The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Post by 101Walterton »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Ha ha yes i did understand why the change had to be made. I was just observing that the conversation was more varied and fresh back then. Not that i am saying anything is wrong with the conversation today but the forum was just more supportive with new and fresh posts.

I guess what i was saying is, that the website is a victim of its own success. Plus SM is totally right about the additional choices posters have with other social media as well.
Time moves on. There was a lot of interest in the site when trading became easier and you could just download whatever show you wanted. Plus the peak was the couple of years after Joe died and music was still being released (albeit it in rehashed formats).
Once that died down and everyone had filled their boots people drifted away.
At one point a regular poster (Lavonne) had a birthday party on here and there were 100 registered regulars on the site all at once.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The website is dying because it's just a circlejerk of inside jokes and happy birthdays

Post by Marky Dread »

Why do I come here?

...because I can.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

101Walterton wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:Ha ha yes i did understand why the change had to be made. I was just observing that the conversation was more varied and fresh back then. Not that i am saying anything is wrong with the conversation today but the forum was just more supportive with new and fresh posts.

I guess what i was saying is, that the website is a victim of its own success. Plus SM is totally right about the additional choices posters have with other social media as well.
Time moves on. There was a lot of interest in the site when trading became easier and you could just download whatever show you wanted. Plus the peak was the couple of years after Joe died and music was still being released (albeit it in rehashed formats).
At one point a regular poster (Lavonne) had a birthday party on here and there were 100 registered regulars on the site all at once.
Your post got me thinking actually about time moving on. Well it only does if companies think its worth money too and it will easily go back quite happily if the money directs it. Let me explain with an example.
Vinyl - we all know how that was forced out the door and sent to the graveyard in the eighties through to the noughties. They will tell you that no one wanted it, when in fact no matter how much or hard you wanted vinyl it wasn't made easily available to you and we were all was forced to go to CD. The money now was all going to the digital breakthrough and of course we could butter and jam our discs with no problem as CD will give us perfect sound every time regardless and forever as demonstrated on Tomorrows World :shifty: So we all had to buy all those billions of vinyl replacements again with digital CD as Record players were not readily available also.

Any way digital was fantastic we could share and rip tracks download,stream, compress to our devices and music turned out to be free again we all love this !!! ( I know you can rip vinyl with the right equipment as we all know but its just more painful.)

Oh the companies didn't see that coming so guess what Vinyl is on a comeback you have plenty of choice for vinyl players in shops and now Vinyl discs are taking up bigger and bigger sections in the shop floor each year.

So after telling us how crap vinyl is we are all being told the coolest way to listen to music is through vinyl now. (By the way i do think vinyl does have a better organic / physical sound than CD but thats just my opinion).

But we are not being controlled of course all the choice is all ours. Watch this space

If it was the norm to see adverts in forums and forums were funded with control through adverts maybe we would have a very happy Inder and free posting with no registration could be the way forward again :) Money makes the world go around, the world go around , the world go around.

I think i must have too much time on my hands today :rolleyes:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Your post got me thinking actually about time moving on. Well it only does if companies think its worth money too and it will easily go back quite happily if the money directs it. Let me explain with an example.
Vinyl - we all know how that was forced out the door and sent to the graveyard in the eighties through to the noughties. They will tell you that no one wanted it, when in fact no matter how much or hard you wanted vinyl it wasn't made easily available to you and we were all was forced to go to CD. The money now was all going to the digital breakthrough and of course we could butter and jam our discs with no problem as CD will give us perfect sound every time regardless and forever as demonstrated on Tomorrows World :shifty: So we all had to buy all those billions of vinyl replacements again with digital CD as Record players were not readily available also.

Any way digital was fantastic we could share and rip tracks download,stream, compress to our devices and music turned out to be free again we all love this !!! ( I know you can rip vinyl with the right equipment as we all know but its just more painful.)

Oh the companies didn't see that coming so guess what Vinyl is on a comeback you have plenty of choice for vinyl players in shops and now Vinyl discs are taking up bigger and bigger sections in the shop floor each year.

So after telling us how crap vinyl is we are all being told the coolest way to listen to music is through vinyl now. (By the way i do think vinyl does have a better organic / physical sound than CD but thats just my opinion).

But we are not being controlled of course all the choice is all ours. Watch this space

If it was the norm to see adverts in forums and forums were funded with control through adverts maybe we would have a very happy Inder and free posting with no registration could be the way forward again :) Money makes the world go around, the world go around , the world go around.

Vinyl is great but it don't always sound better than CD either. I've bought some fucking horrible repressings. Most stuff that's been anologue recorded sounds better on vinyl but the same can be said for digital on CD. Vinyl making a comeback is a bullshit claim as well to be honest. It's just a case of upping up the price. New vinyl albums are way over priced.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Vinyl is great but it don't always sound better than CD either. I've bought some fucking horrible repressings. Most stuff that's been anologue recorded sounds better on vinyl but the same can be said for digital on CD. Vinyl making a comeback is a bullshit claim as well to be honest. It's just a case of upping up the price. New vinyl albums are way over priced.
I am totally with you Marky the thought of going back to vinyl after the convenience of digital I dont think i could do it. The companies really want it and i think the bands do too even though they would never admit it. The temptation of everyone changing their billions of digital songs back to vinyl is too great of a way to make multiple billions all over again.
Hugh Cornwell said in a interview "the minute he releases a digital song there is no money to be made from it".
Bands today can only make there money from those songs by going on tour and playing live so that's why so many bands are reuniting for live shows Its a business model they dont really like or find too profitable but has become a necessity. The access to all songs through ripping and sharing and of course Spotify makes full purchases less likely.

