I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Minor curiosity: I saw an email notification flash on my screen, something from Canada Post about an address problem. I am expecting a delivery, so presumably it's legit. But when I go to my email, there's nothing there. Not in the inbox, trash, or spam folder. Thoughts on what happened?

edit: Fucking hell, I'm old and addled. It was a phishing text. Anyway, I'm off to Nigeria.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 12:47pm
Minor curiosity: I saw an email notification flash on my screen, something from Canada Post about an address problem. I am expecting a delivery, so presumably it's legit. But when I go to my email, there's nothing there. Not in the inbox, trash, or spam folder. Thoughts on what happened?

edit: Fucking hell, I'm old and addled. It was a phishing text. Anyway, I'm off to Nigeria.
For a small fee you can semd your money to me and I'll make sure your Nigerian prince gets what he deserves.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 1:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 12:47pm

For a small fee you can semd your money to me and I'll make sure your Nigerian prince gets what he deserves.
Only a small fee? I'd be foolish not to!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for, probably, revbob, but maybe others: Is there a sensible reason why some days my home wifi is stupid slow on the 2.4GHz channel but good on 5GHz, then other days it's reversed? Just no rhyme nor reason as to whether one channel will be hobbled.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 12:51pm
Question for, probably, revbob, but maybe others: Is there a sensible reason why some days my home wifi is stupid slow on the 2.4GHz channel but good on 5GHz, then other days it's reversed? Just no rhyme nor reason as to whether one channel will be hobbled.
This sounds like a question for RFK Jr.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 1:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The problem is that it was like this before and after the vaccinations.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 1:22pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds like something a person whose been brainwiped by vaccines and 5g would say!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 1:22pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds like something a person whose been brainwiped by vaccines and 5g would say!
That's nonsense. As Bill Gates, George Soros, and Kamala Harris said on NPR, black lives matter.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
As I understand wifi, 2.4GHz signal travels farther at a slower speed, 5 GHz signal is faster, but doesn't travel as far. That being said, are your wifi devices auto switching between whichever signal is stronger? I see that sometimes on my phone when I'm at home, depending if I'm in the house or out back on our patio where it almost always switches to 2.4GHz.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As I understand wifi, 2.4GHz signal travels farther at a slower speed, 5 GHz signal is faster, but doesn't travel as far. That being said, are your wifi devices auto switching between whichever signal is stronger? I see that sometimes on my phone when I'm at home, depending if I'm in the house or out back on our patio where it almost always switches to 2.4GHz.
Nope, no automatic switching. When powering up in the morning, it goes to whatever it was on the previous day. If things are grinding, I'll change to the other channel and that usually fixes it. But whether it's 2.4 or 5 that's faster is seemingly random from day to day.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Questions...

What is your wifi router setup?
Do you have a single wifi router or a mesh systerm?

How many devices are cnmected to your wifi and what are they?

Are you physically in the same location each time and using the same device?

Are you using different applications?

Are other people using it and if so what are they doing ?

More Questions

How far away are your different devices from your wifi router or mesh access point? If you have a mesh system do you know which access point are yu connected to?

Do you have one or more wireless networks running?

Are your 2.4 and 5G networks named the same?

Sorry for all these questions but it all matters.

The basic thing about home wifi is that it is a shared medium and only one device is communicating at a time with each radio (2.4 and 5). 2.4 radios have greater range, go thru obstacles better (walls etc) but slower speeds and the inverse of all tbat is true for 5GHz, and 6GHzeven more so. So while it may seem great that 2.4 can go greater distance, the greater the distance the slower the speed.

So think of those radios as say a line at the store. Now imagine the person at the front talks really slow or has to repeat themselves a lot because they are too quiet or voice isnt clear. Well you're waiting for that guy to finish. So if you have one device running slow, your connection will also be slower.

There's also noise. Maybe the guy at the front is fine but the asshole behind him cant see the person in front of him and tries talking to the cashier so both people are talking at once. Everything again slows down because nobody can understand. So you can have a device that is having problems and keeps trying to talk or doesnt recognize that another device is talking so thinks its its turn to talk.

Now imagine in the adjacent line you have someone talking loud so that you and your cashier are having trouble communicating. This is like when a neighbor is running their wireless network on the same channel as you or maybe binding channels together such that it uses part of the channel you're on. Again this will affect your connection.

If a device can do 5GHz you're almost always better keeping it on 5 Ghz unless you're out of range for some reason.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:41pm
Questions...

Single
Max: a desktop, a couple laptops, a couple phones, Apple TV.

More or less, yeah.
Nope.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. General web browsing, tho. The slowdown is notable mostly with the Apple TV or downloading.
How far away are your different devices from your wifi router or mesh access point? If you have a mesh system do you know which access point are yu connected to?
Anywhere from six to thirty feet.
Just the one.
Sort of. They have the same basic name but one has 2.4 included, the other 5, so I can quickly tell them apart.

