Deep Bob Dylan Theory 2012

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Deep Bob Dylan Theory 2012

Post by Flex » 08 Dec 2015, 1:17am

Kory wrote:Is it weird to only really like the first four albums? I find a few things to like later, but not nearly as much as I get off on the early years.
I think a lot of folks just like a stretch of his work. I went to college with folks who liked him mostly before he went electric.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Dec 2015, 2:05am

Kory wrote:Is it weird to only really like the first four albums? I find a few things to like later, but not nearly as much as I get off on the early years.
Not really. With massive catalogue musicians you usually have people picking only sections of it.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 08 Dec 2015, 3:01pm

eumaas wrote:
Not really. With massive catalogue musicians you usually have people picking only sections of it.
Yeah, as I say, I like bits of Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 61 and stuff, but I think his main power lies in the acoustic stuff.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Dec 2015, 3:19pm

Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Yeah, as I say, I like bits of Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 61 and stuff, but I think his main power lies in the acoustic stuff.
What do you think of John Wesley Harding?
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 08 Dec 2015, 3:51pm

eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I don't much care for it he seems to be doing something weird(er) with his voice on it...when I first heard it, it seemed to me he was affecting a Liverpool accent a bit. I may be misremembering that though.
Inder:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Heraclitus (EMI)

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Dec 2015, 3:52pm

Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I don't much care for it he seems to be doing something weird(er) with his voice on it...when I first heard it, it seemed to me he was affecting a Liverpool accent a bit. I may be misremembering that though.
That album bears a lot of listening. I think it might be his best.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 08 Dec 2015, 3:53pm

eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote: Not really. With massive catalogue musicians you usually have people picking only sections of it.
Well I'll give it another go. Is it the lyrics that you enjoy?
Inder:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Heraclitus (EMI)

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Dec 2015, 4:00pm

Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well I'll give it another go. Is it the lyrics that you enjoy?
Nah, whole package. Folk and country based songs. His voice isn't quite as soft as Isle of Wight 1969 or Nashville Skyline, but it's a different voice for Dylan. The lyrics are mysterious without being over the top beat-surreal like his electric stuff, and the songs are concise. It's got a gothic vibe to it that you won't find on any other Dylan album. The one qualm is that the harmonica is mixed too high.

Flex

Post by Flex » 08 Dec 2015, 5:42pm

John Wesley Harding is great. Eerie country-folk that feels like a record he could only have cut after coming through the other side of his Rock And Roll triptych. I hope that period gets the bootleg treatment at some point.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread » 08 Dec 2015, 6:41pm

Flex wrote:John Wesley Harding is great. Eerie country-folk that feels like a record he could only have cut after coming through the other side of his Rock And Roll triptych. I hope that period gets the bootleg treatment at some point.
I like it. His catalog is so huge I always go back and find stuff that didn't grab me first time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Mar 2016, 6:33pm

Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater » 01 Mar 2016, 6:36pm

I bet that reads like aged chewing gum.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Mar 2016, 6:41pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I bet that reads like aged chewing gum.
Hey, this is my line of work!
You're almost certainly right.

Flex

Post by Flex » 01 Mar 2016, 9:03pm

Oooh, this looks interesting. Thanks Doc!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Apr 2016, 12:56pm