Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 6:41pm
Anybody hear the The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music; The 20-20 Sessions (2018)?, it looks like a copyright dump, very enjoyable. Also a live 68 set out too.
Listening to this today. Winter has been holding on tightly to Wisconsin (it snowed on Saturday) and the cabin fever is as bad as I've ever remembered it. The Beach Boys feel like a great way to think blue skies and sunshine today. They were one of the first bands I ever got into on a truly deep and obsessive level and still one of my true musical loves.

I picked up the 2020 Sessions last year - but then put it aside without really giving it the listen it deserves. There is some really fantastic stuff on it. That period in their history often gets overlooked - which is unfair because they were still creating some absolutely fantastic music - but the general public was no longer listening. The whole period that ran from Smiley Smile through Holland is really fascinating because it saw them making some of their most adventurous music.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 10:00am
coffeepotman wrote:
Anybody hear the The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music; The 20-20 Sessions (2018)?, it looks like a copyright dump, very enjoyable. Also a live 68 set out too.
Listening to this today. Winter has been holding on tightly to Wisconsin (it snowed on Saturday) and the cabin fever is as bad as I've ever remembered it. The Beach Boys feel like a great way to think blue skies and sunshine today. They were one of the first bands I ever got into on a truly deep and obsessive level and still one of my true musical loves.

I picked up the 2020 Sessions last year - but then put it aside without really giving it the listen it deserves. There is some really fantastic stuff on it. That period in their history often gets overlooked - which is unfair because they were still creating some absolutely fantastic music - but the general public was no longer listening. The whole period that ran from Smiley Smile through Holland is really fascinating because it saw them making some of their most adventurous music.
Huge fan of that era. And also Love You, which manages to be outsider art despite being made by a band that was one a legit chart contender to the Beatles.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 11:00am
WestwayKid wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 10:00am
coffeepotman wrote:

Huge fan of that era. And also Love You, which manages to be outsider art despite being made by a band that was one a legit chart contender to the Beatles.
The arc of their career is pretty fascinating. A garage band that played songs about cars, surfing, and girls that turned into a sophisticated pop band by the mid 1960's and then dropped off of the radar until appearing again in the mid 1970's as a nostalgia driven act. It's that "lost" period that intrigues me the most because contrary to what many people think - they didn't stop making music. Not only that - they kept trying to move forward artistically as a band. It really wasn't until Capitol released Endless Summer in 1974 that the band ground to a halt musically. I think the success of that comp gave Mike Love license to take over and start the real "fun in the sun" nostalgia push that continues to this day. There were some interesting detours - Love You being one - but overall the progression that started with Surfin' Safari in 1962 and ended with Holland in 1973 was over.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

A good example of the mishmash that became their career is 1979's L.A. (Light Album). You get stuff like Good Timin' that plays upon trying to capture their classic sound. You get some MOR Carl Wilson tunes. You get some glop from Mike Love (Sumahama). There are a couple of standout Dennis tracks and the horrid disco version of Here Comes the Night. There was no direction anymore. Holland came and went without a trace - but it at least sounded like a cohesive project from a functioning band.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I spent last week out in the Monterey/Salinas area of California and I had Holland on near constant repeat. It's one of my fave BB albums, but it sounded even better listening to it out there. The California "trilogy" on that LP is a really solid piece of work.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Welcome to the apocalypse

In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JoseUnidos wrote:
30 May 2019, 9:41am
Welcome to the apocalypse

This should really be kept in the rape van thread, but
1. California Beach
2. It's OK (feat. Hanson)
3. Surfin'
4. Calfornia Sun
5. Surfin' Safari
6. On and On and On
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Girl From Ipanema
9. Over and Over
10. Keepin' Summer Alive
11. Summertime Blues
12. Rockaway Beach

I think this was my Trapper Keeper back in 92.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Butchering two of my favorite songs (RB and Summertime Blues). This man is a monster. A monster who changed Flex's life, but a monster nonetheless.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That … was dreadful. I'm sorry, kids, but summer has been cancelled. We are proceeding directly to autumn.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I’ll listen to that thing at some point but NOT TODAY, SATAN.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This is going to be a nightmare.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm finishing up a lecture on the Wrecking Crew, who played on 60s Beach Boys records once Brian got really serious, including Pet Sounds. So I grabbed a picture of the Pet Sounds cover.

How perfect is Mike Love's dismissive look even in the official photo for the album? Stick to the fucking formula is all over his asshole face.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 8:48pm
I'm finishing up a lecture on the Wrecking Crew, who played on 60s Beach Boys records once Brian got really serious, including Pet Sounds. So I grabbed a picture of the Pet Sounds cover.

How perfect is Mike Love's dismissive look even in the official photo for the album? Stick to the fucking formula is all over his asshole face.
Snort.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 8:45pm
I don’t read this thread. :disshame:
It’s even the same page.