Happy Birthday, weller259!

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Happy Birthday, weller259!

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 5:27pm
revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 5:05pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 2:24pm
Happy birthday Weller! I'm glad to have (partially) met you via Zoom. Have a humdinger of a day!
Were you on that call, or are you all excluding me from these like my own family did?
That was the online gathering we had a year (or two?) back. You were there—you were wading in a lake or something.
Ok, I remember that. I dont recall Kory being on it though but I blame that on something other than me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Happy birthday Weller! I'm glad to have (partially) met you via Zoom. Have a humdinger of a day!
Were you on that call, or are you all excluding me from these like my own family did?
That was the online gathering we had a year (or two?) back. You were there—you were wading in a lake or something.
Ok, I remember that. I dont recall Kory being on it though but I blame that on something other than me.
My recollection is that you weren't able to stay the whole time and Kory showed up later, so you may have missed each other.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 6:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
My recollection is that you weren't able to stay the whole time and Kory showed up later, so you may have missed each other.
Ok, that makes more sense.

It was interesting to hear Weller's accent. Whatever I had is mostly non-existent now. Although I think it was fairly neutral but when I go back there and hear some friends/family talk Im taken aback by how pronounced their's is.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 6:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It was interesting to hear Weller's accent. Whatever I had is mostly non-existent now. Although I think it was fairly neutral but when I go back there and hear some friends/family talk Im taken aback by how pronounced their's is.
You were pretty neutral, as I remember. Not even New Englandish.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Wow. Let me just say a great big THANK YOU to EVERYONE for their kind wishes and even kinder words. I am truly floored by them. I'm just some nobody from New York who loves the Clash/BAD and discovered this "secret society" by accident really by looking for bootleg recordings. I remember being way too shy and a little bit intimidated by the forum discussions so I didn't participate much although I did read a LOT. To think that now I am a part of this is incredible to me.

You people are the ones who made that possible for me, welcoming me and reading/interacting with some posts I made and that means more to me than any of you will ever realize. I am eternally grateful to be a part of this place and i'm also honored to "know" all you people. This place and you people are definitely a highlight of my internet life which began in 2001 and I cannot imagine not being a part of this, even with my New York accent.

You people are so much more knowledgeable about music, life, and humanity than I am and I learn so much from you all and to me that is the mark of importance, learning from those who have different views and perspectives.
The baseball stuff is special to me as well, I am also truly amazed at the amount of baseball coverage there is here and although I think there's too much Red Sox (sorry I couldn't resist) I truly love the baseball talk from all angles and again I learn from it all.

This place feels like a second home for me, and you wonderful people are like a second family.

Rev calling me one of the "finest Mets fans" he knows is quite a compliment but it also begs the question "how many Mets fans DO you know?" for me to be one of the "finest", lol

And I am also glad my meatball recipe is still being used by someone other than me lol.

As for my day, it was quiet, no celebrations or anything, these comments here are the extent of my "celebrating", but that's OK because thankfully i'm not very high maintenance.

Again, a HUGE thank you to everyone for allowing me to be a part of this and for wishing me good tidings. I love you people.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Happy birthday, Welly!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 8:01pm
Rev calling me one of the "finest Mets fans" he knows is quite a compliment but it also begs the question "how many Mets fans DO you know?" for me to be one of the "finest", lol
Some of my best friends...

No but seriously you along with like two other fine people are some of the good ones...

Also Beaneater might not admit it outright but he's a closet Mets fan.

So all excellent people by my lofty standards.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 6:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think the two canceled each other out. My NY accent sometimes rises to the surface when Im driving though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 6:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think the two canceled each other out. My NY accent sometimes rises to the surface when Im driving though.
The Boss and I knew a woman from Sweden who was going to school in Canada. Her English was quite good, but with a Swedish accent (expectably). When she got pissed off, tho, it was hyper Swedish orgy borgy, like watching the Muppets' Swedish chef. Funny enough that people tried to rile her up.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sorry to take over Weller's bday thread...
I think what makes this place special is the comfort we have to be who we are here. Love you all...well except for...well youknow who you are.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's saying something that even with 1986 and all, weller's fandom makes me good with the Mets winning it all. I'd be in on the Jets if not for Rodgers. But it shows the power of a passionate and funny frustrated fan for persuading you.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 8:48pm
Sorry to take over Weller's bday thread...
I think what makes this place special is the comfort we have to be who we are here. Love you all...well except for...well youknow who you are.
No worries, this site is just one big thread anyway.
And I totally agree, that comfort is what makes this place special, and Its the people here who make that comfort possible. :cool:

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:06pm
It's saying something that even with 1986 and all, weller's fandom makes me good with the Mets winning it all. I'd be in on the Jets if not for Rodgers. But it shows the power of a passionate and funny frustrated fan for persuading you.
Doc thanks, i'm not greedy, I just want one more before I die, you know? 1986 was a long time ago and nothing could change how I felt living through that year and how special it was, but that's the thing with sports, you just never know, that's why they play the games, all I hope for is one more.

I'm the same way with my Jets, nowadays they are owned by a Trumpchump white privileged guy born into the right family, and they sold their soul to get a QB who might actually be able to finally win them a second championship but is mentally challenged by anything not football-related. I want it to get so bad for them that they force the sale of the team to someone (coughSteveCohencough?) less reprehensible but the Jets make plenty of money win or lose so there's little chance they'll be sold in my lifetime. I can't help that when I was a kid and they were a good team that I became a fan, now all these years later I regret being a fan of theirs due to their owner. Rodgers could be forgiven by the fans however if he does in fact win them a championship but while i'd take the title I would not celebrate the QB because he's an ignorant moron. Definitely mixed feelings for sure.
The story of my life, that is, lol.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 9:06pm
Doc thanks, i'm not greedy, I just want one more before I die, you know? 1986 was a long time ago and nothing could change how I felt living through that year and how special it was, but that's the thing with sports, you just never know, that's why they play the games, all I hope for is one more.

I'm the same way with my Jets, nowadays they are owned by a Trumpchump white privileged guy born into the right family, and they sold their soul to get a QB who might actually be able to finally win them a second championship but is mentally challenged by anything not football-related. I want it to get so bad for them that they force the sale of the team to someone (coughSteveCohencough?) less reprehensible but the Jets make plenty of money win or lose so there's little chance they'll be sold in my lifetime. I can't help that when I was a kid and they were a good team that I became a fan, now all these years later I regret being a fan of theirs due to their owner. Rodgers could be forgiven by the fans however if he does in fact win them a championship but while i'd take the title I would not celebrate the QB because he's an ignorant moron. Definitely mixed feelings for sure.
The story of my life, that is, lol.
Being both an old bugger and having my team win a title, I've reversed my position on other fanbases' desires for championships. As someone from Western Canada, hating all things Toronto is, like, genetic. But living out east and having some friends who are both Leafs and Jays fans—like Inder—I've changed my mind and want those teams to win it all sooner rather than later. It's also fun when notorious fuck-up franchises put it together. Just once, tho. Don't push my sympathy. :shifty:

XRCF
Junco Partner

Post by XRCF »

Happy Birthday!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀https://xrcf.xyz/
ImageImage
My mega links never die!