Inder's Been Banned

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Inder's Been Banned

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 5:46pm
revbob wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 5:12pm
JennyB wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 4:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 3:32pm
An admission: The Band do nothing for me at all.
I agree with this post.
Do they do anything for anyone other than bore the hell out of everyone. They could give the Grateful Dead a run for the money for the most boring hippie band.
Hippie band? They were tight and compact ensemble players, serving the song, and almost never took solos. And plus - Levon Helm.
I wont say they werent talented musicians but I stand by my previous categorization of both boring and hippie. Now hippie need not be a bad thing but when coupled with boring its pretty awful.
Exhibit A:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

revbob wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 6:51pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with this post.
Do they do anything for anyone other than bore the hell out of everyone. They could give the Grateful Dead a run for the money for the most boring hippie band.
Hippie band? They were tight and compact ensemble players, serving the song, and almost never took solos. And plus - Levon Helm.
I wont say they werent talented musicians but I stand by my previous categorization of both boring and hippie. Now hippie need not be a bad thing but when coupled with boring its pretty awful.
Exhibit A:
I don't go out of my way to put them on, but they could also be pretty excellent.

Plus, you know, they were the fuckin' 'Hawks. 😎😎😎

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 6:51pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with this post.
Exhibit A:
I've got pretty catholic musical tastes and like to think I only dig the best of any sort of genre/sub-genre, so whatever :approve: ... I'm assuming you don't dig Dylan, but if you do, check out something from the live '74 album with the Band 'Before the Flood' - they rock and rave in an, admittedly, uncharacteristically rowdy manner.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 7:11pm
band.
I've got pretty catholic musical tastes and like to think I only dig the best of any sort of genre/sub-genre, so whatever :approve: ... I'm assuming you don't dig Dylan, but if you do, check out something from the live '74 album with the Band 'Before the Flood' - they rock and rave in an, admittedly, uncharacteristically rowdy manner.
I actually like Bob Dylan quite a bit. Admittidly, Ive never done a deep dive but Ive generally always liked whatever I've heard. I like a lot of folk music actually.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob: America's Greatest Indigo Girls Fan™
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 7:50pm
revbob: America's Greatest Indigo Girls Fan™
Aww hells yeah!! Ive got seasons tickets to the Lilith Fair

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 6:43pm
matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 6:28pm
A few weeks ago, I gave a lecture on the culture wars in the US, and finished with a couple music-related examples: the PMRC/Jello Biafra obscenity trial; and 2 Live Crew's obscenity bust. Which meant that I used the phrases "We Want Some Pussy" and "Me So Horny" during the lecture. All the more goofy when delivered by a balding white guy in his late 40s. I paused to let the students know that at no other point in their post-secondary eduction would those phrases show up in a lecture. It got a laugh and then I could contextualize the whole thing.
Do you record these lectures? Could I get one?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 5:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
A few weeks ago, I gave a lecture on the culture wars in the US, and finished with a couple music-related examples: the PMRC/Jello Biafra obscenity trial; and 2 Live Crew's obscenity bust. Which meant that I used the phrases "We Want Some Pussy" and "Me So Horny" during the lecture. All the more goofy when delivered by a balding white guy in his late 40s. I paused to let the students know that at no other point in their post-secondary eduction would those phrases show up in a lecture. It got a laugh and then I could contextualize the whole thing.
Can't bear to hear the sound of my own voice so I don't record myself, but some students record the lectures rather than take notes. Which is a super lousy way of prepping for exams, I imagine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 6:12am
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 5:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Can't bear to hear the sound of my own voice so I don't record myself, but some students record the lectures rather than take notes. Which is a super lousy way of prepping for exams, I imagine.
I've heard your accent is excessively Canadian.

This whole debate is a drag, but your vulgarities reminded me of how straight faced Anderson Cooper was at this moment:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 10:03am
Bah. Wolter's a marble-mouthed goombah. I'd don't sound Atlantic Canadian a-boot, but, yeah, I'm pretty vulgar Western Canadian. I can slip into Bob and Doug McKenzie without much trying.
This whole debate is a drag, but your vulgarities reminded me of how straight faced Anderson Cooper was at this moment:
The boss was stunned that I'd say that in a class. But, I mean, how can I talk about the cultural wars about vulgarity and community standards and all that if I don't include the names of their supposedly offensive songs? When I talked about the Frankenchrist trial, I told them that I wasn't gonna show a picture of the poster and that if they want to, Google after class but not in class cos their neighbours might not want to see it. It's pretty fuckin' gross, if you ask me. Figuring out what I can say and not was itself a bit of the essence of the culture wars, tradition and community versus contemporary and the individual.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 10:03am
Bah. Wolter's a marble-mouthed goombah. I'd don't sound Atlantic Canadian a-boot, but, yeah, I'm pretty vulgar Western Canadian. I can slip into Bob and Doug McKenzie without much trying.
The boss was stunned that I'd say that in a class. But, I mean, how can I talk about the cultural wars about vulgarity and community standards and all that if I don't include the names of their supposedly offensive songs? When I talked about the Frankenchrist trial, I told them that I wasn't gonna show a picture of the poster and that if they want to, Google after class but not in class cos their neighbours might not want to see it. It's pretty fuckin' gross, if you ask me. Figuring out what I can say and not was itself a bit of the essence of the culture wars, tradition and community versus contemporary and the individual.
Does that mean you have a pass to say the n-word? Ah, the white man's dream.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 11:21am
Talking about NWA I said niggaz, if that counts. During my rock seminar, when we talked about hip hop and race, it might have come up—one essay I've used has the word in its title, I think—but certainly not gratuitously.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 11:55am
matedog wrote:
Talking about NWA I said niggaz, if that counts. During my rock seminar, when we talked about hip hop and race, it might have come up—one essay I've used has the word in its title, I think—but certainly not gratuitously.
When I did a podcast on Mississippi Burning, I had more than one opportunity to use the n word in reasonable context, mocking the language of the oppressor. But I noticed I was looking forward to being able to do so, it'd give me a "I'm being a naughty boy" thrill so I decided against it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 1:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 11:55am
matedog wrote:
When I did a podcast on Mississippi Burning, I had more than one opportunity to use the n word in reasonable context, mocking the language of the oppressor. But I noticed I was looking forward to being able to do so, it'd give me a "I'm being a naughty boy" thrill so I decided against it.
Using impolite language, if that's the best description for it, in lectures is something I'm really wary of. I know that I can justify my usage, but I don't see any value in shocking students on those grounds and I don't want to get derailed justifying my word choice. Still, when I explained how Nixon had committed treason to win the '68 election, and we know this because LBJ was bugging his phone but couldn't expose him because, well, he was bugging a presidential candidate's phone for no good reason, I said it was two assholes being true to their character. A word milder than asshole doesn't cut it.