Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 11:00am
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:51pm
Took a bit of searching, but I guess it is a gatefold:

I still can't figure out who the hell anyone is. Surfboard guy is Dennis cause he surfs? The super hairy one isn't actually super hairy because you can't see his hairline, so that's actually Mike which means the other one on the left is Carl? And Bruce and the two randos at the time don't exist?
The covers for Spirit of America and Sunshine Dream (the 2 Endless Summer follow ups) are equally bizarre.
They rule. Sunshine Dream is probably the best of the three. I've heard some people swear the original vinyl pressings sound great, but haven't gotten around to picking one up yet.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:51pm
Took a bit of searching, but I guess it is a gatefold:

I still can't figure out who the hell anyone is. Surfboard guy is Dennis cause he surfs? The super hairy one isn't actually super hairy because you can't see his hairline, so that's actually Mike which means the other one on the left is Carl? And Bruce and the two randos at the time don't exist?
It is Dennis with the surfboard. Carl is reading the magazine. Brian is obscured by the foliage. Mike is in the wave and Al is on the far right. Bruce isn't featured.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2012, 10:35pm
NEW LISTENING TO THE BEACH BOYS ENTRY. It's my 13th and it's about Shut Down, Volume 2. I think I may be starting to go slowly insane. Read and decide for yourself:
Side two opens with the strong B-side from the “Fun, Fun, Fun” single, Why Do Fools Fall in Love. I like this song more every time I hear it.

Shut Down, Part II is a fun instrumental, blaring horns and a driving groove which make it a worthy sequel to the original. After that is a… competent… cover of Louie Louie. As someone wrote (liner notes, maybe?) it’s probably the only version of the song with decipherable lyrics. I still like the Black Flag version best, myself.

The album closes with Denny’s Drums a.k.a. the Greatest Beach Boys Song of All Time. I hope Mike Love and Bruce Johnston think about having some hired gun play it at their “Beach Boys” concerts.

Anyways, let’s pick a song. As usual, I’ll try to stay away from tracks that were or will be featured on singles, so let’s go with a hidden gem this time.
Full article and such:
I'm reading Carl's biography now and it's forcing me to explore beyond their classic 85-95 era. The Fools cover was unexpectedly good. There are some weird novelties on this album mixed with all time bangers. Interesting time for them.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:46am
Flex wrote:
NEW LISTENING TO THE BEACH BOYS ENTRY. It's my 13th and it's about Shut Down, Volume 2. I think I may be starting to go slowly insane. Read and decide for yourself:
Side two opens with the strong B-side from the “Fun, Fun, Fun” single, Why Do Fools Fall in Love. I like this song more every time I hear it.

Shut Down, Part II is a fun instrumental, blaring horns and a driving groove which make it a worthy sequel to the original. After that is a… competent… cover of Louie Louie. As someone wrote (liner notes, maybe?) it’s probably the only version of the song with decipherable lyrics. I still like the Black Flag version best, myself.

The album closes with Denny’s Drums a.k.a. the Greatest Beach Boys Song of All Time. I hope Mike Love and Bruce Johnston think about having some hired gun play it at their “Beach Boys” concerts.

Anyways, let’s pick a song. As usual, I’ll try to stay away from tracks that were or will be featured on singles, so let’s go with a hidden gem this time.
Full article and such:
I'm reading Carl's biography now and it's forcing me to explore beyond their classic 85-95 era. The Fools cover was unexpectedly good. There are some weird novelties on this album mixed with all time bangers. Interesting time for them.
It doesn't have the hipster cool credit of their later 60s and 70s work, but there's a decent amount of fun to be had on these albums. Still willing to be un self consciously weird and figure out what they're good at.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:49am
matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:46am
Flex wrote:

Full article and such:
It doesn't have the hipster cool credit of their later 60s and 70s work, but there's a decent amount of fun to be had on these albums. Still willing to be un self consciously weird and figure out what they're good at.
Between "Don't Worry Baby" and the JFK song, there is some real substance to this album even if it does have that weird Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson or whatever bit, a lame drum solo, and a Carl surf rock instrumental.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Yeah, those are two all timers. I think it's insane they were just dropping songs like that while still doing insipid school songs and stuff at the same time.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:54am
Yeah, those are two all timers. I think it's insane they were just dropping songs like that while still doing insipid school songs and stuff at the same time.
It's a very decent albums. A handful of absolute classics as was previously pointed out: Don't Worry Baby and Warmth of the Sun, but also Fun, Fun, Fun.

Why Do Fools Fall In Love is a GREAT cover: incredible wall-of-sound production. Keep An Eye On Summer, In the Parking Lot, you hear Brian progressing at an incredible clip.

It does fall flat at times - This Car of Mine is pretty mundane and then they pad out the track listing with a couple of instrumentals (which are not terrible).

