The Screaming Blue Messiahs

General music discussion.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 03 Jan 2014, 11:57pm

Was just checking Marky and Doc chatting about them on another thread, and since they're probably one of my top 5 bands ever, thought, hell with it - start a thread.

First off: Marky can you tell me what you've got on your rarities comp?

Maybe you've already got this stuff, but (in addition to official albums) I've got:
'Good and Gone' EP, Directors Cut (sent to me by Kenny Harris, the Messiahs' drummer a couple years ago). It's the original EP (needle-drop) with the other five songs recorded at the sessions (perfect sound, all produced by Vic Maile).

December 7, 1989, Zurich (also sent by Kenny), an official live boot. Great extended versions of most of 'Totally Religous', great sound.

The 1988 Town & Country gig (pro recording, official archival release, long out of print, pretty rare) from the 'Bikini Red' tour.

If you want any of these, you (or Heston or whoever) might need to instruct my dumb ass about Dropbox or uploading or whatever, or else I can just go old school and send CD-Rs across the pond (I owe ya mate).

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Jan 2014, 12:48am

muppet hi fi wrote:Was just checking Marky and Doc chatting about them on another thread, and since they're probably one of my top 5 bands ever, thought, hell with it - start a thread.

First off: Marky can you tell me what you've got on your rarities comp?

Maybe you've already got this stuff, but (in addition to official albums) I've got:
'Good and Gone' EP, Directors Cut (sent to me by Kenny Harris, the Messiahs' drummer a couple years ago). It's the original EP (needle-drop) with the other five songs recorded at the sessions (perfect sound, all produced by Vic Maile).

December 7, 1989, Zurich (also sent by Kenny), an official live boot. Great extended versions of most of 'Totally Religous', great sound.

The 1988 Town & Country gig (pro recording, official archival release, long out of print, pretty rare) from the 'Bikini Red' tour.

If you want any of these, you (or Heston or whoever) might need to instruct my dumb ass about Dropbox or uploading or whatever, or else I can just go old school and send CD-Rs across the pond (I owe ya mate).
Oh hell yeah I would love that Directors cut with the extra tracks mate. I can't remember if I have the T&C gig but I will check as I'm at that one. The Zurich one I have and Paradise Club Boston. When I get home I will make a list of what I have.

I have all the 7's 12''s albums etc. The pre Messiahs Motor Boy Motor album and single.

From memory what's on my comp.

The Power Glide (B-side) instrumental version of Let's Go Down To The Woods
I'm Mad Again (B-side) John Lee Hooker cover
I Wanna Be A Flintstone 12'' extended Mix
Jerry's Electric Church (B-side)
I Can Speak American 12'' extended remix
Let's Go Down To The Woods (Whistle Test '84)
Good and Gone (Whistle Test '84)
Sweet Water Pools (Night Network)
Jesus Chrysler Drives A Dodge (Night Network)
Killer Born Man (Australian tour '86)
I Wanna Be A Flintstone (Live No. 73 kids tv show)
Accident Prone/Let's Go Down To The Woods/Here Come the Flintstones (medley) (Live)
President Kennedy's Mile (Live Boston)

Their maybe another track but I can't remember as I'm at work and don't have access.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 04 Jan 2014, 1:38am

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Was just checking Marky and Doc chatting about them on another thread, and since they're probably one of my top 5 bands ever, thought, hell with it - start a thread.

First off: Marky can you tell me what you've got on your rarities comp?

Maybe you've already got this stuff, but (in addition to official albums) I've got:
'Good and Gone' EP, Directors Cut (sent to me by Kenny Harris, the Messiahs' drummer a couple years ago). It's the original EP (needle-drop) with the other five songs recorded at the sessions (perfect sound, all produced by Vic Maile).

December 7, 1989, Zurich (also sent by Kenny), an official live boot. Great extended versions of most of 'Totally Religous', great sound.

The 1988 Town & Country gig (pro recording, official archival release, long out of print, pretty rare) from the 'Bikini Red' tour.

If you want any of these, you (or Heston or whoever) might need to instruct my dumb ass about Dropbox or uploading or whatever, or else I can just go old school and send CD-Rs across the pond (I owe ya mate).
Oh hell yeah I would love that Directors cut with the extra tracks mate. I can't remember if I have the T&C gig but I will check as I'm at that one. The Zurich one I have and Paradise Club Boston. When I get home I will make a list of what I have.

