similar. Let me know if you can't figure out what the program is that needs to be uninstalled.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Just downloaded a disc burning program called CDBurner XP, and first it gave me a tool bar I didn't wasn't, made that go away, but now random words on various pages are highlighted with links to fuck knows what.
The problem isn't CDBurnerXP per se, but that you (probably) downloaded the program from a site like download.com or similar. Go to add/remove programs and sort the installed programs by date installed. You should find the offending software as having been installed the same time as CDBurnerXP. It may be called "Text Enhance" or similar. Let me know if you can't figure out what the program is that needs to be uninstalled.
I've had the same problem before and Flex's instructions are the way ahead.