Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by tepista »

hey, i watched Back to School drunk yesterday
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:hey, i watched Back to School drunk yesterday

Fine film. I like Kurt Vonnegut's cameo.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
tepista wrote:hey, i watched Back to School drunk yesterday

Fine film. I like Kurt Vonnegut's cameo.
Think I'll watch it tomorrow.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Had my first class of the year (US, 1865–1945) and afterwards had a student say that he never expected to have an instructor wearing a Swans shirt. I told him he was probably right. My god, tho, after an hour my voice was croaking, let alone the upcoming 3 hour lectures. I'm going to have to be sucking on lozenges while talking or else I'll be Harvey Fierstein.
"Wandering through starry skies and when tomorrow's day arrives, I'll be a morning closer to the brightest hour here with you. One step closer, getting brighter. One step closer, getting brighter." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2017, 8:32pm
Had my first class of the year (US, 1865–1945) and afterwards had a student say that he never expected to have an instructor wearing a Swans shirt. I told him he was probably right. My god, tho, after an hour my voice was croaking, let alone the upcoming 3 hour lectures. I'm going to have to be sucking on lozenges while talking or else I'll be Harvey Fierstein.
I got your back.

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/blogs ... -films.htm

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd ... _md4oOjc6K

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/2 ... -watching/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heh, I watched a number of those for my diss research. Premise behind every mental hygiene flick: teenagers are idiots, maybe even self-destructively so. Let experts socialize them before it's too late.
"Wandering through starry skies and when tomorrow's day arrives, I'll be a morning closer to the brightest hour here with you. One step closer, getting brighter. One step closer, getting brighter." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I can't imagine how you do a 3 hour lecture though. A pretty interesting period of history you have there. Lots of parallels to what's happening now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2017, 7:19pm
A pretty interesting period of history you have there. Lots of parallels to what's happening now.
When I was writing lectures this summer, the parallels popped up plenty of times. The election of 1896, between big business and populism, comes to mind, tho in that case the populists lost. And the 1920s, which was a period of retrenched nativism and looting of the public treasury by Republican administrations.

My former supervisor, who teaches the 1945 to present course, which is, weirdly, scheduled in the term before mine, said she had a number of snarling Trumpists in her class. I'm intrigued whether I'll get any of them and how they'll respond cos my lectures don't shy away from racism and sexism.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2017, 8:12pm
revbob wrote:
A pretty interesting period of history you have there. Lots of parallels to what's happening now.
When I was writing lectures this summer, the parallels popped up plenty of times. The election of 1896, between big business and populism, comes to mind, tho in that case the populists lost. And the 1920s, which was a period of retrenched nativism and looting of the public treasury by Republican administrations.

My former supervisor, who teaches the 1945 to present course, which is, weirdly, scheduled in the term before mine, said she had a number of snarling Trumpists in her class. I'm intrigued whether I'll get any of them and how they'll respond cos my lectures don't shy away from racism and sexism.
I was also thinking (and this is yet to fully play out) of the corruption/cronyism of the Grant administration and what we're seeing with Trump.