I have all the 7's 12''s albums etc. The pre Messiahs Motor Boy Motor album and single.

From memory what's on my comp.

The Power Glide (B-side) instrumental version of Let's Go Down To The Woods
I'm Mad Again (B-side) John Lee Hooker cover
I Wanna Be A Flintstone 12'' extended Mix
Jerry's Electric Church (B-side)
I Can Speak American 12'' extended remix
Let's Go Down To The Woods (Whistle Test '84)
Good and Gone (Whistle Test '84)
Sweet Water Pools (Night Network)
Jesus Chrysler Drives A Dodge (Night Network)
Killer Born Man (Australian tour '86)
I Wanna Be A Flintstone (Live No. 73 kids tv show)
Accident Prone/Let's Go Down To The Woods/Here Come the Flintstones (medley) (Live)
President Kennedy's Mile (Live Boston)

Their maybe another track but I can't remember as I'm at work and don't have access.
I've a few of those, heard some others, ripped a few from YouTube; several never heard: I'm Mad Again, Jerry's Electric Church (studio), 12" I Can Speal American. Sounds ace.
Do you not have the 12" Twin Cadillac Valentine?
A side: 1. Twin Caddy (album version)
2. Good and Gone*
3.Growing For Gold*
B side: 1. You're Gonna Change*
2. Someone to Talk To*
3. Happy Home*
*recorded live at U.L.U., London
I've doubles of it on vinyl if you want one. Check PMs.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Jan 2014, 1:59am

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Was just checking Marky and Doc chatting about them on another thread, and since they're probably one of my top 5 bands ever, thought, hell with it - start a thread.

First off: Marky can you tell me what you've got on your rarities comp?

Maybe you've already got this stuff, but (in addition to official albums) I've got:
'Good and Gone' EP, Directors Cut (sent to me by Kenny Harris, the Messiahs' drummer a couple years ago). It's the original EP (needle-drop) with the other five songs recorded at the sessions (perfect sound, all produced by Vic Maile).

December 7, 1989, Zurich (also sent by Kenny), an official live boot. Great extended versions of most of 'Totally Religous', great sound.

The 1988 Town & Country gig (pro recording, official archival release, long out of print, pretty rare) from the 'Bikini Red' tour.

If you want any of these, you (or Heston or whoever) might need to instruct my dumb ass about Dropbox or uploading or whatever, or else I can just go old school and send CD-Rs across the pond (I owe ya mate).
Oh hell yeah I would love that Directors cut with the extra tracks mate. I can't remember if I have the T&C gig but I will check as I'm at that one. The Zurich one I have and Paradise Club Boston. When I get home I will make a list of what I have.

I have all the 7's 12''s albums etc. The pre Messiahs Motor Boy Motor album and single.

From memory what's on my comp.

The Power Glide (B-side) instrumental version of Let's Go Down To The Woods
I'm Mad Again (B-side) John Lee Hooker cover
I Wanna Be A Flintstone 12'' extended Mix
Jerry's Electric Church (B-side)
I Can Speak American 12'' extended remix
Let's Go Down To The Woods (Whistle Test '84)
Good and Gone (Whistle Test '84)
Sweet Water Pools (Night Network)
Jesus Chrysler Drives A Dodge (Night Network)
Killer Born Man (Australian tour '86)
I Wanna Be A Flintstone (Live No. 73 kids tv show)
Accident Prone/Let's Go Down To The Woods/Here Come the Flintstones (medley) (Live)
President Kennedy's Mile (Live Boston)

Their maybe another track but I can't remember as I'm at work and don't have access.
I've a few of those, heard some others, ripped a few from YouTube; several never heard: I'm Mad Again, Jerry's Electric Church (studio), 12" I Can Speal American. Sounds ace.
Do you not have the 12" Twin Cadillac Valentine?
A side: 1. Twin Caddy (album version)
2. Good and Gone*
3.Growing For Gold*
B side: 1. You're Gonna Change*
2. Someone to Talk To*
3. Happy Home*
*recorded live at U.L.U., London
I've doubles of it on vinyl if you want one. Check PMs.
I too have more than 1 copy of that 12'' the reason I did not include those live ULU tracks (another gig I attended) was when I first thought of the comp it was mainly with Dr. M in mind. I made a previous comp with those tracks which I uploaded to my old blog "King rocker rocks on". I knew the Doc would already have taken them from there.

