Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:32pm
Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:24pm

Doc, were you telling me about these guys, Candy Claws? I have them on my list but I can't remember where I first heard about them.
I don't think it was me, but I did download something by them. I may have said that someone recommended them?
It's kind of interesting, a little low on dynamics but it sounds like it might be good in headphones, or as a chill Sunday morning-type album.
I'll make a point of listening tomorrow.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 1:52pm
Pretty good. Also I guess I shouldn't feel bad that most of my new songs are coming out this long.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Pretty good. Also I guess I shouldn't feel bad that most of my new songs are coming out this long.
I once witnessed the prof who inspired me talking to another student.

Student: How long should my paper be?
The prof: How long should a man's foot be?
Student: ??????

I laughed at both the somewhat dickish reply, but also the basic truth that a paper is as long as it needs to be to make the argument.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 8:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I laughed at both the somewhat dickish reply, but also the basic truth that a paper is as long as it needs to be to make the argument.
Yeah that's my instinct too, I just know how low attention spans are these days.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah that's my instinct too, I just know how low attention spans are these days.
Enh—your audience is the people who are interested in what you're doing.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 9:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I suppose it's not as stressful worrying about the length of a song nobody will hear :lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 1:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah I suppose it's not as stressful worrying about the length of a song nobody will hear :lol:
I'm probably most demanding when I'm writing stuff that is almost certainly exclusively for myself. Worst critic and all that stuff, knowing my habit of looking back and seeing only flaws.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 2:08pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm probably most demanding when I'm writing stuff that is almost certainly exclusively for myself. Worst critic and all that stuff, knowing my habit of looking back and seeing only flaws.
I'm the same. I also fall into the terrible trap of comparing myself to people I admire. I know my stuff will never touch 1/32 of the greatness of Magazine or Portishead or Joy Division but I can't help thinking what's the point if not?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm the same. I also fall into the terrible trap of comparing myself to people I admire. I know my stuff will never touch 1/32 of the greatness of Magazine or Portishead or Joy Division but I can't help thinking what's the point if not?
I'm basically the same when it comes to writing. I look at my ideas and interests and think that it's (a) of minimal interest to others and (b) those others do it better. So, lots of research and rough writing that I know I'm not going to do anything with.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 3:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm basically the same when it comes to writing. I look at my ideas and interests and think that it's (a) of minimal interest to others and (b) those others do it better. So, lots of research and rough writing that I know I'm not going to do anything with.
I guess we should start a club.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 3:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I guess we should start a club.
The Why Try Club!