Re: How's This for a Lineup

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:I met the lead singer of REO Speedwagon at his house
:shifty:
He was actually in a really big house. There were gold/platinum records on the wall and stuff. He was in a robe, eating cereal at 3pm. I helped him move a table.
Is that your new job, table mover ?
Hoy totally blew him.
And thanked him for the honour.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I love that Hoy's "better version" of this show includes meeting/watching the two weakest acts and then doing a cover of arguably the weakest of the 4 remaining acts (and he probably covered Rock the Cradle of Love). :rolleyes:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I love that Hoy's "better version" of this show includes meeting/watching the two weakest acts and then doing a cover of arguably the weakest of the 4 remaining acts (and he probably covered Rock the Cradle of Love). :rolleyes:
He makes it seem so easy to be Potsie, but I suspect it involves a lot of practice being so weak.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

eumaas wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
matedog wrote:I met the lead singer of REO Speedwagon at his house
:shifty:
He was actually in a really big house. There were gold/platinum records on the wall and stuff. He was in a robe, eating cereal at 3pm. I helped him move a table.
Is that your new job, table mover ?
Hoy totally blew him.
I was young and impressionable at the time. I might have done it for a platinum record case of "Keep On Loving You"
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Potsie, kidding aside, what Idol song did you cover?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:I love that Hoy's "better version" of this show includes meeting/watching the two weakest acts and then doing a cover of arguably the weakest of the 4 remaining acts (and he probably covered Rock the Cradle of Love). :rolleyes:
Not just watching/meeting, helping one move and seeing the other one make a clearly befuddled Arnold Schwarzenegger pretend to play guitar on the longest and most awkward version of "We're Not Gonna Take It" ever outside the California state capitol. As for another pointless anecdote, it was "Rebel Yell" (obvious I know), but we accidentally got double booked at the Whisky and ended up playing at like 1:30am. There was no one left except like two of our friends, but I noticed the sound guy pumping his fist to the "more more more" part.

Sure Blondie has some great tunes and are some top notch musicians and apparently people around here love Devo, but I think I will pass for the aforementioned reasons.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

How much Devo have you heard? Their back catalogue is actually phenomenal (at least for thier first 3.5 albums or so).

"Rebel Yell" is a fun song, but I would have been more impressed by "Dancing With Myself." And I would have given you a week without mockery if it were "Kiss Me Deadly."

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:How much Devo have you heard? Their back catalogue is actually phenomenal (at least for thier first 3.5 albums or so).

"Rebel Yell" is a fun song, but I would have been more impressed by "Dancing With Myself." And I would have given you a week without mockery if it were "Kiss Me Deadly."
I have heard oh so little. But I have been aware that there is a wealth of quality material out there.

The only Dancing With Myself cover I had heard at the time was done by Blink 182 and it was embarrassingly awful. I think we went with RY because it rocks the hardest. Also, I think "Kiss Me Deadly" was done by Lita Ford.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:How much Devo have you heard? Their back catalogue is actually phenomenal (at least for thier first 3.5 albums or so).

I have heard oh so little. But I have been aware that there is a wealth of quality material out there.

The only Dancing With Myself cover I had heard at the time was done by Blink 182 and it was embarrassingly awful. I think we went with RY because it rocks the hardest. Also, I think "Kiss Me Deadly" was done by Lita Ford.
Different, far lamer song.

Kiss Me Deadly was a Generation X song. My favorite song he's associated with.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:

Different, far lamer song.

Kiss Me Deadly was a Generation X song. My favorite song he's associated with.
Me also as well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There's going to be a nostalgia / camp element to seeing any of those bands—it's not likely that any of the bands will rise beyond much more than novelty / nostalgia act—but Blondie, Devo, and the P. Furs were a gazillion times better than REO Speedwagon or Twisted Sister at their best.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:There's going to be a nostalgia / camp element to seeing any of those bands—it's not likely that any of the bands will rise beyond much more than novelty / nostalgia act—but Blondie, Devo, and the P. Furs were a gazillion times better than REO Speedwagon or Twisted Sister at their best.
Great, so Hooky agrees with me. *High Five!*

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:There's going to be a nostalgia / camp element to seeing any of those bands—it's not likely that any of the bands will rise beyond much more than novelty / nostalgia act—but Blondie, Devo, and the P. Furs were a gazillion times better than REO Speedwagon or Twisted Sister at their best.
I didn't see him as agreeing with you.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

matedog wrote:
I saw the Furs about three years back and they were still quite good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Um …

… no. I'm saying that the whole affair won't exactly be kick ass beyond fun nostalgia—and there's nothing wrong with that, I suppose—but that Blondie, Devo, and the Furs, because they were always better that REO and TS, will be way way way better this time around.

edit: Delete "this time around." It's confusing and adds nothing but confusion to what I was saying. REO Speedwagon and Twisted Sister suck. The other bands don't. Billy Idol mostly sucks.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 27 Aug 2008, 11:42am, edited 1 time in total.