Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Mar 2018, 11:40am

I enjoy grading season. I enjoy experiencing student creativity. Mainly the creativity of inventing their own referencing system. As if I won't notice or care that it was made up on the fly.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by eumaas » 13 Jun 2018, 1:31pm

Doctor Medulla, I have found your new research topic.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=cgpc20
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 13 Jun 2018, 2:26pm

eumaas wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 1:31pm
Doctor Medulla, I have found your new research topic.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=cgpc20
Jesus Christ. Maybe the weird topic leads to some more wide-ranging and interesting ideas, but that kind of stuff tells me there are way too many people in the business. I was always tell people I didn't bother seeking to publish, in whole or in part, my diss because I didn't think it had sufficient social value, and I still stand by that. There's way too much shit—pejorative intended—being published, with the absurd quantity swamping the overall quality. Who wants to spend their life, or even part of it, working on something that appeals to three other people?
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by eumaas » 23 Jul 2018, 3:52pm

Mark Wrathall, the foremost protege of the late philosopher Hubert Dreyfus is teaching at Oxford now. I had thought that UNC destroyed my vocation for philosophy but I am considering applying to get a DPhil there so that I can study under him.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduat ... phy?wssl=1#

Any thoughts?
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jul 2018, 4:46pm

eumaas wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 3:52pm
Mark Wrathall, the foremost protege of the late philosopher Hubert Dreyfus is teaching at Oxford now. I had thought that UNC destroyed my vocation for philosophy but I am considering applying to get a DPhil there so that I can study under him.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduat ... phy?wssl=1#

Any thoughts?
If that's what you want—I mean really want—sure, why not apply? Definitely a tough school to get into—lots of international applicants—but if that's the only place (or, rather person) that works for you, give it a shot. That said, first of all, you should make contact with this guy. Maybe he doesn't take grad students. Or maybe he takes a shine to you and will help steer your application thru. Anonymity is never your friend in these things. So, drop him an email and ask whether he's accepting grad students and take it from there. If he's amenable, explain what you want to work on and all that. Fingers crossed!
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by eumaas » 23 Jul 2018, 5:38pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 4:46pm
eumaas wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 3:52pm
Mark Wrathall, the foremost protege of the late philosopher Hubert Dreyfus is teaching at Oxford now. I had thought that UNC destroyed my vocation for philosophy but I am considering applying to get a DPhil there so that I can study under him.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduat ... phy?wssl=1#

Any thoughts?
If that's what you want—I mean really want—sure, why not apply? Definitely a tough school to get into—lots of international applicants—but if that's the only place (or, rather person) that works for you, give it a shot. That said, first of all, you should make contact with this guy. Maybe he doesn't take grad students. Or maybe he takes a shine to you and will help steer your application thru. Anonymity is never your friend in these things. So, drop him an email and ask whether he's accepting grad students and take it from there. If he's amenable, explain what you want to work on and all that. Fingers crossed!
Thank you for the advice. Emailing him is actually the first step I was contemplating doing, so that’s reassuring.

For me if I am gonna do philosophy, I need to do it somewhere amenable to my focus because I am in my thirties now and have felt my energy decline. If I couldn’t do it, at least it would convince me to give academia a rest once and for all.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jul 2018, 5:54pm

eumaas wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 5:38pm
Thank you for the advice. Emailing him is actually the first step I was contemplating doing, so that’s reassuring.
It's a weird thing, but most people don't think of doing that. Modesty, I assume. But you do yourself so many favours by contacting the person first, especially by making your application less abstract. Grad schools hate risks, taking someone who isn't serious or is crazy or what have you. Making yourself human and someone that your guy is interested in mentoring, it's like cutting in line.
For me if I am gonna do philosophy, I need to do it somewhere amenable to my focus because I am in my thirties now and have felt my energy decline. If I couldn’t do it, at least it would convince me to give academia a rest once and for all.
That's a great attitude, I think. It's on your terms and you're aware of what you want and need from the whole thing. I was very happy when I walked away in '99 and it actually made it easier to come back in 2011 because I knew exactly what I wanted and why. Yeah, you want Oxford to take you, but it also has to be under conditions that you're good with.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by eumaas » 24 Jul 2018, 7:29pm

Hmm, according to their website you aren't supposed to contact any faculty. So I suppose I should refrain.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Jul 2018, 7:41pm

eumaas wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 7:29pm
Hmm, according to their website you aren't supposed to contact any faculty. So I suppose I should refrain.
Well, how hoity-toity, dirty peasant of them. As a work-around, is there someone in Chapel Hill's philosophy department who will act as an intermediary for you to make initial inquiries?