I will probably make another comp with just all the A's & B's on. The only thing I don't have is the promo 7'' of Flintstone which according to the sleeve has an alt. version called "Little Baby Flintstone". All the discographies and various sites claim it's the same version as the 7'' but the sleeve states a completely different run time. I have a different promo of that 7'' with a hand stamped Fred Flintstone on it which I need to dig out and check.

The A-side says 2:30
The B-side states 3:07
http://www.45cat.com/record/769433
Also the standard 12'' Flintstone is called the extended mix. While the 12'' pic disc is called The Bedrock mix so I need to check if they are the same.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 04 Jan 2014, 3:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 04 Jan 2014, 2:11am

Gotcha. And I'm guessing you're already hip to their (unofficial, I think) website.
http://www.grantlouden.com/sbmhome.htm
Not a lot of activity obviously, but Grant seems a good resource for rare stuff.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Jan 2014, 2:37am

muppet hi fi wrote:Gotcha. And I'm guessing you're already hip to their (unofficial, I think) website.
http://www.grantlouden.com/sbmhome.htm
Not a lot of activity obviously, but Grant seems a good resource for rare stuff.
Yes I have emailed Grant a few times in the past. A nice guy and a nice site.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Jan 2014, 4:01am

Live stuff I have :

The Mean Fiddler, London 2-9-88
The Subterania, London 5-6-90
The Paradise Club, Boston 6-4-88
Rote Fabrik, Zurich, Switzerland 7-12-89
BBC Radio 1 live in concert Town & Country Club 27-02-88 (official release)
John Peel session 24-7-84
Live at the BBC (in concert) 30-5-85 /Andy Kershaw session 14-6-85 / Janice Long session 4-11-87

One I'm trying to find which I had and was working on before my hard drive crashed last year : Screaming Blue Messiahs Live in The Club LVC Town Leiden - holland 1985.

Plus all the official vinyl and CD's releases.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 23 May 2014, 7:42pm

Bumping this up so anyone who might want to see/hear what an enormous band this was might do. My Top 5:
[youtube]
[/youtube]

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 23 May 2014, 7:50pm

[youtube]
[/youtube]

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 23 May 2014, 8:56pm

'K, never mind my top 5; just going to go with whatever's on YouTube. The quality is about as uniformly strong as Otis Redding (anybody wanna have an argument about the Big O? :kiss: ).
OK, let's throw down.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 23 May 2014, 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by Marky Dread » 23 May 2014, 8:58pm

muppet hi fi wrote:'K, never mind my top 5; just going to go with whatever's on YouTube. The quality is about as uniformly strong as Otis Redding (anybody wanna have an argument about the Big O? :kiss: ).
OK, let's throw down.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Cool as fuck.
Image
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by muppet hi fi » 23 May 2014, 9:49pm

Bill Carter said this song was written about hearing the news, while in Italy, that his mother had died. Definitely a strange reaction to mourning...
[youtube]
[/youtube]

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1120
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by gkbill » 23 May 2014, 11:26pm

Hello,

For what it's worth, Marky's compilation is great! If you have a good live set, I'd appreciate a copy.

Do you have any stuff from the Killer B's? Love is a Cadillac Death is a Ford - any good?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1345
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by dave202 » 24 May 2014, 11:37am

gkbill wrote:Hello,

For what it's worth, Marky's compilation is great! If you have a good live set, I'd appreciate a copy.

Do you have any stuff from the Killer B's? Love is a Cadillac Death is a Ford - any good?
I'm totally ignorant here. There might be reasons for missing some bands, but I'd appreciate a catch up if possible. Can someone pm me this compilation?

hairydot61
Corner Soul
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 5:23pm

Re: The Screaming Blue Messiahs

Post by hairydot61 » 04 Aug 2016, 6:50pm

Hi, interesting thread here, I'm aware of a lot of the tracks and mixies you are chatting about, I probably digitalised from tape most of the ones you have, Kenny gave me a tape of the Good and gone session with the extra 5 tracks and I sent him a CD with those tracks digitalised, also the Paradise club, Boston which is a great show, great track listing, ....you may be aware of a 5 CD box set being released on Easy Action records later this month, it looks pretty amazing, all the records are supposed to have been remasterd and slighty expanded, it's on Amazon too, you may have seen some of the videos I'v put up on Youtube, have just put up I'm Mad Again, The Messiahs doing a John Lee Hooker cover, theres a couple of extended mixes of Sweet Water pools and a (tried to) Dub mix of Killer born man, appreciate some feedback if you take a look, cheers

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests