THE REPLACEMENTS Song of the Day

General music discussion.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: THE REPLACEMENTS Song of the Day

Post by Rat Patrol »

It's a hoedown!

[v][/v]

Not sure, but that might be Chris doing the tandem vocals.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Jesus...PTMM could've been a full double album with no measurable drop-off in quality with all the stuff they didn't include on it. This well-crafted gem didn't even make the extended release, and to-date is still only available on the How Did The Vomit Get Up On The Ceiling? outtakes boot.

HDTVGUOTC? is an essential pickup, BTW, for collecting all the '86-87 extras in one place. Gives a good representation of the sheer breadth of demos, alt takes, and full-produced album tracks that didn't make the album. Even by the standard of the metric asston of extra songs and studio takes in the vaults from each album except for ASD, the PTMM early-'86 (Bob demos) and late-'86 (post-Bob/three-piece demos + album) sessions were an unusually productive songwriting blitz. I'm almost surprised Warner didn't do an odds-and-sods release for 1988 to tide over fans during that year off from touring.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:[v][/v]

Jesus...PTMM could've been a full double album with no measurable drop-off in quality with all the stuff they didn't include on it. This well-crafted gem didn't even make the extended release, and to-date is still only available on the How Did The Vomit Get Up On The Ceiling? outtakes boot.

HDTVGUOTC? is an essential pickup, BTW, for collecting all the '86-87 extras in one place. Gives a good representation of the sheer breadth of demos, alt takes, and full-produced album tracks that didn't make the album. Even by the standard of the metric asston of extra songs and studio takes in the vaults from each album except for ASD, the PTMM early-'86 (Bob demos) and late-'86 (post-Bob/three-piece demos + album) sessions were an unusually productive songwriting blitz. I'm almost surprised Warner didn't do an odds-and-sods release for 1988 to tide over fans during that year off from touring.
Does that HDTVGUOTC boot contain stuff that's not on the 4 disc sessions Anthology?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:

Does that HDTVGUOTC boot contain stuff that's not on the 4 disc sessions Anthology?
Anthology is literally sourced from HDTVGUOTC. All it is is a Mats Archive completists' set--MP3 or FLAC in Megalist-style--culling from the best sources on pre-existing pro release LP and silver CD boots like this one, Boink!, and others (I don't think it includes the '81-83 Paul home demos, which are a separate Mats Archive compilation...just the full-band outtakes). I don't think it ever made the rounds as a (credible) physical product. Except for cutting the live radio session performances off Boink! to limit it to just recording studio material, it's a verbatim repackaging of those boots. These were the original sources of the best-sound quality versions of the outtakes, so nothing lower-gen on Anthology. And I don't think it upgraded the sound to the official-release outtakes on the extended album releases or All for Nothing/Nothing for All in order to skirt the copyright gods, so some of the more well-known outtakes are available in better quality on the official releases.

So, yeah, you do get HDTVGUOTC--which has been around for years--in the package in its original running order. Starting with the last 4 tracks on Anthology Disc 2 and running through Track 18 on Disc 3. Then they sandwiched it between some secondary, near-duplicate takes of a few album tracks that spills onto Disc 4. PTMM/'86-87 is by far the biggest chunk of the Anthology, spanning all the way from the second half of Disc 2 to the first track of Disc 4.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Anthology is literally sourced from HDTVGUOTC. All it is is a Mats Archive completists' set--MP3 or FLAC in Megalist-style--culling from the best sources on pre-existing pro release LP and silver CD boots like this one, Boink!, and others (I don't think it includes the '81-83 Paul home demos, which are a separate Mats Archive compilation...just the full-band outtakes). I don't think it ever made the rounds as a (credible) physical product. Except for cutting the live radio session performances off Boink! to limit it to just recording studio material, it's a verbatim repackaging of those boots. These were the original sources of the best-sound quality versions of the outtakes, so nothing lower-gen on Anthology. And I don't think it upgraded the sound to the official-release outtakes on the extended album releases or All for Nothing/Nothing for All in order to skirt the copyright gods, so some of the more well-known outtakes are available in better quality on the official releases.

So, yeah, you do get HDTVGUOTC--which has been around for years--in the package in its original running order. Starting with the last 4 tracks on Anthology Disc 2 and running through Track 18 on Disc 3. Then they sandwiched it between some secondary, near-duplicate takes of a few album tracks that spills onto Disc 4. PTMM/'86-87 is by far the biggest chunk of the Anthology, spanning all the way from the second half of Disc 2 to the first track of Disc 4.
Cheers for the info mate. I only have that Anthology in mp3 source so I will have to search a FLAC source. Do you have HDTVGOTC in FLAC? that you would be willing to share. I wouldn't mind having a play with the sound from a better source.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Cheers for the info mate. I only have that Anthology in mp3 source so I will have to search a FLAC source. Do you have HDTVGOTC in FLAC? that you would be willing to share. I wouldn't mind having a play with the sound from a better source.

Nope. Just shitty 256K MP3 I got off LimeWire like 10 years ago. I need to get around to finding an upgrade somewhere.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Nope. Just shitty 256K MP3 I got off LimeWire like 10 years ago. I need to get around to finding an upgrade somewhere.
OK no probs, cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Unreleased track D.E.A.D. (plus some other chunks of that show I've probably posted before...couldn't find a link isolated to that one track).

Never understood why they didn't ever record this one in the studio. Maybe the lyrics a tad too dark for inclusion on Stink.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Underrated slow cooker.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Shit...Billy Joe joined them onstage again last night in Atlanta. X(

Spiff...you might have to do some unsavory things ahead of the hometown show in Sept. to keep this experience untainted.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Probably the Mats-iest in execution of the 'new' Mats recordings on the Songs for Slim tribute.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Rat Patrol wrote:Shit...Billy Joe joined them onstage again last night in Atlanta. X(

Spiff...you might have to do some unsavory things ahead of the hometown show in Sept. to keep this experience untainted.
Transmission received. :shifty:

If Billy Joel shows his ugly mug in the Twin Cities, he's in for a good ol' whuppin' that will make him cry for his mama.
Last edited by Spiff on 13 May 2014, 8:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

[v][/v]

Pretty close to the best Westerberg's ever done at capturing wrenching, raw heartache to acetate. Up there with Answering Machine in the canon.

Acoustic home demo version was finally released on the Stink reissue, but that's just Westerberg strumming his guitar. This amazing full-band version is still MIA from the vaults after 3 decades and has never turned up in lower gen on any boots.