Today to get a album into the top 40 you need to sell between 4,000 - 4,500 copies.the days of vinyl it was closer too 100,000 copies and nearer the 500,000 for a number 1 in the charts.

From official charts quote
" Likewise, you have had to sell around 60,000-plus copies to become the Official Number 1 Album and sell 4,000 to 4,500 reach number 40."

So you can see the loss of revenue is not surprisingly massive. So i think there is a new plan to get people to want to return to the bullshit vinyl as its less likely to be ripped greatly making the business plan back in the favour of the music industry.

They can do it and already started and at the end of the day we are all sheep and society is all sheep and once a few start collecting Vinyl we will all follow blindly you me and everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised in time we will all be owning our LP players and vinyls feeling very proud and cool with our music.

Yeah definitely all bullshit. ! but possibly unavoidable

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I am totally with you Marky the thought of going back to vinyl after the convenience of digital I dont think i could do it. The companies really want it and i think the bands do too even though they would never admit it. The temptation of everyone changing their billions of digital songs back to vinyl is too great of a way to make multiple billions all over again.
Hugh Cornwell said in a interview "the minute he releases a digital song there is no money to be made from it".
Bands today can only make there money from those songs by going on tour and playing live so that's why so many bands are reuniting for live shows Its a business model they dont really like or find too profitable but has become a necessity. The access to all songs through ripping and sharing and of course Spotify makes full purchases less likely.

Today to get a album into the top 40 you need to sell between 4,000 - 4,500 copies.the days of vinyl it was closer too 100,000 copies and nearer the 500,000 for a number 1 in the charts.

From official charts quote
" Likewise, you have had to sell around 60,000-plus copies to become the Official Number 1 Album and sell 4,000 to 4,500 reach number 40."

So you can see the loss of revenue is not surprisingly massive. So i think there is a new plan to get people to want to return to the bullshit vinyl as its less likely to be ripped greatly making the business plan back in the favour of the music industry.

They can do it and already started and at the end of the day we are all sheep and society is all sheep and once a few start collecting Vinyl we will all follow blindly you me and everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised in time we will all be owning our LP players and vinyls feeling very proud and cool with our music.

Yeah definitely all bullshit. ! but possibly unavoidable
Definitely the age old story of a very greedy industry.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

white man wrote:
Inder wrote:What a good idea. I'll start —

Madagascar
Guitar Wolf
kidney stones
imitation crabmeat
sequin hobo handbag
cat among the pigeons
the mighty yeti
disco mystic
KORNGOLD!
we built this city on actually good and subversive rock and roll
hoy
hoyston
can't it be both
shamred
sealed pancake
YES THERE IS A FUCKING FACE ON MARS
slit your throat
proto punk
Red Sox Fans Talk About The Clash
dub plates
The Scottish Taper
feet to the fire/owe it to the fans

What else?
Twat
That's Inane Middle Class Twat to you, sir.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Maybe this is the only band that matters, after all you know Jesus did come back after some 2000 years to ask "Really, can we get back to talking about the Clash?"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:Maybe this is the only band that matters, after all you know Jesus did come back after some 2000 years to ask "Really, can we get back to talking about the Clash?"
:lol: Then added, "Oh, Lutheranism is the one true religion. Ta!"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The older stuff recorded pre CD definitely sounds better on vinyl.
Vinyl prices are crazy, it costs more to buy original LPs second hand than they cost new and new vinyl is double the price of the CD version yet that used to be the grievance against CDs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The older stuff recorded pre CD definitely sounds better on vinyl.
Vinyl prices are crazy, it costs more to buy original LPs second hand than they cost new and new vinyl is double the price of the CD version yet that used to be the grievance against CDs.
People often say that vinyl has a warmth that CD's can not reprodruce but I think it's the sound created by anologue equipment that gives off that warmth. You get a sharper more clinical feel from digital which can sound more detailed yet often loses a little bottom end. To me it's all about how you mix the sound, so much is mixed for radio play these days and ends up brickwalled and horrid.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, it appears that Jesus has forsaken us. Again. We really needed Mensa Steve to step in and advocate. :(
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:So, it appears that Jesus has forsaken us. Again. We really needed Mensa Steve to step in and advocate. :(
Vinyl has a warmth I just can't find in religion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

NoMoreHugh wrote:forced to go to CD. The money now was all going to the digital breakthrough and of course we could butter and jam our discs with no problem as CD will give us perfect sound every time regardless and forever as demonstrated on Tomorrows World
I totally remember being under the impression that a compact disc was indestructible.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:forced to go to CD. The money now was all going to the digital breakthrough and of course we could butter and jam our discs with no problem as CD will give us perfect sound every time regardless and forever as demonstrated on Tomorrows World
I totally remember being under the impression that a compact disc was indestructible.
The big leap forward that I recall of the hype was that we'd never have to deal with skipping records ever again. Rude awakening when the sound of a stuck cd sounded like a torture technique.