33%

Total votes: 21

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 2 Vote - Round 2

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 12:02pm
Again, I voted Breeders, but it would say a lot for Abba if a board comprised of 70s punk fans voted them one of the best tracks.
Ive actually long thought of this place as basically a 70s top of the pops board that has some affinity for a few punk groups, so I don't think it'd be that telling, necessarily.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:39am
Silent Majority wrote:
Again, I voted Breeders, but it would say a lot for Abba if a board comprised of 70s punk fans voted them one of the best tracks.
Ive actually long thought of this place as basically a 70s top of the pops board that has some affinity for a few punk groups, so I don't think it'd be that telling, necessarily.
Really? Outside of the core aging Limey posters, I've never gotten a 70s TotP vibe. The tastes generally don't skew to more extreme music, definitely, but I've never thought of this place as dominated by 70s pop fans either.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:45am
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Really? Outside of the core aging Limey posters, I've never gotten a 70s TotP vibe. The tastes generally don't skew to more extreme music, definitely, but I've never thought of this place as dominated by 70s pop fans either.
I guess I don't really know what all was on top of the pops, but I sure don't think of this as a punk forum.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

The slightly less dickish sounding way for me to put it, I guess, is just that this board's tastes have always been so (delightfully) heterodox that I never really thought of it as a "70s punk board" or anything (and even really only nominally a Clash board), which is great but I also don't think really says much about a lot of people like ABBA (or anything else, necessarily).

I'll just be more surprised if, like, a non-70s punk song (or even a 70s punk song from outside the titans of that era) ever beat out a pop song in a poll on here or something.
Last edited by Flex on 11 Jul 2020, 10:07am, edited 2 times in total.

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
:lol:

The irony being the Clash refused to go on top of the pops.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:30am
Don’t get me wrong, the ABBA song is great, but I just relistenednto Cannonball and it just such a complete song. It has hooks for says (as does DQ of course) but also has a garagey rock aesthetic that is more my thing than the sterile neutered 70s ABBA sound whose sole strength is great melodies. Plus Cannonball has some fun percussion stuff that I forgot about and that distorted whistle - minor stuff but it elevates a song already made great by great verse and chorus melodies. And that shouty distorted prechorus.

It’s also the soundtrack to that State pants sketch.
I'm not having anyone knock the production on DQ, it is spectacular! Those strings, that bass, those shimmering vocals...
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 9:25am
revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 8:58am
So the question becomes how will the other 1/3rd vote in a run off between Cannonball and Dancing Queen...

I know where I lean.
Yup. Assuming everyone who voted this round votes in the next—and no new ones arise in the next ten hours—it's about winning over those six people. Given that you and, I assume, Flex switch to The Breeders, you need one to get to a tiebreaker and then persuade me (and I can see a strong case for either)
I so hope this happens.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:03am
The slightly less dickish sounding way for me to put it, I guess, is just that this board's tastes have always been so (delightfully) heterodox that I never really thought of it as a "70s punk board" or anything (and even really only nominally a Clash board), which is great but I also don't think really says much about a lot of people like ABBA (or anything else, necessarily).
Maybe at one time this (or its earlier incarnations) was a 70 punk forum, but it's become more of a crude Spotify algorithm—if you like the Clash, you might also like ______. It speaks to, I suppose, the ability of the Clash to attract diverse fans.
I'll just be more surprised if, like, a non-70s punk song (or even a 70s punk song from outside the titans of that era) ever beat out a pop song in a poll on here or something.
You're ignoring all the polls that Heston has lost. :shifty:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
So the question becomes how will the other 1/3rd vote in a run off between Cannonball and Dancing Queen...

I know where I lean.
Yup. Assuming everyone who voted this round votes in the next—and no new ones arise in the next ten hours—it's about winning over those six people. Given that you and, I assume, Flex switch to The Breeders, you need one to get to a tiebreaker and then persuade me (and I can see a strong case for either)
I so hope this happens.
I should say that if this happens, I'll try not to just go with my preference (tho I won't say that my preference will play no part). I figure I'll give people 24 hours to make their arguments about the superiority of their choice and weigh them all and then decide. Basically the same thing I say to students who want a grade alteration—make the case. Some succeed, some don't.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:36am
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I know where I lean.
I so hope this happens.
I should say that if this happens, I'll try not to just go with my preference (tho I won't say that my preference will play no part). I figure I'll give people 24 hours to make their arguments about the superiority of their choice and weigh them all and then decide. Basically the same thing I say to students who want a grade alteration—make the case. Some succeed, some don't.
I'd say throw a coin to make life easier for you, but you're the boss.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:03am

Yeah when I first joined I thought the board had more punky inclinations, maybe that's just nostalgia but we've lost a good few people over the years.

In the end its a place that equally frustrates and delights which ultimately I like.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 11:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 10:36am
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I know where I lean.
I so hope this happens.
I'd say throw a coin to make life easier for you, but you're the boss.
Two aspects to my personality: I hate random chance and I need to be persuaded in my beliefs. I couldn't do this any other way without having a mental breakdown and murdering people in the street.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 11:27am
Yeah when I first joined I thought the board had more punky inclinations, maybe that's just nostalgia but we've lost a good few people over the years.

In the end its a place that equally frustrates and delights which ultimately I like.
Starting to think that spending decades on a web forum like a huge dork may not be very punk rock :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
We all miss Steve, but he's doing what he thinks is best, leading President Trump's border militia.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 1:01pm
revbob wrote:
We all miss Steve, but he's doing what he thinks is best, leading President Trump's border militia.
And hoarding Pogues rarities.