I Don't Care How Uncool it Sounds...

General music discussion.
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

I Don't Care How Uncool it Sounds...

Post by IkarisOne »

[youtube][/youtube]

Back in the day (meaning from 1980 to 1982/3), U2 were the best band in the world. They broke my heart, but who hasn't?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: I Don't Care How Uncool it Sounds...

Post by Kory »

If you like early U2 you should check out a band called The Sound. Supremely obscure and OOP now, but very, very good. A little darker and more proficient than U2, so they didn't get anywhere.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

simo
Long Time Jerk

Post by simo »

Early U2 is really good. Their newer stuff is okay but doesn't compare.

I don't listen to their albums very often but if you ever have a chance to see one of their concerts, GO. It's amazing. Even if you aren't a big fan, it's a great show.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory Pox wrote:If you like early U2 you should check out a band called The Sound. Supremely obscure and OOP now, but very, very good. A little darker and more proficient than U2, so they didn't get anywhere.
Cheers, Kory. And in turn I'd recommend to you the first three Comsat Angels albums!

[youtube][/youtube]

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I think they peaked with the Red Rocks concert in '83, that's still a mind-blowing performance. Was disappointed with everything that followed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

How many decades has it been since Bono last picked up a guitar?

Not that he ever did much rhythm playing even on the rare song that needed a second hand...but still, at one point in ancient history he had other things to do besides preening for the jumbotron and opening his giant piehole between songs.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Rat Patrol wrote:How many decades has it been since Bono last picked up a guitar?

Not that he ever did much rhythm playing even on the rare song that needed a second hand...but still, at one point in ancient history he had other things to do besides preening for the jumbotron and opening his giant piehole between songs.
I remember reading a live review in an issue of Sounds in the summer of '81 saying, wow, these guys are great but that singer is really going to get carried away with himself in a couple of years. Sure enough, I wanted to strangle him when I saw them on the War tour. Of course, War and TUF were both bogged down with unlistenable filler as well (though the killer tracks made up for them, unlike on CR). Then they grabbed me by the balls again for Joshua Tree (though ironically the singles are the weakest tracks on it) then lost me with that insufferable Rattle and Hum crap. Then got me back again for Achtung Baby. And then, meh, whatever. But damn, Boy and October blew my shit away.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

IkarisOne wrote:I remember reading a live review in an issue of Sounds in the summer of '81 saying, wow, these guys are great but that singer is really going to get carried away with himself in a couple of years. Sure enough, I wanted to strangle him when I saw them on the War tour. Of course, War and TUF were both bogged down with unlistenable filler as well (though the killer tracks made up for them, unlike on CR). Then they grabbed me by the balls again for Joshua Tree (though ironically the singles are the weakest tracks on it) then lost me with that insufferable Rattle and Hum crap. Then got me back again for Achtung Baby. And then, meh, whatever. But damn, Boy and October blew my shit away.
I think I rate War a little higher than you do and October not quite so much, but otherwise we enjoy the same peaks and recognize the same valleys. Of course, I come from it more retroactively, but I like to think that speaks to the irrefutable rightness of the analysis more than anything.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

I look at U2 and thank my lucky stars that the Clash split up when they did. Their politicizing always seems to have a whiff of corporate hamburgers wafting in the background.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:I look at U2 and thank my lucky stars that the Clash split up when they did. Their politicizing always seems to have a whiff of corporate hamburgers wafting in the background.
So did the Clash's
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:I look at U2 and thank my lucky stars that the Clash split up when they did. Their politicizing always seems to have a whiff of corporate hamburgers wafting in the background.
So did the Clash's
Maybe on the '82 tours, before that I don't think so.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
So did the Clash's
Ah, bullshit. As irritating as U2 (read:Bono) can be, they at least try to do something for somebody other than themselves. Maybe it doesn't work, but at least they act like they care. The Clash never did jackshit for anyone but themselves (other than some publicity-garnering benefit gigs) and that's an irrefutable fact. Like the Us Festival when they hassled all the other bands to give up some of their fee for charity. How much of their half-million fee did the Clash pony up? Not a single fucking penny.

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
So did the Clash's
Ah, bullshit. As irritating as U2 (read:Bono) can be, they at least try to do something for somebody other than themselves. Maybe it doesn't work, but at least they act like they care. The Clash never did jackshit for anyone but themselves and that's an irrefutable fact. Like the Us Festival when they hassled all the other bands to give up some of their fee for charity. How much of their half-million fee did the Clash pony up? Not a single fucking penny.
Unlike the Elton Johns of this world, maybe the Clash didn't make their charitable acts public?
I've read many first-hand accounts of the Clash giving money to local music collectives/drug foundations etc., but don't let the truth stand in the way of the bug you have in your ass about the Clash.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:
Unlike the Elton Johns of this world, maybe the Clash didn't make their charitable acts public?
I've read many first-hand accounts of the Clash giving money to local music collectives/drug foundations etc.
Share with the rest of the class, then.

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
Heston wrote:
I've read many first-hand accounts of the Clash giving money to local music collectives/drug foundations etc.
Share with the rest of the class, then.
The BMC website has plenty of first-hand accounts attesting to the Clash's generosity with their time and money. I was going to link to a particular story (Newcastle 1980), but the site seems to be having a few problems.