The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I was at a lot of the Albany NY shows through the 80's. Being so close to NY, they were really fun as they felt like a home game with a lot of NYC people. The Scotia NY show was at Allen's, a former bowling alley. They just laid planking over the gutters - you could still see the lanes as you stood around on them. They had a big sign hanging saying "No slam dancing - pogo okay" or something along those lines. I took a friend to one of the Albany shows at J.B.Scott's on Central Ave. After the show, he liked it and asked me if that was one of their good shows. I took the belt out of my jeans and held it up. There was sweat dripping off the soaked belt onto the sidewalk. Great shows.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The 1993 Desperado's show was listed as 18+ (I was 17), but the DAY OF they made it all ages. My friends and I didn't find that out until the next monday at school.There was no way we were driving out to North Charleston to try to get into that one if it was 18+, because Desperado's was a shitty redneck bar with shitty redneck bouncers.

I honestly can't believe they never played The Music Farm in Charleston. That was the mid-sized venue that bands like that usually played.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Mar 8: San Francisco, USA

At The Warfield. I was in the front row, right in front of Joey. Surprised that my ribs aren't still bruised. BTW, Frank Black opened.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I was at this Lyceum gig.

This is cool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Part of the "problem" (in the intellectual sense) with punk is that it it's fundamentally a form of folk music: an emphasis on the authentic, a high priority on intent, a suspicion if not hostility with commerciality, championing of the underclass, and minimizing of the distance (physical and ideological) between performer and audience. But it runs into the problem as any other form of recorded music: it's commodified. It's all for sale and there's no censoring of who gets to buy or listen to it. The vast majority of performers understand the latter and have no real problem because they're in it to be heard. The issue is with the fans—i.e., the stereotypical "real fans"—who tend to take things so much more seriously, to seek greater ideological purity. Think Dylan's "Judas!" moment. It seems a better approach for fans is to realize that there is no purity and to treat the music as a virus. Who knows what happens when it gets out there. In all likelihood nothing, certainly nothing directly observable, but it's better to "go thru" capitalism in a clever way than to futilely resist.
Fucking hell does it really need all that analysis? Music is fun it's there to be enjoyed if it inspires then all well and good if it just makes you feel better then great. It can be thought provoking or it can be just music for elevators either way it's just entertainment.

The name of the thread is "The Ramones song you're thinking about right now" one of the most basic forms of music there is and also one of the most fun ever to listen to.
I think those are some complicated pressures on creative types that are worth talking and thinking about.
I agree but I don't think it's really relevant to The Ramones. They always struck me as a band who enjoyed doing what they did and cared little if anyone liked them or not. They knew what they were good at and stuck to their guns.
I think they wanted to be the biggest band on the planet and got bitter and twisted when they had to essentially invent a new model for other independent minded folks to follow. Swallow My Pride is just one song Joey wrote on the topic.
"Swallow My Pride," was a piece written solely by lead singer Joey Ramone, who states that the concept deals with their record company Sire Records; Tommy used the expression "you gotta swallow your pride" when signing to their record company.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Fucking hell does it really need all that analysis? Music is fun it's there to be enjoyed if it inspires then all well and good if it just makes you feel better then great. It can be thought provoking or it can be just music for elevators either way it's just entertainment.

The name of the thread is "The Ramones song you're thinking about right now" one of the most basic forms of music there is and also one of the most fun ever to listen to.
I think those are some complicated pressures on creative types that are worth talking and thinking about.
I agree but I don't think it's really relevant to The Ramones. They always struck me as a band who enjoyed doing what they did and cared little if anyone liked them or not. They knew what they were good at and stuck to their guns.
I think they wanted to be the biggest band on the planet and got bitter and twisted when they had to essentially invent a new model for other independent minded folks to follow. Swallow My Pride is just one song Joey wrote on the topic.
"Swallow My Pride," was a piece written solely by lead singer Joey Ramone, who states that the concept deals with their record company Sire Records; Tommy used the expression "you gotta swallow your pride" when signing to their record company.
Marky wrote : The big punk bands all had some chart success and saw it as an evil necessity to get the message across to a wider audience.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I've lived right around the corner from there since 1988

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

We Want the Airwaves.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:

The original's got a bit more oomph to it —

Heston

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
Heston wrote:

Oh yeah, I like that version too, definitely better produced. The Ramones version just edges it for me cos of the frailty of Joey's vocal.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

53rd & 3rd. I was strumming it on the acoustic today and the minimal changes are absolute genius. Perfectly placed.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
Heston wrote:

Inder old pal, this is the original version. Two members of The Poppees Bobby Waxman and Paddy went on to form The Boyfriends. Bobby wrote "I Need Your Love".

The Boyfriends supported The Ramones and they obviously liked the tune to later cover it.

I always thought it would've been cool if The Boyfriends had covered The Ramones "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend". They did have a song called "Boyfriend" which has the chorus "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend", nice powerpop tune.

http://www.kbdrecords.com/wp-content/up ... 982-uk.mp3

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:
Heston wrote:

Inder old pal, this is the original version. Two members of The Poppees Bobby Waxman and Paddy went on to form The Boyfriends. Bobby wrote "I Need Your Love".
That is my new favourite version, digging that to fuck.