The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 6 Nominations

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 6 Nominations

Post by JennyB »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:49am
X Ray Spex - Identity

That was going to be my pick as well, so I am just going to second this nomination.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Bow Wow Wow - Elimination Dancing.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:26am
matedog wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:22am
Going for a long shot here, but I love Santigold too much not to nominate her and her biggest songs keep getting slightly edged out by other songs. I do still love this one:

Santigold - This Isn't Our Parade
I would have nominated Disparate Youth for track 2 if I'd thought of it. Tremendous song.
That one was superseded by Kelly Clarkson, just barely. No regrets. A lot of subsequent favorites are already barely superseded ("Perfect Life" for track 9 for example, "Lights Out" or "Riots Gone" for track 7).
I just skimmed her discography and she's a god damn treasure. I could put together a killer playlist of her best songs between her four albums and some soundtrack work. I also love that she decided to add dancehall to her already vast repertoire on her last album and it fucking kills.
Post that playlist if you ever get around to it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

gkbill wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 12:51pm
Hello,

Bow Wow Wow - Elimination Dancing.

I was going to nominate this.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

OK, since I technically haven't made a nomination and we watched the excellent GoGos doc over the weekend, here's mine (still voting for Identity though).
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 1:29pm
OK, since I technically haven't made a nomination and we watched the excellent GoGos doc over the weekend, here's mine (still voting for Identity though).
It was sad how cliched their career was—edgy, then success, addiction, bitterness over money and the spotlight, and break up. It was like they were working from a playbook on how to succeed and crap it away. I still love Jane and would run away with her.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 1:38pm
JennyB wrote:
It was sad how cliched their career was—edgy, then success, addiction, bitterness over money and the spotlight, and break up. It was like they were working from a playbook on how to succeed and crap it away. I still love Jane and would run away with her.
Yep. And add a dash of lead singer who gets all the attention puts out shitty solo music.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep. And add a dash of lead singer who gets all the attention puts out shitty solo music.
Leave a Light On is great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Don't forget when I got her to call you!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Hazel O'Connor - Will You?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 12:54pm
matedog wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:26am
matedog wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 9:22am
Going for a long shot here, but I love Santigold too much not to nominate her and her biggest songs keep getting slightly edged out by other songs. I do still love this one:

Santigold - This Isn't Our Parade
I would have nominated Disparate Youth for track 2 if I'd thought of it. Tremendous song.
That one was superseded by Kelly Clarkson, just barely. No regrets. A lot of subsequent favorites are already barely superseded ("Perfect Life" for track 9 for example, "Lights Out" or "Riots Gone" for track 7).
I just skimmed her discography and she's a god damn treasure. I could put together a killer playlist of her best songs between her four albums and some soundtrack work. I also love that she decided to add dancehall to her already vast repertoire on her last album and it fucking kills.
Post that playlist if you ever get around to it.
Let me know what you think:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Don't forget when I got her to call you!
My marriage might have ended …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 2:13pm
Hazel O'Connor - Will You?

Yeah I'm backing this great song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Agreed, tho "Heaven is a Place on Earth" was totally redeemed by its use in an episode of Black Mirror.