With their early catalog - the growth from Surfin' Safari to Pet Sounds is crazy.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Also, the story of how the multi tracks of Shut Down were found is crazy. Some guy had them sitting in his garage for decades. He had no idea what was on them, but knew to reach out to someone who did. In this case, BB author Jon Stebbins who recognized them for what they were and got them into the hands of Alan Boyd and Mark Linett - who were then able to finally create stereo versions of tracks like Don't Worry Baby. The guy who had the tapes? All he wanted in return was a chance to record some of his own songs - which he did with Linett's help.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I'm working through the reconstructed Smile now and fuck is that album dense. On a surface level, it's fine, but clearly there's a lot to get from it by doing a deeper dive. Just not sure I can put the effort in.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:43am
I'm working through the reconstructed Smile now and fuck is that album dense. On a surface level, it's fine, but clearly there's a lot to get from it by doing a deeper dive. Just not sure I can put the effort in.
This is actually a great prompt: WWK (or anyone else), any recommendations on the best Smile reconstructions to check out? I have the box, of course, but there's always been a little element of having the benefit of hindsight when putting the album together. I actually really love Brian's solo version of Smile. Any good boots or fan recons that folks like me and Hoy should be digging into?

Addendum: and yeah, it's super dense. I'm a total layman musically, but when I listen to it or various sessions I can both tell why it probably felt so hard for Brian to finish but at the same time there's just so damned much material it seems like it should have been able to get over the finish line.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:50am
matedog wrote:

Addendum: and yeah, it's super dense. I'm a total layman musically, but when I listen to it or various sessions I can both tell why it probably felt so hard for Brian to finish but at the same time there's just so damned much material it seems like it should have been able to get over the finish line.
For me, it's really hard to tell if the flourishes be it musical, structural, or lyrical are actually elevating the songs. Like the extended version of Heroes and Villains. I'm familiar with the single version initially, so that probably sways my opinion, but I prefer the tighter arrangement, but I can't really say for sure why the extra bits don't elevate it for me.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 12:15pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

For me, it's really hard to tell if the flourishes be it musical, structural, or lyrical are actually elevating the songs. Like the extended version of Heroes and Villains. I'm familiar with the single version initially, so that probably sways my opinion, but I prefer the tighter arrangement, but I can't really say for sure why the extra bits don't elevate it for me.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was some like Brian's (at least more mundane) problem with getting it wrapped up. You have all these interesting bits, and you have this idea on how it's supposed to fit together, but how are you putting it together in a way that elevated the material? Hard to do, especially when you're having a total breakdown.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Even a god damn live album's history is a convoluted cancelled mess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei%27d_in_Hawaii

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
This is actually a great prompt: WWK (or anyone else), any recommendations on the best Smile reconstructions to check out? I have the box, of course, but there's always been a little element of having the benefit of hindsight when putting the album together. I actually really love Brian's solo version of Smile. Any good boots or fan recons that folks like me and Hoy should be digging into?

I've thought a lot about Smile over the past few decades. I've come to the conclusion that the LP would have been far more conventional in structure than what years of fan speculation and then Brian's own reimagining have led us to believe. It would have been a traditional 2-sided LP. There would not have been suites of songs, link tracks, and so on. Instead, 12 individual tracks looking something like this:

Side A:
Our Prayer / Heroes and Villains
Vege-Tables
Do You Like Worms?
Child is Father of the Man
The Old Master Painter
Cabin Essence

Side B:
Good Vibrations
Wonderful
I'm in Great Shape
Wind Chimes
The Elements
Surf's Up

So, what was The Elements? This is as close to a suite as Brian would have gotten, including parts of what Love to Say Dada and Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.

I used to spend hours trying to build my own Smile - scouring the early days of the internet for clues, picking up a copy of Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile and so on. I had these elaborate mixes - truly crazy stuff. It was fun, but at the end of it all I think Smile would have been far closer to Pet Sounds in structure, just with weirder songs.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 12:17pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 12:15pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that was some like Brian's (at least more mundane) problem with getting it wrapped up. You have all these interesting bits, and you have this idea on how it's supposed to fit together, but how are you putting it together in a way that elevated the material? Hard to do, especially when you're having a total breakdown.
I once had a back and forth with former BB engineer Steve Desper on the Smiley Smile board and he talked about working with Brian in the late 60's / early 70's. He dispelled the notion that Brian was a shut down mess who couldn't work, but described a guy who also didn't have a ton of structure. A song like Sail On, Sailor - which appeared on Holland - was started by Brian in the late 60's. He'd work on it, put it back in the box, then pick it up again weeks or months later. This went on for years. I imagine this happened with Smile - Brian gaining and losing interest until the whole thing just petered out.