Dexys - new release

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Dexys - new release

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Laxman, I have had the Live At The Duke Of York Theatre album on heavy rotation it is brilliant especially the second CD.
Agreed! The film was on BBC4 last Friday. I hope that gave the sales a boost.
Thanks for this. Just caught up on the iPlayer and found it thoroughly absorbing. Rowland's honesty and passion shone through the entire 90 minutes. Voice does sound a bit ropey on some of the songs, I thought, but the songs, old and new, are more than robust enough to carry it. I'm Thinking of You is another epic to add to a back catalogue stuffed with them.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Anyone remember the name of that song or the band that Rowland pinched Come On Eileen From??

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:Anyone remember the name of that song or the band that Rowland pinched Come On Eileen From??
Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - "A Man Like Me"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Anyone remember the name of that song or the band that Rowland pinched Come On Eileen From??
Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - "A Man Like Me"
That's not the one I meant but you are right.
After he left DMR Kevin Archer and Blue Ox Babes did a demo that Rowland heard then used to write Eileen. I think it was What Does Anybody Think About but can't find a version of it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

https://myspace.com/theblueoxbabes/musi ... 2-57347952

I don't know the full story, but Come on Eileen, by Rowland's own admission, is more or less a compendium of several songs he was listening to at the time with a few original bits thrown in. Bit of a mash up I suppose. One of them 'Concrete and Clay' is included on the covers album My Beauty. What strikes me more listening to the Blue Ox Babes is how easily you could convince yourself that it is actually Rowland on vocals.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I dont know if that's the original demo version btw that Rowland took from, but it's the only one I've heard.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Archer claims that Rowland pinched the song as well as the whole DMR 2 sound and style. Rowland later admitted as much. I have heard an Archer version of the song which is clearly an early version of Eileen but that isn't it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:Archer claims that Rowland pinched the song as well as the whole DMR 2 sound and style. Rowland later admitted as much. I have heard an Archer version of the song which is clearly an early version of Eileen but that isn't it.
Ah yeah sorry, i realised it wasn't the early demo version you were talking about, which i've never heard, but I can hear the similarities on that version too which is why I put it up there. Would like to hear it too now that you've mentioned it. I certainly think, though, that Rowland, while admitting a debt, would contest the claim that the whole Too Rye Ay sound was lifted from Archer?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Archer claims that Rowland pinched the song as well as the whole DMR 2 sound and style. Rowland later admitted as much. I have heard an Archer version of the song which is clearly an early version of Eileen but that isn't it.
Ah yeah sorry, i realised it wasn't the early demo version you were talking about, which i've never heard, but I can hear the similarities on that version too which is why I put it up there. Would like to hear it too now that you've mentioned it. I certainly think, though, that Rowland, while admitting a debt, would contest the claim that the whole Too Rye Ay sound was lifted from Archer?
Rowland also took band members! From Archers project!!
I'm sure the demo is iin a documentary that was made about DMR. I will try and find it on YouTube.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I'm sure the demo is iin a documentary that was made about DMR. I will try and find it on YouTube.
Thanks, would appreciate that. To be honest, I've always despised Come on Eileen as a song, but Too Rye Ay is one of my all-time favourite albums. The history of DMR at that time is complex and very murky, something I wish I knew more about!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Laxman, I have had the Live At The Duke Of York Theatre album on heavy rotation it is brilliant especially the second CD.
Thanks for this. Just caught up on the iPlayer and found it thoroughly absorbing. Rowland's honesty and passion shone through the entire 90 minutes. Voice does sound a bit ropey on some of the songs, I thought, but the songs, old and new, are more than robust enough to carry it. I'm Thinking of You is another epic to add to a back catalogue stuffed with them.
Apologies, I somehow missed this post. The version of This Is What She's Like is amazing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:https://myspace.com/theblueoxbabes/musi ... 2-57347952

I don't know the full story, but Come on Eileen, by Rowland's own admission, is more or less a compendium of several songs he was listening to at the time with a few original bits thrown in. Bit of a mash up I suppose. One of them 'Concrete and Clay' is included on the covers album My Beauty. What strikes me more listening to the Blue Ox Babes is how easily you could convince yourself that it is actually Rowland on vocals.
Unit 4 plus 2 Concrete and Clay. It's a great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
This section of the documentary mentions the theft.
[youtube][/youtube]

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
Apologies, I somehow missed this post. The version of This Is What She's Like is amazing.
No worries. I particularly love Kevin's ad-libbed "Funny the things you get worked up about in the 80s" after the people who put creases in their old levis line. Seems a much better guy since he developed a sense of humour!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
This section of the documentary mentions the theft.
[youtube][/youtube]
Had a watch of that after 101 mentioned it. Have to say it does look bad enough for Rowland there and he does appear a bit sheepish himself, but then I had another dig around and came across this interview from Andy Leek which puts it in a better light I think. From around 28.40 is the relevant bit.