Happy Birthday, weller259!

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Happy Birthday, weller259!

Post by JohnS »

Happy belated, sir. And anyone with a Frank Drebin avatar pic is fine by me
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Happy belated mate
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:59pm
weller259 wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:06pm
It's saying something that even with 1986 and all, weller's fandom makes me good with the Mets winning it all. I'd be in on the Jets if not for Rodgers. But it shows the power of a passionate and funny frustrated fan for persuading you.
Doc thanks, i'm not greedy, I just want one more before I die, you know? 1986 was a long time ago and nothing could change how I felt living through that year and how special it was, but that's the thing with sports, you just never know, that's why they play the games, all I hope for is one more.

I'm the same way with my Jets, nowadays they are owned by a Trumpchump white privileged guy born into the right family, and they sold their soul to get a QB who might actually be able to finally win them a second championship but is mentally challenged by anything not football-related. I want it to get so bad for them that they force the sale of the team to someone (coughSteveCohencough?) less reprehensible but the Jets make plenty of money win or lose so there's little chance they'll be sold in my lifetime. I can't help that when I was a kid and they were a good team that I became a fan, now all these years later I regret being a fan of theirs due to their owner. Rodgers could be forgiven by the fans however if he does in fact win them a championship but while i'd take the title I would not celebrate the QB because he's an ignorant moron. Definitely mixed feelings for sure.
The story of my life, that is, lol.
Being both an old bugger and having my team win a title, I've reversed my position on other fanbases' desires for championships. As someone from Western Canada, hating all things Toronto is, like, genetic. But living out east and having some friends who are both Leafs and Jays fans—like Inder—I've changed my mind and want those teams to win it all sooner rather than later. It's also fun when notorious fuck-up franchises put it together. Just once, tho. Don't push my sympathy. :shifty:
Yeah exactly how I feel. Oh you meant the Jays.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 10:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's saying something that even with 1986 and all, weller's fandom makes me good with the Mets winning it all. I'd be in on the Jets if not for Rodgers. But it shows the power of a passionate and funny frustrated fan for persuading you.
Doc thanks, i'm not greedy, I just want one more before I die, you know? 1986 was a long time ago and nothing could change how I felt living through that year and how special it was, but that's the thing with sports, you just never know, that's why they play the games, all I hope for is one more.

I'm the same way with my Jets, nowadays they are owned by a Trumpchump white privileged guy born into the right family, and they sold their soul to get a QB who might actually be able to finally win them a second championship but is mentally challenged by anything not football-related. I want it to get so bad for them that they force the sale of the team to someone (coughSteveCohencough?) less reprehensible but the Jets make plenty of money win or lose so there's little chance they'll be sold in my lifetime. I can't help that when I was a kid and they were a good team that I became a fan, now all these years later I regret being a fan of theirs due to their owner. Rodgers could be forgiven by the fans however if he does in fact win them a championship but while i'd take the title I would not celebrate the QB because he's an ignorant moron. Definitely mixed feelings for sure.
Being both an old bugger and having my team win a title, I've reversed my position on other fanbases' desires for championships. As someone from Western Canada, hating all things Toronto is, like, genetic. But living out east and having some friends who are both Leafs and Jays fans—like Inder—I've changed my mind and want those teams to win it all sooner rather than later. It's also fun when notorious fuck-up franchises put it together. Just once, tho. Don't push my sympathy. :shifty:
Jays, Leafs, Mets, Jets, Lions, Guardians, Vikings. I’m not saying they deserve it, like a participation ribbon, only that I’ll be genuinely happy for the fans who have learned to go into each season with an expectation of failure, especially of jaw-dropping collapse.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 10:24am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Jays, Leafs, Mets, Jets, Lions, Guardians, Vikings. I’m not saying they deserve it, like a participation ribbon, only that I’ll be genuinely happy for the fans who have learned to go into each season with an expectation of failure, especially of jaw-dropping collapse.
Im actually fine with any team winning for the most part but I dont subscribe to the "they deserve to win" theory or whatever you want to call it, like you mention above. If you put out a sub par team year after year you actually deserve to lose, this aint preschool rec league soccer where every kid gets a trophy of medal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 10:24am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:

Im actually fine with any team winning for the most part but I dont subscribe to the "they deserve to win" theory or whatever you want to call it, like you mention above. If you put out a sub par team year after year you actually deserve to lose, this aint preschool rec league soccer where every kid gets a trophy of medal.
E.g. the Colorado Rockies, a franchise whose lofty dreams are rising to mediocrity.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think the "deserve/participation" trophy thing is sort of a red herring. A team can't win a championship unless you play and win the games, nothing else factors into it. In terms of which fanbases we extend our sympathies to and thus cheer for a championship for them to alleviate their miseries, id argue fans of historically inept franchises generally "deserve" it more rather than less, so far as were measuring these things at all.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 12:06pm
I think the "deserve/participation" trophy thing is sort of a red herring. A team can't win a championship unless you play and win the games, nothing else factors into it. In terms of which fanbases we extend our sympathies to and thus cheer for a championship for them to alleviate their miseries, id argue fans of historically inept franchises generally "deserve" it more rather than less, so far as were measuring these things at all.
I elevate gut-punch suffering fans above those who just follow mediocre teams. There's something more profound(?) about having your heart ripped out by your teaming collapsing in the last week, say, versus a team that has been so incompetent/apathetic that the fans already know last place awaits in spring training year after year. Suffering matters for me when evaluating these things.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 1:33pm
Flex wrote:
I elevate gut-punch suffering fans above those who just follow mediocre teams. There's something more profound(?) about having your heart ripped out by your teaming collapsing in the last week, say, versus a team that has been so incompetent/apathetic that the fans already know last place awaits in spring training year after year. Suffering matters for me when evaluating these things.
I think that underrates the bleak misery of endless hopelessness

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 1:33pm
Flex wrote:
I think that underrates the bleak misery of endless hopelessness
Human beings are exceptional adapters. It's easier to adapt to an expectation of garbage year in and year out than to be shown happiness every so often and then have it yanked away. Actually, that undercuts my sympathy for Lions and Jets fans.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:00pm
Actually, that undercuts my sympathy for [...] Jets fans.
Then this discussion has reached a happy resolution for all parties.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:00pm
Actually, that undercuts my sympathy for [...] Jets fans.
Then this discussion has reached a happy resolution for all parties.
weller wrote:This birthday thread is over! :angry:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
I think they reserve the right to not route for a shitty team.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:52pm
Flex wrote:
Ah, the classic call of the front running Yankees fan.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:53pm
revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 2:52pm
Flex wrote:
Ah, the classic call of the front running Yankees fan.
Are Red Sox fans still complaining?