Why the fuck are there Trumpists in Canada? Are these students from the US studying in Canada?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2017, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I was also thinking (and this is yet to fully play out) of the corruption/cronyism of the Grant administration and what we're seeing with Trump.
The other day I told my sister that the Harding administration will be the reference point to gleeful corruption that the Trump gang will be bringing. A bunch of goons with zero interest or ability in public administration and a belief that getting rich anyway possible is a virtue.
Why the fuck are there Trumpists in Canada? Are these students from the US studying in Canada?
There are some American students up here, but we have plenty of nativist whites up here, too. The federal Conservatives are in the midst of a leadership campaign right now and one nitwit is trying to replicate Trump's strategy. Whether it's a difference in the two nations' political culture or her poor huckstering skills, she doesn't seem likely to win (a doctor who proudly decries the elites). But, trust me, we have no shortage of people who respond to "Canadian values" (read: white) dog whistles. I hope to Christ that the social democrats up here are smart enough to shift populist left and not just leave that mood to the right.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2017, 9:55pm
revbob wrote:
14 Jan 2017, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The other day I told my sister that the Harding administration will be the reference point to gleeful corruption that the Trump gang will be bringing. A bunch of goons with zero interest or ability in public administration and a belief that getting rich anyway possible is a virtue.
There are some American students up here, but we have plenty of nativist whites up here, too. The federal Conservatives are in the midst of a leadership campaign right now and one nitwit is trying to replicate Trump's strategy. Whether it's a difference in the two nations' political culture or her poor huckstering skills, she doesn't seem likely to win (a doctor who proudly decries the elites). But, trust me, we have no shortage of people who respond to "Canadian values" (read: white) dog whistles. I hope to Christ that the social democrats up here are smart enough to shift populist left and not just leave that mood to the right.
I've been seeing a lot of people from the UK posting pro-Trump stuff online as well. They think he's going to change the world for the better.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tonight's lecture is on industrialization, presenting students with the choice of interpreting in favour of technological development and immense wealth creation or economic stratification and loss of workplace autonomy. I'll be making the case for both, but I'm curious how many want to speak up one way or another.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2017, 4:46pm
Tonight's lecture is on industrialization, presenting students with the choice of interpreting in favour of technological development and immense wealth creation or economic stratification and loss of workplace autonomy. I'll be making the case for both, but I'm curious how many want to speak up one way or another.
So how are these Friday night classes going? I've never known a school to have Friday evening classes. Most times the profs are looking to get the weekend started as much as the students.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 12:44pm
So how are these Friday night classes going? I've never known a school to have Friday evening classes. Most times the profs are looking to get the weekend started as much as the students.
And, indeed, there's no tenured prof willing to teach in that shitty timeslot. My dept head told me last week that she's used me to shame the complainers in the dept. But then I'm just a sessional—my room to complain is pretty narrrow.

This is the first school I've been in that had Friday evening classes. Crazy awful. And, yeah, attendance is already around 60% of enrolment. I knew that would happen, tho, and expect it to drop again come March, when assignments in other courses mount. Three-hour lectures are wretched; Friday night is insult to injury. My lecture last night kinda collapsed in the second half and it was my own fault. I was trying to convey the diversity of urban life and thought in the late 19th century, but I ended up overloading them with too many facets, which came off—at least to me as I was talking—as one goddamned thing after another. Not enough focus. Oh well, it happens. In a couple weeks, I get to the 20th c, and then stuff will get a lot more comfortable for me to talk about. Still, if you can reach 10% of the class, be happy with that, and I've got about 15% based on those who want to talk after class. So, based on that standard, it's going well enough.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 1:43pm
revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2017, 12:44pm
And, indeed, there's no tenured prof willing to teach in that shitty timeslot. My dept head told me last week that she's used me to shame the complainers in the dept. But then I'm just a sessional—my room to complain is pretty narrrow.

This is the first school I've been in that had Friday evening classes. Crazy awful. And, yeah, attendance is already around 60% of enrolment. I knew that would happen, tho, and expect it to drop again come March, when assignments in other courses mount. Three-hour lectures are wretched; Friday night is insult to injury. My lecture last night kinda collapsed in the second half and it was my own fault. I was trying to convey the diversity of urban life and thought in the late 19th century, but I ended up overloading them with too many facets, which came off—at least to me as I was talking—as one goddamned thing after another. Not enough focus. Oh well, it happens. In a couple weeks, I get to the 20th c, and then stuff will get a lot more comfortable for me to talk about. Still, if you can reach 10% of the class, be happy with that, and I've got about 15% based on those who want to talk after class. So, based on that standard, it's going well enough.
If you're getting that many who want to chat after class then it sounds like you're doing well. I'd love to take your classes but I hate writing papers that's partly what pushed me into math and science.