The basic thing about home wifi is that it is a shared medium and only one device is communicating at a time with each radio (2.4 and 5). 2.4 radios have greater range, go thru obstacles better (walls etc) but slower speeds and the inverse of all tbat is true for 5GHz, and 6GHzeven more so. So while it may seem great that 2.4 can go greater distance, the greater the distance the slower the speed.

So think of those radios as say a line at the store. Now imagine the person at the front talks really slow or has to repeat themselves a lot because they are too quiet or voice isnt clear. Well you're waiting for that guy to finish. So if you have one device running slow, your connection will also be slower.

There's also noise. Maybe the guy at the front is fine but the asshole behind him cant see the person in front of him and tries talking to the cashier so both people are talking at once. Everything again slows down because nobody can understand. So you can have a device that is having problems and keeps trying to talk or doesnt recognize that another device is talking so thinks its its turn to talk.

Now imagine in the adjacent line you have someone talking loud so that you and your cashier are having trouble communicating. This is like when a neighbor is running their wireless network on the same channel as you or maybe binding channels together such that it uses part of the channel you're on. Again this will affect your connection.

If a device can do 5GHz you're almost always better keeping it on 5 Ghz unless you're out of range for some reason.
Yup, I get all that. What I'm curious about, tho, is that, say, Monday 2.4 is running nice and smooth so I keep it that way on Tuesday. Then Wednesday 2.4 is crawling, so I switch to 5 and all is great again. Thursday, 5 sucks and 2.4 is good and it stays that way for half a day, but 5 is good. All the conditions are stable from day to day—same devices, same location, same usage—but the channels are responding(?) differently.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 3:03pm
revbob wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 2:41pm
Questions...

Single
Max: a desktop, a couple laptops, a couple phones, Apple TV.

More or less, yeah.
Nope.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. General web browsing, tho. The slowdown is notable mostly with the Apple TV or downloading.
Anywhere from six to thirty feet.
Just the one.
Sort of. They have the same basic name but one has 2.4 included, the other 5, so I can quickly tell them apart.

Yup, I get all that. What I'm curious about, tho, is that, say, Monday 2.4 is running nice and smooth so I keep it that way on Tuesday. Then Wednesday 2.4 is crawling, so I switch to 5 and all is great again. Thursday, 5 sucks and 2.4 is good and it stays that way for half a day, but 5 is good. All the conditions are stable from day to day—same devices, same location, same usage—but the channels are responding(?) differently.
Are you on fixed channels or does your system look for clean airspace? Ive had the problem where my idiot neighbor fucks up the 2.4 spectrum because they will use non-standard channels and or bond channels. 2.4 spectrum is generally too noisy to bond channels. 5Ghz has more channels and is far less susceptible to that kind of thing.

Is this something that came on suddenly ? Can you thi k of any changes that coincide?

In the end both the 2.4 and he 5GHz share one connection to the internet.

You need to get some data and maybe tey and tie certain devices to one radio or the other. Maybe even disconnect some devices when you experience this issue until just say you and your wife's computer are connected. See if you can find a problem device.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 9:11pm
Are you on fixed channels or does your system look for clean airspace? Ive had the problem where my idiot neighbor fucks up the 2.4 spectrum because they will use non-standard channels and or bond channels. 2.4 spectrum is generally too noisy to bond channels. 5Ghz has more channels and is far less susceptible to that kind of thing.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Devices use whatever channel they were set at when I powered down.
Is this something that came on suddenly ? Can you thi k of any changes that coincide?
It's been this way for at least a few years. I've mentioned it in passing to our ISP when calling about something and they always say reset the modem. Which, sure, or I can just change the channel. I'm curious as to what causes it if conditions seem to be stable from one day to the next.
You need to get some data and maybe tey and tie certain devices to one radio or the other. Maybe even disconnect some devices when you experience this issue until just say you and your wife's computer are connected. See if you can find a problem device.
So you're suggesting it's one of the devices and not the modem?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 6:27am
revbob wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 9:11pm
I'm not sure what you mean here. Devices use whatever channel they were set at when I powered down.

You're referring to frequency band (2.4 & 5), and within each band there are multiple channels. Pretty decent video to explain

It's been this way for at least a few years. I've mentioned it in passing to our ISP when calling about something and they always say reset the modem. Which, sure, or I can just change the channel. I'm curious as to what causes it if conditions seem to be stable from one day to the next.
So you're suggesting it's one of the devices and not the modem?
When your reset your modem is it better for a bit or the same?

Also is all your network equipment provided by your ISP? Is it one box that "does it all"? Or did thry provide a cable modem and then you connected your own wifi router? Can you login to the device your ISP gave you, did you configure it or is it pre-configured by them? There's various settings on wifi routers that can control the channls you are using and the better ones will have an auto setting to avoid noisy channels .

Im not necessarily suggesting one of your devices is the problem but just offering a suggestion to eliminate variables.

Also getting a free program like inssider will allow you to see your network, what channels you're using as well as your neighbor's.