I just want to say...

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: I just want to say...

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:33am
There's a strong contingent of Beach Boys fans here, though, so ain't no problem. :cool:

:cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:53am
Historians can be even worse. I've always had a solid interest in auto racing - especially racing history - but I'm definitely a novice historian at best. Racing history forums are truly vicious. Those who consider themselves "true" historians will just attack people for making a simple mistake. Get a fact wrong and I've seen people hounded out of forums.

The same can happen for any subject. There will always be those who want to prove they know more than you and they truly enjoy pointing it out.

I've been a fan of the Clash since I was fairly young - but I admit I don't know as much about them as a lot of people. There have been other bands that have held by interest and my philosophy is that I'd rather know something about all the bands I've loved than to obsess over the details of one particular band or musician.

This is sad and the best way to deal with people like that is just to ignore them. Again - going back to the racing forums - they want to get you upset and when they can't they'll keep poking at you - trying to provoke you - but if you ignore them they move onto another target.

I think it is cool to be passionate about things and when you're passionate about things you naturally want to discuss them with those who share you passion. The internet has made that so easy - and that is great - we just need to keep the trolls out! :mrgreen:
I guess I don't understand that level of obsession, which is weird since I have an obsessive brain.

The worst I've seen was in the young adult writing community. Teenage fans dragging their favorite author because she didn't write a character the way they wanted. It was totally vicious. She was doxxed a few times. Fans even showed up at her house. They publicly threatened to take her down during a panel at a writing conference or a book signing. That. Is. Nuts. That level of fandom needs a psychiatric intervention.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:55am
The people here are great. With the exception of the stray troll, it's been one of my favorite places on the web.
Definitely. There's no way I'm as passionate a fan of the Clash than the vast majority of people here—ironically, it was DCT that pushed me away from just plain enjoying the band as I once did—but the people here are, as a whole, fucking great. Intelligent, funny, decent. Plenty of people here I'd go to the mat for (even Heston!).
WestwayKid wrote:
Historians can be even worse. I've always had a solid interest in auto racing - especially racing history - but I'm definitely a novice historian at best. Racing history forums are truly vicious. Those who consider themselves "true" historians will just attack people for making a simple mistake. Get a fact wrong and I've seen people hounded out of forums.
No argument from me about the awfulness of historians. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:09pm
Mimi wrote:
The people here are great. With the exception of the stray troll, it's been one of my favorite places on the web.
Definitely. There's no way I'm as passionate a fan of the Clash than the vast majority of people here—ironically, it was DCT that pushed me away from just plain enjoying the band as I once did—but the people here are, as a whole, fucking great. Intelligent, funny, decent. Plenty of people here I'd go to the mat for (even Heston!).
WestwayKid wrote:
*Doc looks in the mirror and smiles*

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
*Doc looks in the mirror and smiles*
:kiss:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:57am

That's worse than "WBTC," right? And "Hotel California"? Leaving aside the unintentional comedy of it all, aesthetically it has absolutely no value, made worse by the fact that it was done by a major, major band.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:29pm
matedog wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:57am

That's worse than "WBTC," right? And "Hotel California"? Leaving aside the unintentional comedy of it all, aesthetically it has absolutely no value, made worse by the fact that it was done by a major, major band.
I love how Brian showed up for this. And Stamos too, but only on that sunset shot where he is barely discernible. The other time they are playing, Jardine's giant kid is playing drums.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

It's a musical atrocity. Fuck Mile Love, indeed.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I'm going to test this assertion by attempting to destroy Heston.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
His diet is worse than mine. He's an immortal. He is our curse for myriad crimes.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
His diet is worse than mine. He's an immortal. He is our curse for myriad crimes.
I'm just knocking up some sausages, super noodles and chips. Fancy some?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Actually, yes. I'll bring a vindaloo.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Did you clean the spermacidal jelly off the wrapper first?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is my go to clip (hope I posted it correctly) when I want to describe how awful Mike Love can be. Everything from the creepy LP cover to the seriously horrendously creepy song!?

He's not without some redeeming value - but more often than not - guy is a off the rails - but he's fun to dislike!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble