The list of perfect songs:

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The list of perfect songs:

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:Face it lads, the Replacements cover isn't actually that good. Take the rose-coloured specs off and you'll realize it sounds like a drunken bar band who learned it 5 mins before the show.
And yet, being better than the original, what does that say about KISS?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:Face it lads, the Replacements cover isn't actually that good. Take the rose-coloured specs off and you'll realize it sounds like a drunken bar band who learned it 5 mins before the show.
It isn't though. KISS execute it perfectly, they could even afford to let the drummer sing it, that's how multi-talented they were.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

All the trademarks that make it so great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It isn't though. KISS execute it perfectly, they could even afford to let the drummer sing it, that's how multi-talented they were.
I think the word "it" (the second one) is the only word that isn't insane in those two sentences. You need to put away the ether rag before the damage is irreparable.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think the word "it" (the second one) is the only word that isn't insane in those two sentences. You need to put away the ether rag before the damage is irreparable.
Matey will have my back here with his cool, impartial analysis.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
War's over, folks. We've won.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: And yet, being better than the original, what does that say about KISS?
War's over, folks. We've won.
Grab that white flag and burn the fucker.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Did anyone mention Tin Soldier by the Small Faces? A colossus of a song.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I lol'd.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ha, I missed this earlier.

Kiss version rocks way harder. Lots of screaming and guitar solos. Replacements version is good and Westerberg or whoever the hell is the singer has a great voice for it, but it's lacking in the rock department.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: And yet, being better than the original, what does that say about KISS?
Ha, I missed this earlier.

Kiss version rocks way harder. Lots of screaming and guitar solos. Replacements version is good and Westerberg or whoever the hell is the singer has a great voice for it, but it's lacking in the rock department.

". . .lacking in the rock department."

What the fuck does that even mean? Do you even know what the Mats sound like, or are they just another one of those unibrowed drummer early-Cure blobs of goddamn wrong brain flotsam to you???

matedog

Post by matedog »

I haven't listened to either version in a few years so allow me to reassess...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:I haven't listened to either version in a few years so allow me to reassess...
Hint: the Mats' versions of Three Imaginary Boys and So. Central Rain are the ones that are not for a loss in the 'rock department'. :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:". . .lacking in the rock department."

What the fuck does that even mean? Do you even know what the Mats sound like, or are they just another one of those unibrowed drummer early-Cure blobs of goddamn wrong brain flotsam to you???
If I may, I believe Hoy needed to insert the word "cock" between "the" and "rock department."

matedog

Post by matedog »

Okay, just gave a relisten. The original conclusion was based on the live version that was on youtube. The studio version on the Kiss album is a bit stale and the Replacements' version is a bit livelier. However, the Alive version probably tops the Let It Be version for the reasons mentioned above - more rock.