THE REPLACEMENTS Song of the Day

General music discussion.
JohnS
Junco Partner

Re: THE REPLACEMENTS Song of the Day

Post by JohnS » 18 Jul 2017, 8:10pm

New live 2CD set on the way... Live at Maxwell's, Hoboken 1986!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ls-w492369
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 18 Jul 2017, 8:16pm

So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 21 Jul 2017, 6:09am

Oooh! Maxwell's 2/4/86 is already a shit-hot boot of a pretty focused outing. If there's pro-recorded sound of the whole show and not just the few tracks shot there for Old Grey Whistle Test this would be an epic buy.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 18 Sep 2017, 10:38am

99% of the way through Mehr's bio which forced me to dig into their catalog a lot more thoroughly than I had before. Love the demo version of Raised (Razed) in the City:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 09 Oct 2017, 12:53pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 6:09am
Oooh! Maxwell's 2/4/86 is already a shit-hot boot of a pretty focused outing. If there's pro-recorded sound of the whole show and not just the few tracks shot there for Old Grey Whistle Test this would be an epic buy.

Came out on Friday. Listening now and it's pretty damn awesome.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.