General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Question for Heston

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I can definitely hear Clash in there—the more poppish Mick side of things. But did you have to ruin a perfectly good song with such base language? I mean, really!
There's at least five Vinnie Vincent Invasion songs with swearing in. If it's good enough for my idols...
Ankh. :yuck:
Now that's proper English swearing!
I was thinking more along the lines of Bill the Cat:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Yo Hes - just listened to "London (You Left Us Behind)" a couple times. I like it. Really, really like it. Only have crappy computer speakers and crappy headphones though. Seems this tune could really benefit from...Sandy Pearlman!!!! Seriously, it does have a very GEER feel to it, and I do think the drums could use a little reverb or boosting, and the vocals mixed a bit louder (is that you? nice nod to Watford!). If you geezers can't be arsed, ask Marky to work his magic , I bet that mofo could send this thing to the Top 40 :lol:

But enough of the unsolicited critiquing.
Great, great guitar playing. Those figures are very Mick Jonesy, each one having this great weaving harmony quality that just accentuates and enhances the melody. And what a melody - I love that bright, major key stuff (that's why I heard it to be a big anthem with those down to earth British folk/street lyrics; real fist pumping stuff).
And the guitar tones: I'm guessing you were using a Gibson. (that SG in the video?). But it sounds for all the world like a Paul Junior or Special or Melody Maker. It's got early MJ, Thunders and Ronson all over it. Damn nice work, man.
Also, in the video: the whole Fake Festivals thing is hilarious, especially the banner that says "London. New York. Paris. Tyne Port." Fucking brilliant!
Great band, great New Smash Single, too! :mrgreen:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:Ok, I've managed to get my hands on a batch of albums and badges. No t-shirts yet due to logistical/alcoholic management issues, but a PM with name and address will get you a free album and badge. Don't all rush at once! :mrgreen:

In the meantime I'll try and muster up a few plays for our new song. Folks are saying it sounds a bit Clashy, so here it is if you fancy a listen...

[youtube][/youtube]
That is outstanding.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:Ok, I've managed to get my hands on a batch of albums and badges. No t-shirts yet due to logistical/alcoholic management issues, but a PM with name and address will get you a free album and badge. Don't all rush at once! :mrgreen:

In the meantime I'll try and muster up a few plays for our new song. Folks are saying it sounds a bit Clashy, so here it is if you fancy a listen...

[youtube][/youtube]
That is outstanding.
The album should be a cracker.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

[youtube][/youtube]
I want a badge. I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't have to give you any stinking badges!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I don't have to give you any stinking badges!
I knew it was coming. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Thanks Wolt and Muppet for the kind words.

Muppet, yeah that's an SG I used on the track, though the solo is actually played on a Telecaster. Thanks for the thoughts on the mix, I might still have tinker before we put it on our next album. We can't afford to go into proper studios so I record everything in our rehearsal room. This can sometimes lead to mixing oversights as you're too close to the track to hear it properly, if you know what I mean? Therefore these pointers are much appreciated.

Would love to tempt Pearlman out of retirement, though Mickey Foote might be more in our price range!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Thanks Wolt and Muppet for the kind words.

Muppet, yeah that's an SG I used on the track, though the solo is actually played on a Telecaster. Thanks for the thoughts on the mix, I might still have tinker before we put it on our next album. We can't afford to go into proper studios so I record everything in our rehearsal room. This can sometimes lead to mixing oversights as you're too close to the track to hear it properly, if you know what I mean? Therefore these pointers are much appreciated.

Would love to tempt Pearlman out of retirement, though Mickey Foote might be more in our price range!
...and do a better job with less clutter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

well meaning humorous post that was too dumb even for me
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 30 Nov 2013, 4:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

...yeah and not sound so heavy metal-ish like Blue Oyster Cult an AC/DC an Aerosmith and Ki - ...never mind :shifty:
No Glam not Heavy Metal. Remember the same band berating those guys in CCR "when I am fitter, say the bells of Gary Glitter" "Come on and show me, say the bells of old Bowie". GEER has a Glam sound.

...anyway a remixed London. My source was the mp3 Heston sent me if he could kindly supply a Wav then I'm sure I could achieve a much fuller sound on the bass and drums. Still the guitar(s) are up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7dd3v ... Report.rar

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Cheers Marky, looking forward to hearing this when I get home. Will send you a WAV later today. I was toying with the idea of asking you to remaster all of the new album when it's done anyway. :approve:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

...yeah and not sound so heavy metal-ish like Blue Oyster Cult an AC/DC an Aerosmith and Ki - ...never mind :shifty:
No Glam not Heavy Metal. Remember the same band berating those guys in CCR "when I am fitter, say the bells of Gary Glitter" "Come on and show me, say the bells of old Bowie". GEER has a Glam sound.

...anyway a remixed London. My source was the mp3 Heston sent me if he could kindly supply a Wav then I'm sure I could achieve a much fuller sound on the bass and drums. Still the guitar(s) are up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7dd3v ... Report.rar
Marky I know I know I know. that's why I just deleted my post you quoted, misread it and your funny point about better job an less clutter. Never mind.
But yeah, if Heston is up for it, you should go for it. I'm sure Hes has the ear for it, but as the man said - sometimes the musician/creator is just too close to it to be properly objective. And anyway, Panic Report doesn't have to use your mix anyway. Hell, I wish I had sympathetic and talented dudes back in my day to help with sound/production idears. (and the technology knowhow).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Cheers Marky, looking forward to hearing this when I get home. Will send you a WAV later today. I was toying with the idea of asking you to remaster all of the new album when it's done anyway. :approve:
Would be an honour.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:well meaning humorous post that was too dumb even for me
Too late... :mrgreen:

I thought it was pretty funny anyway.

Oh oh, what's that? It's the sound of the GEER "metal or glam" can of worms being opened. :mrgreen: