computer - sound on? sound off?

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!

what percentage range, on a regualar basis?

<10%
33%
10-25%
7%
25-50%
20%
50-75%
7%
75%-100%
7%
100% (always on)
27%

Total votes: 15

rcs
Unknown Immortal

computer - sound on? sound off?

Post by rcs »

usually my PC is on mute.. i rarely put the sound on.. when i do, it's for a very specific reason... check out a tune, or video...

on the occasion i mistakenly leave sound on, and go to some blog or trip into a myspace site, i find it kind of annoying to hear what they are piping in....

now, my stereo, on the hand... on 75%+ of the time... CDs, vinyl, cassettes - no radio...
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: computer - sound on? sound off?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Same reasoning as yours, but I'd guess I'm in the 25–50% range. Most of the time when I'm working, I have music going. Or while watching a ball game. But otherwise, I don't like speaker hum or the beeps and boops of alerts.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

rcs wrote:usually my PC is on mute.. i rarely put the sound on.. when i do, it's for a very specific reason... check out a tune, or video...

on the occasion i mistakenly leave sound on, and go to some blog or trip into a myspace site, i find it kind of annoying to hear what they are piping in....

now, my stereo, on the hand... on 75%+ of the time... CDs, vinyl, cassettes - no radio...
I don't have computer speakers per se, I have the soundcard output going right into my stereo and it goes on for Youtube stuff, mp3s and streaming college radio from back home. Although if I listen to something on mp3 often enough, it usually winds up on CD-R and in my CD changer soon enough anyway - I don't do 1000-song mixes in Winamp or Itunes, I tend to listen to full albums or concerts, or mixes that can fit onto a CDR.

Background music on web sites is so f'n obnoxious...I hate going to a band's Myspace site to see their show schedule, and get ambushed by one of their songs while I'm listening to something else...if I want to hear your song, I'll hit the play button. Maybe there's a way to disable that in Firefox?

So anyway, 25-50%.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

i've tried to listen to streaming radio, but other (as dr hooknut said) "beeps and boops" make it far too irritating...

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

At work, the speakers make a hideous feedback when anyone uses a walkie-talkie nearby to communicate (and everyone carries one because it's the only way to keep track of where everyone is). So I usually leave them off until I need them. There was an iPod dock in one of my drawers when I took over the office, so I usually just use that for music.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

At work, sound is usually muted. At home, it's usually on. Of course, if I'm home I'm almost always listening to music or watching videos or somesuch.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I use headphones for my desktop to avoid the electric hum and also using unnecessary electricity. The laptop has the sound usually to mute because I hate hearing Windows start up.

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Mimi wrote:I hate hearing Windows start up.
CORRECT ANSWER!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

rcs wrote:
CORRECT ANSWER!
What do I win, Bob?

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

Well, the sound doesn't work on my computer as it still has to only be run in Safe Mode cos it is STILL FUCKED UP BY VIRUSES. So really, I have no choice... :disshame:

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

Mimi wrote:
rcs wrote:
CORRECT ANSWER!
What do I win, Bob?
a drift-free thread of your own

Flex

Post by Flex »

Suzanne H. wrote:Well, the sound doesn't work on my computer as it still has to only be run in Safe Mode cos it is STILL FUCKED UP BY VIRUSES. So really, I have no choice... :disshame:
Are you running virus scans while in safe mode? What program do you use? Is it up to date?

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Suzanne H. wrote:Well, the sound doesn't work on my computer as it still has to only be run in Safe Mode cos it is STILL FUCKED UP BY VIRUSES. So really, I have no choice... :disshame:
Why not format your computer?

http://www.whitecanyon.com/how-to-format-computer.php

I had to do this a few years ago when I had similar problems to yours and it worked a treat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

Flex wrote:
Are you running virus scans while in safe mode? What program do you use? Is it up to date?
I have virus scanners and I even downloaded a few new ones. They all say my computer has viruses but you need to BUY the programs and register them in order to get rid of the viruses.
The most recent one is Anti Spyware Pro. I also have Spybot and Stopzilla.

I just need to scrape up enough money to get my computer fixed. That's the best bet.

I'll check out that formatting thing...but as I've said before, my computer is barely working. It might not be working good enough to do that.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Suzanne H. wrote:I have virus scanners and I even downloaded a few new ones. They all say my computer has viruses but you need to BUY the programs and register them in order to get rid of the viruses.
The most recent one is Anti Spyware Pro. I also have Spybot and Stopzilla.

I just need to scrape up enough money to get my computer fixed. That's the best bet.

I'll check out that formatting thing...but as I've said before, my computer is barely working. It might not be working good enough to do that.
Okay, you shouldn't have more than one anti-virus program running on your computer. Uninstall all of 'em (some of them might not even really be anti-virus programs) and get this: http://free.avg.com/

Make sure you download the free version, update it and run it. It should clean up your computer.

For anti-spyware just use Spybot and SpywareBlaster, uninstall the others. AntiSpywarePro is actually a malicious program.

Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
SpywareBlaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Both are free programs. And if you don't already do so, make sure you use a web browser other than Internet Explorer. I'd recommend Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html

Pex Lives!