(B just told me she gets emails from people in 3rd world countries looking for academic sponsorship to get out. They have no clue what she specializes in, they just say they want to study with her.)
Endut! Hoch Hech!

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1262
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by gkbill » 24 Jul 2018, 11:50pm

eumaas wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 4:46pm
eumaas wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 3:52pm
Mark Wrathall, the foremost protege of the late philosopher Hubert Dreyfus is teaching at Oxford now. I had thought that UNC destroyed my vocation for philosophy but I am considering applying to get a DPhil there so that I can study under him.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduat ... phy?wssl=1#

Any thoughts?
If that's what you want—I mean really want—sure, why not apply? Definitely a tough school to get into—lots of international applicants—but if that's the only place (or, rather person) that works for you, give it a shot. That said, first of all, you should make contact with this guy. Maybe he doesn't take grad students. Or maybe he takes a shine to you and will help steer your application thru. Anonymity is never your friend in these things. So, drop him an email and ask whether he's accepting grad students and take it from there. If he's amenable, explain what you want to work on and all that. Fingers crossed!
Thank you for the advice. Emailing him is actually the first step I was contemplating doing, so that’s reassuring.

For me if I am gonna do philosophy, I need to do it somewhere amenable to my focus because I am in my thirties now and have felt my energy decline. If I couldn’t do it, at least it would convince me to give academia a rest once and for all.
Hello,

I left UNCG ABD at 34, went away from academia for 10 years, but I was really energized as I felt so strongly about the discipline (Sport and Exercise Psychology). You may become re-energized if you feel strongly about the material and the value of the material to students. I'm really excited for the upcoming semester. I hope my students are as excited! I agree with Dr. Medulla - email the fellow and be honest in your aspirations. If you're not a traditional-path student, it may play in your favor. Good luck!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16689
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by JennyB » 25 Jul 2018, 10:32am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 7:41pm
eumaas wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 7:29pm
Hmm, according to their website you aren't supposed to contact any faculty. So I suppose I should refrain.
Well, how hoity-toity, dirty peasant of them. As a work-around, is there someone in Chapel Hill's philosophy department who will act as an intermediary for you to make initial inquiries?

(B just told me she gets emails from people in 3rd world countries looking for academic sponsorship to get out. They have no clue what she specializes in, they just say they want to study with her.)
It's amazing (well, not really, but interesting I guess) to see how similar this process is to grant writing.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jul 2018, 10:55am

JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:32am
It's amazing (well, not really, but interesting I guess) to see how similar this process is to grant writing.
It is entirely! B is regularly applying for grants (I say immodestly that she and her research partner have gotten around a quarter million, I think, in the past ten years). It's a real skill. But once you've cracked the code on how to write those things, you're gold. My first time out applying to grad schools, I went 0 for 8. I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't know how to craft a candidate's statement. But after working with a historian friend, I learned how to frame things and I've been accepted to every school I've applied to ever since. I showed a former student how to write a candidate's statement and he went four for five in his MA applications. By the same token, I haven't a fucking clue how to present myself in job applications and have a miserable track record on that front.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16689
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by JennyB » 25 Jul 2018, 11:01am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:55am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:32am
It's amazing (well, not really, but interesting I guess) to see how similar this process is to grant writing.
It is entirely! B is regularly applying for grants (I say immodestly that she and her research partner have gotten around a quarter million, I think, in the past ten years). It's a real skill. But once you've cracked the code on how to write those things, you're gold. My first time out applying to grad schools, I went 0 for 8. I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't know how to craft a candidate's statement. But after working with a historian friend, I learned how to frame things and I've been accepted to every school I've applied to ever since. I showed a former student how to write a candidate's statement and he went four for five in his MA applications. By the same token, I haven't a fucking clue how to present myself in job applications and have a miserable track record on that front.
Yep. It's just such a slog. I usually secure around $100,000 for my organization per year from foundations and corporations. It just used to be so much easier - you submitted your application and they either said yes or no. Now, you have to meet with them and kiss their butts. You have to go to their "grant announcement" ceremony which take two hours of your workday and are incredibly boring. You have to sit through lectures about how wonderful the person who started the foundation was (because I'm sure they started it out of the goodness of their own heart and not for the tax breaks). But the nice thing is that since I have done so many, there's a lot of cutting and pasting involved now. And don't get me started on budgets. Or follow up reports. What I have found the most interesting is that the smaller the grant, the more hoops you have to jump through. Do I sound cynical enough yet?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76384
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jul 2018, 11:13am

JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:55am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:32am
It's amazing (well, not really, but interesting I guess) to see how similar this process is to grant writing.
It is entirely! B is regularly applying for grants (I say immodestly that she and her research partner have gotten around a quarter million, I think, in the past ten years). It's a real skill. But once you've cracked the code on how to write those things, you're gold. My first time out applying to grad schools, I went 0 for 8. I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't know how to craft a candidate's statement. But after working with a historian friend, I learned how to frame things and I've been accepted to every school I've applied to ever since. I showed a former student how to write a candidate's statement and he went four for five in his MA applications. By the same token, I haven't a fucking clue how to present myself in job applications and have a miserable track record on that front.
Yep. It's just such a slog. I usually secure around $100,000 for my organization per year from foundations and corporations. It just used to be so much easier - you submitted your application and they either said yes or no. Now, you have to meet with them and kiss their butts. You have to go to their "grant announcement" ceremony which take two hours of your workday and are incredibly boring. You have to sit through lectures about how wonderful the person who started the foundation was (because I'm sure they started it out of the goodness of their own heart and not for the tax breaks). But the nice thing is that since I have done so many, there's a lot of cutting and pasting involved now. And don't get me started on budgets. Or follow up reports. What I have found the most interesting is that the smaller the grant, the more hoops you have to jump through. Do I sound cynical enough yet?
Not cynical, just clear-eyed. It's a circus and you either perform or you don't get your peanuts.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16689
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by JennyB » 25 Jul 2018, 11:16am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:13am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:55am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:32am
It's amazing (well, not really, but interesting I guess) to see how similar this process is to grant writing.
It is entirely! B is regularly applying for grants (I say immodestly that she and her research partner have gotten around a quarter million, I think, in the past ten years). It's a real skill. But once you've cracked the code on how to write those things, you're gold. My first time out applying to grad schools, I went 0 for 8. I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't know how to craft a candidate's statement. But after working with a historian friend, I learned how to frame things and I've been accepted to every school I've applied to ever since. I showed a former student how to write a candidate's statement and he went four for five in his MA applications. By the same token, I haven't a fucking clue how to present myself in job applications and have a miserable track record on that front.
Yep. It's just such a slog. I usually secure around $100,000 for my organization per year from foundations and corporations. It just used to be so much easier - you submitted your application and they either said yes or no. Now, you have to meet with them and kiss their butts. You have to go to their "grant announcement" ceremony which take two hours of your workday and are incredibly boring. You have to sit through lectures about how wonderful the person who started the foundation was (because I'm sure they started it out of the goodness of their own heart and not for the tax breaks). But the nice thing is that since I have done so many, there's a lot of cutting and pasting involved now. And don't get me started on budgets. Or follow up reports. What I have found the most interesting is that the smaller the grant, the more hoops you have to jump through. Do I sound cynical enough yet?
Not cynical, just clear-eyed. It's a circus and you either perform or you don't get your peanuts.
Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests