Happy Birthday, Purple Hayes! (01/10/62 - 03/10/16) R.I.P.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Happy Birthday, Purple Hayes!

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
ClashBoardJunior wrote:Thanks for all the nice words about him. Means alot that he was thought highly of.

Unfortunately we lost him tonight. Have the Clash on f*cking loud and proud for him wherever you are, I'm sure he can hear it! Would always talk about this place and the charcters and I'm sure I met one or two before Hard-Fi and Big Audio Dynamite gigs with him. Even waited an hour in Cologne to meet someone off here who no-showed on us! He outlasted Thatcher and that was all he wanted the day he was diagnosed, to see that b*tch in the ground before him!
Yep I met you and Rob in the boozer before the Big Audio Dynamite gig. You took some photos of us if memory serves. I'm really saddened to hear about Rob's passing and offer my condolences. I'll be playing The Ruts in his honour "just for the crack". R.I.P my brother.
That was a great afternoon. Meeting you (James (shaved head ) on the bus then getting off and heading in the wrong direction and bumping into Mick Jones. Then getting hassled by a crazy woman in the shopping centre. Then finally meeting Rob smoking his hash walking down the street. Getting hassled by a drunk guy in the boozer then the same guy at the gig pulling me backwards and ending up on the floor then the doorman throwing him out. Being picked up off the floor by a couple of B.A.D. fans and bouncing straight back into the action on my DM's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wish I could have met him, he always brightened this place up. My sincere condolences.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Was lucky enough to have met Rob a few years ago — absolute gent. Condolences to his friends and family.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Condolences and RIP Robert. Fuck, he was a hell of a guy. There aren't enough just truly genuine, excellent human beings in this world, and now we're down another one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
ClashBoardJunior wrote:Thanks for all the nice words about him. Means alot that he was thought highly of.

Unfortunately we lost him tonight. Have the Clash on f*cking loud and proud for him wherever you are, I'm sure he can hear it! Would always talk about this place and the charcters and I'm sure I met one or two before Hard-Fi and Big Audio Dynamite gigs with him. Even waited an hour in Cologne to meet someone off here who no-showed on us! He outlasted Thatcher and that was all he wanted the day he was diagnosed, to see that b*tch in the ground before him!
Yep I met you and Rob in the boozer before the Big Audio Dynamite gig. You took some photos of us if memory serves. I'm really saddened to hear about Rob's passing and offer my condolences. I'll be playing The Ruts in his honour "just for the crack". R.I.P my brother.
That was a great afternoon.
i love how in all the pics i've seen of Purpley he always looks so young and fit and...ready to throw down. and how all pics of Murph, he just looks like a drunken Paddy :mrgreen:
is that you in the middle, Marky?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

i love how in all the pics i've seen of Purpley he always looks so young and fit and...ready to throw down. and how all pics of Murph, he just looks like a drunken Paddy :mrgreen:
Yeah that's me in a purple murph sandwich.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
:lol: i don't think i've ever seen a pic of you before mate. ya know what you look like to me? some dude in a pub with some mates hoisting a pint. such a photogenic chap you are! ;)

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
That was a great afternoon. Meeting you (James (shaved head ) on the bus then getting off and heading in the wrong direction and bumping into Mick Jones. Then getting hassled by a crazy woman in the shopping centre. Then finally meeting Rob smoking his hash walking down the street. Getting hassled by a drunk guy in the boozer then the same guy at the gig pulling me backwards and ending up on the floor then the doorman throwing him out. Being picked up off the floor by a couple of B.A.D. fans and bouncing straight back into the action on my DM's.
[/quote]
great story to hear, mate! Purpley just casually bopping down the street smoking some hash? :cool:
bumping into Mick? what, the bus bumped him? was he OK? :mrgreen:

sounds a grand day. wish i could have been there with you lot!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
:lol: i don't think i've ever seen a pic of you before mate. ya know what you look like to me? some dude in a pub with some mates hoisting a pint. such a photogenic chap you are! ;)
That pic was taken pre-op. I've got long blonde hair and eyes of blue now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
great story to hear, mate! Purpley just casually bopping down the street smoking some hash? :cool:

sounds a grand day. wish i could have been there with you lot![/quote]

James and I just jumped off the bus walked across the road and the first person we see is Mick on his way to the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Mick was very sweet but I refused to give him my autograph.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
That pic was taken pre-op. I've got long blonde hair and eyes of blue now.
that explains Rob and Murph's expressions:
PH: "Oi, wots all this then about an operation, Mark?"

James: * sheer disillusionment*

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

James and I just jumped off the bus walked across the road and the first person we see is Mick on his way to the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Mick was very sweet but I refused to give him my autograph.[/quote]
oh how mean. you gotta do it for the fans you know.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

James and I just jumped off the bus walked across the road and the first person we see is Mick on his way to the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Mick was very sweet but I refused to give him my autograph.
oh how mean. you gotta do it for the fans you know.[/quote]

I was worried he might nick my pen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

oh how mean. you gotta do it for the fans you know.
I was worried he might nick my pen.[/quote]
yeah but just think, it could have ended up in his Rock n ' Roll Public Library exhibition!

ClashBoardJunior
Corner Soul

Post by ClashBoardJunior »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Appreciate the love he had here!

I actually have quite a few pics of that night I believe, you three in the venue, outside the front and in the pub - not sure if you both have them? Happy to post them up here!