Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 11:37am
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 11:16am
9 to 5 by Sheena Easton :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Three-week ban!
I worked in a grocery store when I was younger and was subjected to a lot of bad piped in music...but this was one of the few songs that would actually make me cringe. It's just completely awful.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Three-week ban!
I worked in a grocery store when I was younger and was subjected to a lot of bad piped in music...but this was one of the few songs that would actually make me cringe. It's just completely awful.
Retail work is a great opportunity to build up a supply of songs that will generate a homicidal rage. I worked as a janitor at a mall in high school and that wretched "I Just Called To Say I Love You" was always on. It went from irritant to pure bile.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 4:47am
Train of fools - Aretha?
Actually, it's "Chain of Fools."

I played that song, which is in the key of "C" and which features the C chord -- and nothing but the C chord -- throughout, in a performance in November.

Lovely tune.

Maybe Train in Vain, eh?

Or, one of my newly found favorites, "This Train" -- which I also played, and sang a verse to -- in the November performance.

Sadly, no video of this performance exists ... :shifty:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Three-week ban!
I wonder how Heston will try and defend this one..."It is a brilliant treatise on the post modern feminist movement. Sheena rejects the notion that to be a feminist, you have to work outside the home. Yes, she supports her man, but she also burns her bra. It's subversive!"
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 7:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 6:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 6:07pm
2. Train in Vain - The Clash
Two-week SRP ban!
Only two, fuck that plan failed miserably! Okay try this on for your SRP.

Draize Train - The Smiths
Solid tune. Those instrumentals confirm they would have been shit hot even if Morrissey had been murdered with a turkey leg by an immigrant.
Eh, it's basically the same song as Money Changes Everything. It was clear that Marr was winding down his days of talent while Morrissey was about to rocket through the stratosphere.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 6:07pm
2. Train in Vain - The Clash
Two-week SRP ban!

Solid tune. Those instrumentals confirm they would have been shit hot even if Morrissey had been murdered with a turkey leg by an immigrant.
Eh, it's basically the same song as Money Changes Everything. It was clear that Marr was winding down his days of talent while Morrissey was about to rocket through the stratosphere.
I plan on tripping you one day.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:08pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Three-week ban!
I wonder how Heston will try and defend this one..."It is a brilliant treatise on the post modern feminist movement. Sheena rejects the notion that to be a feminist, you have to work outside the home. Yes, she supports her man, but she also burns her bra. It's subversive!"
I will only try and defend it by saying it's a good tune. Wasn't it called "Morning Train" in the States? I think it was because Dolly Parton had a song called 9 to 5. Can people in America not absorb the fact that two different songs might have the same name?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Two-week SRP ban!

Also, not to denigrate the music of the band, but I'm not sure they would have really been that cool without Morrissey. The song structures are all quite simple, with one section coming right after the next in a line. The parts themselves are cool, but there's not much in the way of interesting or interlocking transitions—they're all just a bunch of parts strung together. It was Morrissey's phrasing and penchant for using the verse as a chorus and vice-versa that made them a great band. Trip that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:25pm
I will only try and defend it by saying it's a good tune. Wasn't it called "Morning Train" in the States? I think it was because Dolly Parton had a song called 9 to 5. Can people in America not absorb the fact that two different songs might have the same name?
But if you're an executive in an industry where 90% of the product fails to turn a profit, you're being dumb by not doing what you can to make your record stand out. The only question any record exec ever asks is, "How do we market this?" All subsequent questions and strategies flow from there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Also, not to denigrate the music of the band, but I'm not sure they would have really been that cool without Morrissey. The song structures are all quite simple, with one section coming right after the next in a line. The parts themselves are cool, but there's not much in the way of interesting or interlocking transitions—they're all just a bunch of parts strung together. It was Morrissey's phrasing and penchant for using the verse as a chorus and vice-versa that made them a great band. Trip that.
Oh, sure, I was being semi-tongue-in-cheek. Morrissey's lyrics, voice, and persona allowed them to stand out amongst the crowd. Even with a more conventional singer, the band would have been really good—Marr was filthy with pop hooks—but the history of rock is littered with talented groups that never got sufficient notice.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Isn't the history of popular music mostly full of songs which are "a bunch of parts strung together?" The Bohemian Rhaosodies of this world are the usually the exception rather than the rule.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Three-week ban!
Maybe? IT IS NOT A GOOD TUNE, HESTON.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Three-week ban!
I believe it was called Morning Train (9 to 5) in the States.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh, sure, I was being semi-tongue-in-cheek. Morrissey's lyrics, voice, and persona allowed them to stand out amongst the crowd. Even with a more conventional singer, the band would have been really good—Marr was filthy with pop hooks—but the history of rock is littered with talented groups that never got sufficient notice.
I'm trying to remember back to when I was 12-13 years old and first got into The Smiths. I think I was really drawn in by Morrissey's lyrics, voice, and persona. He did set them apart.