Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ramones song you're thinking about right now

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 8:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 8:52pm

This is an example of a cover that sounds like it should be the original and the original a cover (e.g., Wire & R.E.M., "Strange").
I want more from the vocal, but that's cool.
Her style on all Postmarks records is understated, presumably to suggest a kind of 1960s continental cool.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:06pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This is an example of a cover that sounds like it should be the original and the original a cover (e.g., Wire & R.E.M., "Strange").
Her style on all Postmarks records is understated, presumably to suggest a kind of 1960s continental cool.
Very nice. Kinda takes the song back to the Shangri-La's and other 60's girls bands. I'm sure Joey would approve of that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 9:06pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think the more suitable style for it would be super emotional soulful belting, like Darlene Love or Ronnie Spector would do.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wow, their really fucked this one up. End of the century third worst? Leave Home not #1? Madness.

I was just listening to adios amigos and mondo bizarro yesterday. I'd challenge a random person to find a major difference in quality between those albums and most of the rest of the Ramones output.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 8:26am
Wow, their really fucked this one up. End of the century third worst? Leave Home not #1? Madness.

I was just listening to adios amigos and mondo bizarro yesterday. I'd challenge a random person to find a major difference in quality between those albums and most of the rest of the Ramones output.
I kinda wonder if there is now, however unconsciously, an inclination to downgrade any record associated with Phil Spector.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My biggest gripes with this list are that Jungle and Mondo are ranked too high and Century and Dreams are ranked too low. Also, no way Brain Drain is #7. I rate it a notch higher than Acid Eaters as their worst. Glad to see Halfway getting a little love. It's underrated. Also, Rocket is slightly better than their debut and I'm okay with Leave Home at #3.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
07 Apr 2023, 8:26am
Floy.

Also "She's a Sensation" and "Return of Jackie and Judy" are great.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Haven't spent too much time with their 80s output, but god damn they still had random ass deep cuts with terrific hooks:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.