Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Deep Bob Dylan Theory 2012

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The non-word "knowed" in "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" is so damned perfect. It feels not like a forced rhyme than an utterly required manipulation. There's an elemental satisfaction in hearing the line that is so rare.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 8:13pm
The non-word "knowed" in "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" is so damned perfect. It feels not like a forced rhyme than an utterly required manipulation. There's an elemental satisfaction in hearing the line that is so rare.
Love it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Extreme same.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

He may have done more textually rich stuff, but Dont Think Twice is my favourite Dylan song on most days of the week.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:13am
He may have done more textually rich stuff, but Dont Think Twice is my favourite Dylan song on most days of the week.
Tho I lack the knowledge and experience with his catalogue, and realize that there are culturally more important songs—e.g., I'm mostly persuaded by the many critics who argue that "Like a Rolling Stone" created rock music (as distinct from rock n roll) or serves as the watershed—but I probably agree with this. It has such an easy comfort to it, the music itself confirms the song's title.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I stumbled onto a gallery that had some of Dylan's paintings for sale for between £9 - 20k. Quite nice to be in the same room as his stuff, but it was pretty amateurish for the most part with no sense of feeling that didn't speak to me. Apart from this one, which reminded me of his songs in a really charming way. It's got no great technique, but it in person there was something very appealing about it.

There were also some of Ron Wood's paintings of the Rolling Stones that were on the whole much more pleasing. Really vibrant, concert action excitement stuff.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 6:16pm
I stumbled onto a gallery that had some of Dylan's paintings for sale for between £9 - 20k. Quite nice to be in the same room as his stuff, but it was pretty amateurish for the most part with no sense of feeling that didn't speak to me. Apart from this one, which reminded me of his songs in a really charming way. It's got no great technique, but it in person there was something very appealing about it.
While I don't care for the jittery quality to it—full disclosure: I know dick all about art, in case there were doubts—I do like the bright yellows, reds, and greens of the neon. They draw the eye. It's neat as yet another counterpoint to his status as some kind of guardian or voice of a lost, traditional America, yet that painting suggests a certain nostalgia for the commercialized America that killed the earlier, supposedly more innocent, truer America. This has a Happy Days smile to it.

Flex

Post by Flex »

New Bootleg Series announced, focuing on Bob's gospel years: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... od-w502023

Already ordered the deluxe box, natch. Looking forward to it. I remember rcs (?) sharing some bootlegs from that era with me, and they were great. These deep dive sets the Dylan machine has been unbelievably rewarding for die-hard fans. Very well-curated stuff. Can't imagine this will be any different.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2013, 6:25pm
Will the cunt be singing in tune on these versions?
I was looking for something in this thread and came upon this and started laughing quite loudly.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 7:58pm
Heston wrote:
I was looking for something in this thread and came upon this and started laughing quite loudly.
I must have been in a grumpy mood that week.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 5:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 7:58pm
Heston wrote:
I must have been in a grumpy mood that week.
Your Take That tickets must not have come thru.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Missing A Legend: Bob Dylan Has Had To Hang Out With John Lithgow By Himself Since Tom Petty Died Even Though They Were Really Only Friends Through Tom Petty

http://www.clickhole.com/article/missin ... n-lit-6790

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 6:56pm
Missing A Legend: Bob Dylan Has Had To Hang Out With John Lithgow By Himself Since Tom Petty Died Even Though They Were Really Only Friends Through Tom Petty

http://www.clickhole.com/article/missin ... n-lit-6790
:lol: The real Dylan is weird enough that I would immediately believe a person who told me he has an encyclopedic knowledge of 3rd Rock.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Hey Doc, (and apologies if this has actually be referenced in the thread and I'm not remembering), have you read/encountered The Poltical World of Bob Dylan? It seems to land on the academic-ish side.

I'm reading a Counterpunch article discussing the book, and the era of Bob's conversion to Christianity, and they argue that Dylan was essentially embracing Christian Anarchism during that period, which I obviously find extremely intriguing.

Pex Lives!