The Vinyl Thread

General music discussion.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

The Vinyl Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 06 Jun 2014, 9:54pm

With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:
I dug these two out to give them another go as I think both only had one listen each first time round:

Image

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by biopunk » 06 Jun 2014, 11:06pm

101Walterton wrote:With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.
Looking forward to this thread!

I remember a real synthy sax sound on that one. Sax and synth music generally gets binned by me pretty quick, so I have little recall of that album.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31915
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by tepista » 06 Jun 2014, 11:33pm

I need to buy a new belt
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4211
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 06 Jun 2014, 11:43pm

tepista wrote:I need to buy a new belt
Why, been losing weight?



OK, where's me hat and coat...

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31915
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by tepista » 07 Jun 2014, 12:15am

muppet hi fi wrote:
tepista wrote:I need to buy a new belt
Why, been losing weight?



OK, where's me hat and coat...
The last song I played on my turntable was "Union City Blue" by Blondie, but it was so slow it sounded like "I Got the Union City Blues" by Blond Harry Deborah.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4211
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 07 Jun 2014, 12:22am

tepista wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
tepista wrote:I need to buy a new belt
Why, been losing weight?



OK, where's me hat and coat...
The last song I played on my turntable was "Union City Blue" by Blondie, but it was so slow it sounded like "I Got the Union City Blues" by Blond Harry Deborah.
Union City Blue is gorgeous song.
Haven't had a turntable for 15 years or so, and don't miss having to get new belts, stylus's, messing with the laser RPM thing. Sacrificed superior sound and, as SM poetically put it, ceremony for cheap and easy (CD). Oh well, I'm a lazy dope.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1428
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by laxman » 07 Jun 2014, 3:08am

101Walterton wrote:With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:
I dug these two out to give them another go as I think both only had one listen each first time round:

Image

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.

Got them both, but on CD. I only got the Ruts DC one relatively recently (and hadn't heard it before then). I like it and I've played it quite a lot; give it another go! I bet the Dexys album took a few plays before you liked it.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 07 Jun 2014, 3:15am

I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 07 Jun 2014, 3:27am

Other LPs I don't have on CD that I have enjoyed:
Armed Forces Elvis Costello
Sound Affects The Jam

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1346
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by dave202 » 07 Jun 2014, 10:21am

101Walterton wrote:I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).
I have never heard that Dexys record. Is it worth trying to find?

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1428
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by laxman » 07 Jun 2014, 12:51pm

dave202 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:I bought the dexy's album when it was released and listened to it once. I bought a Dexy's Best Of CD a few years back and loved National Pride which was why I was keen to give the LP another go. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew and loved it from first playing ( second time around).
I have never heard that Dexys record. Is it worth trying to find?
Definitely.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14843
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Sign Of The Times

Post by 101Walterton » 08 Jun 2014, 4:23pm

Found the Belle Stars LP but I digress.
I was listening to More Specials yesterday with 25.25W. He is 11 and thinks swearing in songs is hilarious which is probably why he listens to Ed Sherrin just for the "up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator" line. When Little Rich Girl (one of my favourite and very underrated Specials songs) came on. I was waiting for the "it's all a load of bollocks, its all a load of bollocks, its all a load of bollocks and bollocks to it all" but it went completely over his head. Bollocks is no longer a swear word in an 11 year olds vocabulary.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35480
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 08 Jun 2014, 7:29pm

laxman wrote:
101Walterton wrote:With my new turntable I am on a mission of rediscovery of my love of vinyl. I have dusted off the old collection and spent the week working my way through. I forgot how different a listening experience was with vinyl as opposed to a stack of CD's or ipod etc.. I thought I had re purchased on CD all of the good stuff in my collection but far from it :approve:
I dug these two out to give them another go as I think both only had one listen each first time round:

Image

Still not sure about the Ruts DC album (which also now sounds dated) but that Dexy's album is an absolute gem and is on heavy rotation after 30 years of being ignored.

Got them both, but on CD. I only got the Ruts DC one relatively recently (and hadn't heard it before then). I like it and I've played it quite a lot; give it another go! I bet the Dexys album took a few plays before you liked it.
I'm with this guy.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35480
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 08 Jun 2014, 7:36pm

tepista wrote:I need to buy a new belt
Image

Yo! tep rush the show!
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35480
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Vinyl Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 14 Apr 2017, 10:59pm

Come on 101 you must've bought more vinyl since your last post. ;)
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest